Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/17/2012 1:20pm

Style: Judo - Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

MA in Charlotte, NC

Probably a bad idea to post this in YMAS, but hey, maybe this will be interesting.

So I've taken a few years off from MA in general (and BS.net, sadly), but I've finally got a decent career going and I'm going to be moving to Charlotte, NC in the near future.

I'm looking to get back into the mix, but the selection is pretty wide and varied (with an extraordinary amount of McDojos in the city, but that's not surprising).

Specifically, what are some good dojos/gyms in the area? I've got history with Judo, BJJ, and boxing (with an unholy amount of Shaolin Do mixed in). That's what I'm looking for mainly (NOT SD), but muay thai or kyokushin are great alternatives, too.
    "Keep a sharp knife, shiny boots and be on time."

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    11/17/2012 6:45pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by War Wizard View Post
    Probably a bad idea to post this in YMAS, but hey, maybe this will be interesting.

So I've taken a few years off from MA in general (and BS.net, sadly), but I've finally got a decent career going and I'm going to be moving to Charlotte, NC in the near future.

I'm looking to get back into the mix, but the selection is pretty wide and varied (with an extraordinary amount of McDojos in the city, but that's not surprising).

Specifically, what are some good dojos/gyms in the area? I've got history with Judo, BJJ, and boxing (with an unholy amount of Shaolin Do mixed in). That's what I'm looking for mainly (NOT SD), but muay thai or kyokushin are great alternatives, too.

There is a Team ROC school in Charlotte, and quite a few around NC. They are awesome schools and I highly recommend them.

Posted On:
    11/19/2012 5:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon View Post
    There is a Team ROC school in Charlotte, and quite a few around NC. They are awesome schools and I highly recommend them.
    Really? Knew they were big in NC, didn't realize they had one in Charlotte. Definitely checking it out, thanks!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/20/2012 4:08am

Style: Grappling/bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by War Wizard View Post
    Probably a bad idea to post this in YMAS, but hey, maybe this will be interesting. So I've taken a few years off from MA in general (and BS.net, sadly), but I've finally got a decent career going and I'm going to be moving to Charlotte, NC in the near future. I'm looking to get back into the mix, but the selection is pretty wide and varied (with an extraordinary amount of McDojos in the city, but that's not surprising). Specifically, what are some good dojos/gyms in the area? I've got history with Judo, BJJ, and boxing (with an unholy amount of Shaolin Do mixed in). That's what I'm looking for mainly (NOT SD), but muay thai or kyokushin are great alternatives, too.
    I will list the schools that I have trained at, or the schools I know by reputation. I have only listed the schools that I know have excellent instruction and if I left one off its mostly because I don't know anything about it:Great Grappling (SC but near Charlotte) Jeremy ArelSatsuma Jujitsu (Near MAtthews, NC) Dave MaselLeadership Martial Arts (CHarlotte NC) Derrick Richardson (Renzo Gracie Brown Belt)Ryan Hoovers Extreme Karate/Fit to Fight (Gastonia and Charlotte) Jeff JimmoFight to Win (Charlotte NC) Steve Hall (Royce Gracie BB)There are a few more and I will report back. Generally there are a decent amount of solid BJJ brown and black belts to learn from in the area. My ONLY complaint is that no one has EARLY morning classes like I have seen on the west coast. THis is a personal bias as I work 3rd shift and would like to train in the AM.

Posted On:
    11/24/2012 12:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger joe View Post
    I will list the schools that I have trained at, or the schools I know by reputation. I have only listed the schools that I know have excellent instruction and if I left one off its mostly because I don't know anything about it:Great Grappling (SC but near Charlotte) Jeremy ArelSatsuma Jujitsu (Near MAtthews, NC) Dave MaselLeadership Martial Arts (CHarlotte NC) Derrick Richardson (Renzo Gracie Brown Belt)Ryan Hoovers Extreme Karate/Fit to Fight (Gastonia and Charlotte) Jeff JimmoFight to Win (Charlotte NC) Steve Hall (Royce Gracie BB)There are a few more and I will report back. Generally there are a decent amount of solid BJJ brown and black belts to learn from in the area. My ONLY complaint is that no one has EARLY morning classes like I have seen on the west coast. THis is a personal bias as I work 3rd shift and would like to train in the AM.
    Any particular standouts? Team ROC is pretty hard to beat, but it's a bit out of the way from where I'll be living and working, so I'm still going to check out some other options.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    11/24/2012 2:09pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Steve Hall school is probably your second best choice. He's got a little hyperbole going on with his marketing, but it's a solid school with solid competitors.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/10/2012 2:11am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All the schools mentioned have excellent instruction and top notch black or brown belts teachers. All mentioned compete and I know that they all represented very well in saturday's NEWBREED grappling tourny. Dave Mansel (Mario Aiello black belt) opened another gym (In Charlotte NC). TO be fair this is my instructor so I am partial however his new location is very nice and its exciting to be in on the "ground floor" of a new school. The rates are unbeatable, pure lineage, top level instruction, etc etc. That being said all the mentioned schools are great and I have trained with many of the students at open mats. PM if you have questions.

since I originally posted my complaint about early morning classes I should add that my school has 6am classes M/T/TH/F/SAT. If some of the other schools are offering this I am unaware and apologize for any mistakes. Like I siad solid instructors (Jeremy Arel, Steve Hall, Jeff Jimmo, Derrick TC Richardson, etc etc)
    Last edited by ranger joe; 12/10/2012 2:15am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/22/2012 4:56am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

BJJ in Charlotte

I wanted to posted an update about my school. Dave Mansel is running a 6am class throughout the week as well as an open mat at 7am. Also saturday is an open mat class that starts at 6am and goes till about 11am. He then goes to his mathews location for open mat at 11am-about 2pm. The normal evening classes start at 5pm and run till 9pm with M-Friday. As soon as he has enough students he will be running the gym full time with classes throughout the day. The cost for both locations (mathews and Charlotte) is $80 a month with no contract. He also offer's a law enforcement discount. There is no requirment to wear a "team gi" although he (and to be fair I do as well) offer gi's for sale if you don't have one or need an extra. Attend either school or bounce between schools. Dave has an excellent reputation in the area. Check Satsuma Jujitsu out if your interested. I mentioned the other schools as well because they are ALL top rated, top notch schools. You wont go wrong at anyone of them.

Posted On:
    12/26/2012 2:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the suggestions, gentlemen. As soon as I'm all moved and settled in, definitely making the rounds and checking these places out.