Sponsored Links Spacer Image

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    3/28/2013 2:35pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by greg1075 View Post
    Well, most Judo throws hinge on getting below someone's center of gravity, so a taller person is at a de-facto disadvantage against a shorter. Of course, a discrepancy in skills can make up for that, but I am presenting things in a vacuum here. If you are taller, you are going to have to get lower and be more explosive against a shorter person than you would against someone your size. Careful about Osoto-gari, there's a big gap between how it is taught in most places and the way it is actually (successfully) executed against a resisting uke or in competition...
    In Ouchi Gari, the critical factor is to get uke weight "pinned" onto his heels. The center of gravity issue isn't as much of a factor because Ouchi Gari is a "down throw", with no "lifting" involved.

A taller person can do it against a shorter person easier than say, O Goshi or Seoi Nage. The advantage of reach is present, and a higher grip on uke can help as well.

All body types have advantages and "disadvantages" in Judo (and other sports as well, I suppose). The key is to maximize the efficiency with which one uses what one has.

As far as Osoto Gari goes, true most version in competition are some sort of cross body variation, but a very solid grounding in the basics of the throw in it's more traditional versions is a good way to start.

Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    3/28/2013 3:49pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: JJJ, BJJ, CSW, Kali, JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    In Ouchi Gari, the critical factor is to get uke weight "pinned" onto his heels. The center of gravity issue isn't as much of a factor because Ouchi Gari is a "down throw", with no "lifting" involved.

A taller person can do it against a shorter person easier than say, O Goshi or Seoi Nage. The advantage of reach is present, and a higher grip on uke can help as well.

All body types have advantages and "disadvantages" in Judo (and other sports as well, I suppose). The key is to maximize the efficiency with which one uses what one has.

As far as Osoto Gari goes, true most version in competition are some sort of cross body variation, but a very solid grounding in the basics of the throw in it's more traditional versions is a good way to start.

Ben
    Agreed. I should have mentioned that by "most throws", I meant all the hip throws, shoulder throws etc. Not sure all the throws that involve moving in and under uke's center of gravity actually constitute "most throws", so maybe I should have said "many throws". Anyway, leg reach is an advantage on some throws, so I'd still rather be the short and stocky guy (which I'm not) than the tall and lanky one (I'm not him either, actually) :)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/28/2013 9:56pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not that I'm giving up on it, but **** ouchi! God, it's so awkward for me for some reason. That and ippon seoi, morote feels better for whatever reason.

I'm going to try ko-uchi for awhile to see if it helps ouchi click.

On the good news side, tsurikomi is looking/feeling better for me.

Posted On:
    4/01/2013 12:18am

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by greg1075 View Post
    Well, most Judo throws hinge on getting below someone's center of gravity, so a taller person is at a de-facto disadvantage against a shorter.
    Just taking a quick run through the gokyo, I think only about 10 of those 40 throws are easier if you are shorter than uke. Most of the ashi-waza work well or even better for tall people.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/01/2013 12:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would agree with you at around 10-12 being short guy throws.

However, you really do need a degree of flexibility/mobility for several throws where yoyr body structure can help or hinder depending on your hand nature dealt to you.

Posted On:
    4/03/2013 2:57pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by faixabranca View Post
    Not that I'm giving up on it, but **** ouchi! God, it's so awkward for me for some reason. That and ippon seoi, morote feels better for whatever reason.

Yeah, it can be frustrating for sure. My go-to ashi waza was Kouchi Gari during my prime competition years...because I never could quite get the hang of Ouchi Gari. I studied the hell out of it, and I'm a lot better now, but it's still something I rarely use in randori.

However, my students for the most part are much better at applying it in randori/competition than I ever was (Ouchi Gari). So I'm better at teaching it than doing it.

Try Kouchi to Ouchi and see if that helps with getting into position.'

If you can post some video that would help with specifics. Don't give up on the throw, though.

Posted On:
    4/03/2013 3:00pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would agree with you at around 10-12 being short guy throws.

However, you really do need a degree of flexibility/mobility for several throws where yoyr body structure can help or hinder depending on your hand nature dealt to you.
    Remember, it's all relative to the relative size of uke and tori for the most part. If you are 6'4 and your uke is your height or taller, then the normal carrying throws shouldn't be that hard to learn. The problem is with shorter uke and "bad" uke.

Posted On:
    4/03/2013 3:03pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Ippon Seoi is tougher because you let go of uke and regrip with the under the armpit hook. So it takes much finer body control to make it work.

I started off with Morote Seoinage and eventually went more to Ippon, but after a while which one I did depended on which one felt best at the time, and that wasn't something I gave much if any conscious though to.

Posted On:
    4/04/2013 8:35am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jujitsu / Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You might want to try Uchi Mata. It works well with taller people.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/04/2013 12:18pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If Jesus says to use uchi mata....
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 91011 LastLast