My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    2/05/2013 4:35pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by faixabranca View Post
    Sorry in advance for any thread necro!

I've given Ouchi a try for several weeks but have switched mainly over to de ashi barai and tsurikomi goshi.

For some reason, ouchi is just not clicking and I feel like a total 'tard. O soto feels like butter in nagekomi/uchikomi for whatever reason.

Is this struggle with ouchi normal?
    Necroing a technical thread with an update is fine.

Ouchi Gari takes a while to develop, especially to use it in randori or shiai. Don't give up on it. I had my students working on it for a couple of years. I had the satisfaction of seeing two of them (now shodan) throw for ippon and wazari with Ouchi Gari in shiai multiple times, one recently. When he did a one handed ken ken (hopping) Ouchi Gari for ippon I nearly cried.

What part of Ouchi Gari is not working for you?

Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/05/2013 6:32pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My problem is getting in on the oikomi ouchi I was shown. I cannot seem to time it out. I dunno if it's me, the uke or both. I feel like I am too far away and there is not enough space.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/05/2013 10:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So I went back to Ouchi during uchni/nagekomis and I felt better. I had a new uke who worked with me, slowing down and letting me work.

I also hit a kouchi in randori, albeit my partner (brown belt) wasn't going super hard on me. I got thrown about 5 times after my fifteen seconds of glory.

Posted On:
    2/06/2013 5:09pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My problem is getting in on the oikomi ouchi I was shown. I cannot seem to time it out. I dunno if it's me, the uke or both. I feel like I am too far away and there is not enough space.
    It kind of depends on the type of oikomi (dashing in) type of entry you are doing. If you are doing it with uke moving away from you (you and uke moving backwards), then that is a pretty hard version to start with.

If you are doing it statically (a good way to start, that's a bit easier to get the hang of).

An easier way to learn it moving is to have uke move towards you using ayumi ashi in a standard push pull fashion. If you are a righty, you kind of draw uke out to his left side and cut the leg out from under him. This is Sono Ichi in Daigo Sensei book, if you can find a copy.

OK, so in general on Ouchi Gari.

1.) The space issue usually because you push uke away from you with your arms (too much space).

2.) The space issue with not enough space is usually tori moves in too close to uke with the support leg (jikko ashi).

3.) Make sure you keep square to uke and try to touch your belt to his, in fact contact from chest to belt is good. Turning sideways is a common mistake. Also make sure your support foot is pointing the direction of the throw...to uke rear quadrant, not sideways.

4.) One thing that helps is to pull uke forward bit, get him to react to the rear, then enter the throw. This can be hard to do in static uchikomi or nagekomi.

5.) A drill I use for (4) is to have uke stand with his legs a bit wider apart than shizenonhontai. Tori then pulls uke forward using tsugi ashi, uke follows but leans a bit to the rear. Tori feels the resistance, then enters and throws. This seems a bit contrived, I know, but you have to get to where you can feel uke resisting backwards. As time goes on you can have uke change to migi or hidari shizentai, and both of you move in tsugi ashi

6.) Hands...there are different ways...I like to make a downward upside down "V" shape...remember, you are trying to set uke weight on his heel(s), and use your body weight to do that not just your hands.

Ben

Posted On:
    2/06/2013 5:10pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Crap, double post deleted.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/06/2013 6:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    kiI was trying out a variation I was shownwhere you step in with your left, uke steps back then you dash and drive in with ouchi while drawibg him in like opening curtains.

I saw it in the Inoue vid as well from Fighting Films.

Posted On:
    2/07/2013 11:02am

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    It kind of depends on the type of oikomi (dashing in) type of entry you are doing.
    You use oikomi to mean dashing in for judo? In kendo it means a repeated attack in quick succession with the same technique.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/07/2013 11:26am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    You use oikomi to mean dashing in for judo? In kendo it means a repeated attack in quick succession with the same technique.
    In a manner of speaking, you ARE repeating the ouchi gari until uke drops.

Posted On:
    2/07/2013 11:32am

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In a manner of speaking, you ARE repeating the ouchi gari until uke drops.
    Then it's the same meaning as for kendo, keep bashing away until one lands. The oikomi term can also apply to combination waza, so for example you could do kouchi/ouchi repeatedly.

Posted On:
    2/12/2013 3:40pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    kiI was trying out a variation I was shownwhere you step in with your left, uke steps back then you dash and drive in with ouchi while drawibg him in like opening curtains.

I saw it in the Inoue vid as well from Fighting Films.
    OK, no wonder, that's a bit much when you are trying to learn the basics of Ouchi Gari.

Forget that variation and focus on the basics. Give your self a year with good instruction and lots of training time with an uke who doesn't mind being thrown. Trade off to make it fair.

Ben
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 6789 ... LastLast