My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    11/23/2012 6:21pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Edit my jpost

I tried to edit my longer post. Won't work for some reason.

Anyway, Morote Seoi Nage tends to confuse people because of the position of the lapel hand across uke chest. This is different than the tsurite (lapel hand) placement for other forward throws like Tsurikomi goshi, Harai Goshi, Uchi Mata, etc. Although one should do the normal tsurikomi action then put the arm across for Morote Seoi Nage.

I wish I'd known that when I was learning the throw.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/24/2012 10:14am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    I tried to edit my longer post. Won't work for some reason.

Anyway, Morote Seoi Nage tends to confuse people because of the position of the lapel hand across uke chest. This is different than the tsurite (lapel hand) placement for other forward throws like Tsurikomi goshi, Harai Goshi, Uchi Mata, etc. Although one should do the normal tsurikomi action then put the arm across for Morote Seoi Nage.

I wish I'd known that when I was learning the throw.
    Perhaps I will stick to Ippon seoi nage with guys closer to my height and koshi guruma for shorter. Also ouchi/kouchi gari for the sake of simplicity.

Posted On:
    11/24/2012 12:37pm

Style: BJJ, Judo, SAMBO

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I really got into learning ashi waza after a clinic with Coach Josh. As such, they are my A game throws. With your height remember things like de ashi harai or hiza guruma. Those throws are fantastic. They really forced me to concentrate on my timing rather than just kicking the tar out of uke's ankles.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/28/2012 10:24am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sort ot off-topic, but **** is Judo frustrating. Sensei took the white belts off to the side and worked o soto gari and seoi nage in detail.

O soto feels more comfortable and I picked up good tips but I am leaning in way too much. Seoi just feels like a fucking mess still.

As far weight goes, I am basically a somewhat athletic fatty at 100kg. Ergo a slow drop to 90kg is in order. I would get mauled by those bastards at 100.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/28/2012 10:35am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by faixabranca View Post
    As far weight goes, I am basically a somewhat athletic fatty at 100kg. Ergo a slow drop to 90kg is in order. I would get mauled by those bastards at 100.
    Obviously the fitter and more in shape you can be the better but I wouldn't worry about weight categories; I am in a Kyu grade comp at the weekend, weighed myself at 89 kgs but have been told that depending on entries I may have to fight much heavier players because I am still one of the biggest.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/28/2012 11:21am

Style: Judo, jujitsu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sort ot off-topic, but **** is Judo frustrating. Sensei took the white belts off to the side and worked o soto gari and seoi nage in detail.

O soto feels more comfortable and I picked up good tips but I am leaning in way too much. Seoi just feels like a fucking mess still.
    Yes it is--that's one of the things that makes it so rewarding! Heck, I'm a nikyu and just really starting to feel like I have a handle on seoinage--which means MOST of the time I do it mostly right. Forget getting it in randori. And I've spent a lot of time on seoinage, both ippon and morote. The good news is the stuff I've learned working on it transfer to other throws. Be patient, keep plodding along, and learn to measure success in small doses. One day you'll look at the white belts and realize you've learned a whole lot, even though you still feel like a beginner.

Posted On:
    11/28/2012 3:19pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Perhaps I will stick to Ippon seoi nage with guys closer to my height and koshi guruma for shorter. Also ouchi/kouchi gari for the sake of simplicity.
    Punt the Koshi Guruma for now. The hip positioning is a lot different than other throws. I'm not saying don't practice it, but I've found that it tends to confuse matters with beginners.

Yes, you should learn and practice Seoi Nage (Ippon is fine), but if you ignore developing proper tsurikomi action/movement, you will regret it later on. Tsurikomi Goshi will be your key to developing Uchi Mata, Harai Goshi, and a host of other throws. Ouchi and Kouchi everyone should practice, regardless of relative height.

So I suggest Ouchi Gari, Kouchi Gari, De Ashi Barai, and Tsurikomi Goshi, with some Ippon Seoinage as well.

That will keep you busy for a while. A solid year for sure.

Ben

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/28/2012 3:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Punt the Koshi Guruma for now. The hip positioning is a lot different than other throws. I'm not saying don't practice it, but I've found that it tends to confuse matters with beginners.

Yes, you should learn and practice Seoi Nage (Ippon is fine), but if you ignore developing proper tsurikomi action/movement, you will regret it later on. Tsurikomi Goshi will be your key to developing Uchi Mata, Harai Goshi, and a host of other throws. Ouchi and Kouchi everyone should practice, regardless of relative height.

So I suggest Ouchi Gari, Kouchi Gari, De Ashi Barai, and Tsurikomi Goshi, with some Ippon Seoinage as well.

That will keep you busy for a while. A solid year for sure.

Ben
    Wilco.

We briefly went over kouchi last night. Me gusta.

Posted On:
    11/28/2012 4:08pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wilco.

We briefly went over kouchi last night. Me gusta.
    Glad to hear it. Sounds like you are at a good club. BTW, I'm not suggesting you don't practice Osoto Gari, just to spend more time on the things I listed already.

Ben

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/05/2013 1:07pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry in advance for any thread necro!

I've given Ouchi a try for several weeks but have switched mainly over to de ashi barai and tsurikomi goshi.

For some reason, ouchi is just not clicking and I feel like a total 'tard. O soto feels like butter in nagekomi/uchikomi for whatever reason.

Is this struggle with ouchi normal?
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast