Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/16/2013 10:56am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did the fireman's carry when I wrestled, on occasion. I usually liked single leg and ankle pick attacks.

On another note, my ouchi is getting a wee bit better. Still have to sort of the hands.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    6/17/2013 1:53pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Masahiko View Post
    Although not beginner level, kata garuma is pretty simple - what about that?
    Kata Guruma isn't simple. It's not a beginner level throw. It doesn't address more fundamental issues in learning basic Judo, either, being unique in entry an application.

There is a version of a Kata Guruma-like throw that is competition legal now, but it is even more complicated and difficult than a normal Kata Guruma.

Quote Originally Posted by faixabranca View Post
    I did the fireman's carry when I wrestled, on occasion. I usually liked single leg and ankle pick attacks.

On another note, my ouchi is getting a wee bit better. Still have to sort of the hands.
    There is a difference between a Fireman's Carry and Kata Guruma in principle and often application, although sometimes they are identical in both. It all depends.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    6/17/2013 5:15pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Masahiko View Post
    JTerrier - agree that it's not legal anymore, so maybe only for "experimental" sessions in the dojo . I was thinking of the kneeling variation, where it works if you're taller.
    How young are your knees?

Do this a lot and they may not be young for long.

A really bad-ass osotogari, for a long-legger, would be a nice go-to. Be sure the speed is where it needs to be for the prior-positioning and then reap out both of your adversary's legs without too much risk to yourself.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/18/2013 11:45am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kouchi makikomi worked out for me really well when I started. I'm only 6'2, but I fought at 81, so that made me pretty tall. I turned for what appeared to be a shitty standing seoi nage, hoping people would think they had it in the bag and start pulling/lifting backwards. Then slide one of those long ass legs in for kouchi, hook behind the knee, drive down to the corner and bam, profit.

As an added bonus, if the throw goes well you have the opportunity to roll off your defeated opponent right onto your feet, walking back to your line like a real badass.
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011