224859 Bullies, 3626 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 11 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/23/2012 8:15am

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Skepticism & Spirituality in the Martial Arts

Name:  thornton-skepticism.png
Views: 174995
Size:  46.7 KB

Pretty much everyone who's been on Bullshido for more than five minutes knows of Matt Thornton.

He's the founder of the Straight Blast Gym and a BJJ black belt, who spends a significant portion of his time helping to combat BS in the Martial Arts by promoting the concept of "Aliveness".

In this 45 minute video, Thornton skewers what he describes as "Fantasy Based Martial Arts", and the inadequate training methods which enable their practitioners to be delusional, and takes questions from the audience.

Posted On:
    2/23/2012 8:23am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And here's the video:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/23/2012 8:45am

Style: PT/considering harakiri

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hope I did this the right way but Sam Harris had this on his facebook, and I suggested you guys in the comments. I mentioned bullshido as a reference point and mentioned how I found my gym here. Hopefully it's not too douchey of a move or I'll delete it:BabyTroll:

Posted On:
    2/23/2012 8:47am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by killadelphia77 View Post
    I hope I did this the right way but Sam Harris had this on his facebook, and I suggested you guys in the comments. I mentioned bullshido as a reference point and mentioned how I found my gym here. Hopefully it's not too douchey of a move or I'll delete it:BabyTroll:
    Not at all, we're happy to have people helping get the word out. Matt is a huge friend of the site and I told him yesterday that we'd feature the video here.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/23/2012 9:21am

Style: PT/considering harakiri

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great, because these are the opportunities to "pay it foward" I've been salivating over lol. Best way to show my appreciation. Matt is awesome, I wish I could train with him.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    2/23/2012 10:26am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Matt looks like hell, did he go undercover for this assignment? Someone told him the 90's grunge style was still in on college campuses or something and he wanted to blend in with the right flannels and hair.

I like Matt, but he's still heavily biased and persists in associating "traditional" with "dead training". In Matt's world, traditional training is never alive, which is a silly thing to keep spouting in this day and age.

I get that he needs to pimp "Aliveness" wherever he goes but the constant bucketing of "this is used in MMA so it is always trained alive" vs. "This is a traditional art so it's always trained dead" is a false dichotomy that, quite frankly, is just as bad as any "fantasy-based" art.

I use Matt's philosophy whenever I train, if it's a dead drill (and dead drills have their place), I ask myself how I could train it more alive, and I credit Matt for that sort of thing. But he didn't invent aliveness, he just pointed it out.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 2/23/2012 10:32am at .

Posted On:
    2/23/2012 12:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well that's kind of like saying "Phrost didn't invent 'Bullshido', he just came up with the word that succinctly encapsulated the concept of bullshit in the martial arts". Like me, I'm pretty sure he coined the term.

Posted On:
    2/23/2012 12:54pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    Well that's kind of like saying "Phrost didn't invent 'Bullshido', he just came up with the word that succinctly encapsulated the concept of bullshit in the martial arts". Like me, I'm pretty sure he coined the term.
    He includes karate in the "dead" arts, but we all know karateka and styles who train alive. And in kung fu, and in etc etc.

At the end of the day I greatly respect Matt's ethos, but he's still part of the BJJihad; he's just disguised here as Eddie Vedder.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    2/23/2012 1:56pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    At the end of the day I greatly respect Matt's ethos, but he's still part of the BJJihad; he's just disguised here as Eddie Vedder.
    He did name his training place Straight Blast gym. A straight blast is not a BJJ technique.

Posted On:
    2/23/2012 2:10pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    He did name his training place Straight Blast gym. A straight blast is not a BJJ technique.
    The best part of the video is when Matt starts derailing a bit and drifts from MA and spirituality and starts discussing the artistic value of psychoactive drugs. When he started talking about artists doing LSD and mushrooms I suddenly felt like it was 1994 all over again...gonna put on some Mother Love Bone...burn incense....

He equated athletic zen with dropping acid. Oh ...College...

Last edited by W. Rabbit; 2/23/2012 2:18pm at .
Page 1 of 11 1 2345 ... LastLast