Sponsored Links Spacer Image

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    11/16/2012 1:56am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Gene Lebell grappling club/baton

I was at a stickfighting event in the back of a martial arts supply store in NoHo, and noticed they had a huge selection of weapons. One of them that brought up some nostalgia was seeing a Gene Lebell grappling club. It looks like this:

So its like a big hardwood Q tip. The idea is that the larger ends make it easier to grip and less likely to slide. Its supposed to be designed more for grappling applications than striking someone. Has anyone here done any training with this weapon? Or read the book? I'm interested in learning more, since my training in eskrido and DBMA stickgrappling have shown me the possibilities of using a stick for grappling. Plus, Gene Lebell!

Posted On:
    11/17/2012 10:43pm

Style: Humbleness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey did you get one of those sticks ?

And are they not much more dangerous for choking than a normal choke? wouldn't they just crash people's windpipes when trying to use them?

Also the stick is used to allow better standing submissions right so in a self defense situation you dont have to goes to the groundz?

Posted On:
    11/17/2012 11:55pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RurikGreenwulf View Post

And are they not much more dangerous for choking than a normal choke? wouldn't they just crash people's windpipes when trying to use them?

Also the stick is used to allow better standing submissions right so in a self defense situation you dont have to goes to the groundz?
    You should google video "gathering of the pack" most videos will include some grappling with clubs in them (although not the specific club shown) its kind of interesting to see that even with the range sticks offer people still get tangled up.

Posted On:
    11/18/2012 12:01am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also your time would be FAR better spent trying to bring Dog Brothers events to where you live than Kudo.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/19/2012 12:01am

Style: Sticks & Jits & Fritz

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is a set with DVD instruction from Lebell.

Name:  GeneLeBellGrapplingClubMasterBKDVD.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  14.0 KB

Been on my wishlist for a while, but couldn't justify spending that much. Looks like it would be an entertaining video though. Lebell with a stick.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    11/20/2012 2:46am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RurikGreenwulf View Post
    Nah, they're several dozens of dollars and I've already got plenty of good sticks. I'm not a cop or a RLSH so what am I going to do with a club specifically for grappling? Also I believe there's a law against billy clubs in CA and I think this may qualify.

Well, DBMA fights often end by stick choke, and I've never heard of someone getting a windpipe injury. In combat, a fang choke or half nelson choke could damage the windpipe if done with the intent to do so, but I've tapped to a number of eskrido chokes without having my windpipe crushed. Saying you'll always crush it is like saying you'll always crush it with an unarmed choke.

To be honest, I don't particularly see standing submissions as fight enders in stickfights very often, for the same reasons you don't see them unarmed- you need the extra control provided by the ground to keep them from squirming out of your locks.

For not going to the ground, do you mean there's like more than one person? In that case, strike with the weapon hard and often, don't go for standing stick locks. If you want control but mobility there are ways to use a stick as a come-along or control device after you've subdued them.

The caveat is that a stick guillotine has been known to end a fight very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    You should google video "gathering of the pack" most videos will include some grappling with clubs in them (although not the specific club shown) its kind of interesting to see that even with the range sticks offer people still get tangled up.
    That particular event, I learned that besides the treachery of stickgrappling, some of those guys also have knifegrappling, and even with a training knife can be pretty brutal.
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    Also your time would be FAR better spent trying to bring Dog Brothers events to where you live than Kudo.
    Rurik, one of Guro Marc's associates is the leader of the Juego de Garrote (sp?), a stickfighting method from Venezuela. Looks like a long range stickfighting method primarily. Might be a better idea to contact these guys if you want to learn stickfighting.

Posted On:
    11/20/2012 5:28am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have mad respect for the Kali Tudo crowd cause god knows it hurts enough just getting hit by them Nerf N force swords **** my wife actually swelled up my pinky and index finger for a good couple of days

I have also been hit by the bamboo shinai swords yeah not very pleasant either.

I can't even imagine getting whacked full force with one of those real sticks.

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    11/23/2012 6:54am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think I read the earlier version of this years ago, he was on the cover with a police baton, armlocking a dude if im not mistaking, loltastic book.
    I also read master of grappling, extremely funny book, yet not really that informative because you (well, at least I did) had to read between the lines and jokes to actually get the information/instructions behind it.
    Nonetheless a really good read though!

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    11/23/2012 6:57am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I love that guy and I hope that when the grim reaper comes to collect him, he'll choke the bitch out with his own scimitar thingy.
    People like Gene Lebell are rare and it's so refreshing to have these tongue in cheek types who also can laugh about themselves while kicking ass should it be needed.
    Why this guy hasnt a statue yet in the states I never understand.
    If I can be half as awesome as him I'd die happy.