My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    11/19/2012 6:08pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    I think the a big part of the problem is we seem to have a pretty big disconnect from the rule setters and the competitors. The competitors should certainly be more involved in the rule making and rule changes.

I would think most people think the atmosphere should be respectful and that the officials should be treated with respect. A little post win exuberance is to be expected your competing in a combat sport and are running fairly high. I do believe that the display shouldn't be directly disrespectful to the opponent IE corpse humping or getting all up in there face but one or two laps about the mat while lets out all that pent up excitement isn't a big deal.
    Coaches in the US at least have lobbied to be involved in rule making. But the USA Judo referee commission basically gets marching orders from the IJF regarding national level tournaments, and local/national coaches are not going to get any input to the IJF. I'm not sure who the IJF referee commission listens to, honestly.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    11/19/2012 6:11pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by r12477 View Post
    This is something that I would very much like to see happen. Even though leg counter attacks are still allowed, one of my sensei's (who is the chairman of the state referee's commission) still strongly discourages this - primarily because of potential for misinterpretation and subsequent hansoku-make.
    It's a double edged sword. I've seen refs get much better at interpreting leg grab situations (experienced refs, not newbies). I'm comfortable with my students using hand/leg attacks a counters or combinations now. At first though, I told t hem to forget about it until the refs got settled down and the interpretations were set.

Anyway, nothing disrespectful about leg grabs, LOL.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    11/19/2012 6:35pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Coaches in the US at least have lobbied to be involved in rule making. But the USA Judo referee commission basically gets marching orders from the IJF regarding national level tournaments, and local/national coaches are not going to get any input to the IJF. I'm not sure who the IJF referee commission listens to, honestly.
    This is in large part why I wish there was a bigger push towards Freestyle Judo. I however do understand why the top level people and gyms focusing more on IJF rules.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345