Page 3 of 5 First 12345 Last
  1. #21
    NeilG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Saskatoon, Canada
    Posts
    1,519
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by doofaloofa View Post
    You mean you didn't strut around the mats like a godking proclaiming your triumph to the world?
    Not sure if I have the power when reffing a judo match, but on the kendo floor that would be a DQ if I were holding the flags. Glad I have never had to do that.

  2. #22
    Kintanon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Athens, Ga
    Posts
    5,682
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    Not sure if I have the power when reffing a judo match, but on the kendo floor that would be a DQ if I were holding the flags. Glad I have never had to do that.
    I've often wondered why some of the white and blue and even purple belt BJJ matches I've seen didn't end in DQs for unsportsmanlike celebration. Some guy will win his first match at some low level NAGA event in the blue belt division and start running around screaming like he just won a gold at the mundials as a black belt. I can understand being happy about your win, but damn... A little restraint for fucks sake.

  3. #23
    My dog is cuter and smarter than yours. Join us... or die
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    7,279
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [QUOTE=doofaloofa;2738630]You mean you didn't strut around the mats like a godking proclaiming your triumph to the world?

    No, I never did that. I was taught to not celebrate until off the competition area, if at all. It's disrespectful to your opponent. In fact, if I ever showed much emotion over winning or losing, I got the crap beat out of me the next training session.

    I've rolled a few guys in shiai into waki gatame, but not the same thing as in the video. Most experienced judoka would never insert their arm like that, it's an invitation to disaster.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

  4. #24
    My dog is cuter and smarter than yours. Join us... or die
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    7,279
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    None of us looks quite so spectacular on video as we think we are...
    LOL, that's for sure. Apparently some of us FEEL pretty good, though.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

  5. #25
    My dog is cuter and smarter than yours. Join us... or die
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    7,279
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    Not sure if I have the power when reffing a judo match, but on the kendo floor that would be a DQ if I were holding the flags. Glad I have never had to do that.
    It would be difficult to get a DQ for even that gross display. The rules state remarks or gestures derogatory to the opponent or officials can be HSM (or something less depending on how severe). So if it's not directed directly towards someone, probably no penalty. Plus you would have to get at least one corner judge to agree with you.

    Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980

  6. #26
    My dog is cuter and smarter than yours. Join us... or die
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    7,279
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon View Post
    I've often wondered why some of the white and blue and even purple belt BJJ matches I've seen didn't end in DQs for unsportsmanlike celebration. Some guy will win his first match at some low level NAGA event in the blue belt division and start running around screaming like he just won a gold at the mundials as a black belt. I can understand being happy about your win, but damn... A little restraint for fucks sake.
    Some people can't handle the adrenaline/testosterone rush, I guess. It takes some getting used to.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

  7. #27

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Melbourne, AU
    Posts
    34
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    It would be difficult to get a DQ for even that gross display. The rules state remarks or gestures derogatory to the opponent or officials can be HSM (or something less depending on how severe). So if it's not directed directly towards someone, probably no penalty. Plus you would have to get at least one corner judge to agree with you.
    Current IJF rules (Article 27) includes scope for Hansoku-make to be applied at any time in the contest for "any action against the spirit of judo". You are correct that such decisions are made on a basis of "majority of three" in consultation between the referee and judges. This being said however, I don't think it would be too difficult to find referees and judges would would concur that the victory display in the video was against the spirit of judo.

  8. #28
    goodlun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ramona CA
    Posts
    7,323
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aww come on guys, i personally wouldn't be all butt hurt if my opponent was that excited for winning.

  9. #29
    NeilG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Saskatoon, Canada
    Posts
    1,519
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Winning from turtle

    As competitor you don't get a vote on the issue though. That end zone dance has no place in budo.

  10. #30
    goodlun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ramona CA
    Posts
    7,323
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    As competitor you don't get a vote on the issue though. That end zone dance has no place in budo.
    Shouldn't the competitors be the only ones that get a vote?

Page 3 of 5 First 12345 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO