Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/14/2012 4:08pm

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Judo Gi

Hey Guys,

Not sure if this was ever discussed but I've been doing judo for about two months now and it's time already to replace my gi. when I started I bought a no name double weave gi. It was good in the beginning until it started to shrink. Now my jacket is starting to look like a thick tee shirt and my pants were big to begin with and it was always annoying to stop in the middle of randori to fix my pants. I've been looking for a while now for a decent gi. Since I'm a beginner I don't want to spend a fortune. But what I noticed is every uniform I saw the jacket size seem to be good or can be adjusted but the pants were huge. I don't want to go through randori worrying if my pants will fall off. Does anyone know a decent priced gi where I can mix and match jacket and pants. The pants that come with the jackets are usually too big in the waist. I think considering shrinkage I am a size 5 jacket but no way can my waist fit a size 5 pants. I know some places make custom but that's too much for me right now. I'm not sure why they size the uniforms the way they do. I'm about 5'10 and weigh around 155-160 lbs. It just kind of stinks that I have to pay for a full uniform and then buy another pair of pants for almost the same price as a uniform. Any help would be most appreciated.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    10/14/2012 4:34pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judo12 View Post
    Hey Guys,

Not sure if this was ever discussed but I've been doing judo for about two months now and it's time already to replace my gi. when I started I bought a no name double weave gi. It was good in the beginning until it started to shrink. Now my jacket is starting to look like a thick tee shirt and my pants were big to begin with and it was always annoying to stop in the middle of randori to fix my pants. I've been looking for a while now for a decent gi. Since I'm a beginner I don't want to spend a fortune. But what I noticed is every uniform I saw the jacket size seem to be good or can be adjusted but the pants were huge. I don't want to go through randori worrying if my pants will fall off. Does anyone know a decent priced gi where I can mix and match jacket and pants. The pants that come with the jackets are usually too big in the waist. I think considering shrinkage I am a size 5 jacket but no way can my waist fit a size 5 pants. I know some places make custom but that's too much for me right now. I'm not sure why they size the uniforms the way they do. I'm about 5'10 and weigh around 155-160 lbs. It just kind of stinks that I have to pay for a full uniform and then buy another pair of pants for almost the same price as a uniform. Any help would be most appreciated.
    if you are in the US, then i suggest you contact lia at www.hatashitasports.com or vin at www.kodokangear.com either of them should be able to help you out with a mixed jacket/pants set.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Posted On:
    10/14/2012 6:05pm

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Toraki can fit you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/14/2012 6:15pm

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks Ming I will contact them and see if they can help. Neil: I did order a toraki and the jacket fit perfectly assuming it will shrink when I wash it I will end up with another t-shirt also the pants were huge around the waist. It's a shame but I might have to return it. I know they have the custom gold uniforms but as a beginner in judo I think that's a little too much.

Posted On:
    10/14/2012 6:55pm

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did you contact Toraki by email, or just order off the website? I'm sure if you contact them directly you can mix and match different sized pants and tops. Their personal gold is shrink to fit, my son's fit perfectly after following their washing instructions. I really wouldn't advise that uniform for a newb, too stiff for everyday practice in my opinion although my son likes his. Not sure about their other uniforms, you should talk to them about size and washing instructions. Generally they advise wash hot, hang dry. If you go and machine dry against instructions, that's your own fault.

Ghost of Kawaishi

Posted On:
    10/15/2012 12:44pm

Style: judo, parenting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wear a size 5 gi, but I outweigh you by about 60 lbs. Try http://shop.fushida.ca/ Contact them, they will request a bunch of measurements and provide you with an almost custom fitted gi at a reasonable price. Great customer service and great prices. I've been wearing a Fushida gi for around 4 years no, no signs of wear yet.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/15/2012 5:29pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    buying a gi can be a minefield especially if you are not a fill sized male silverback Gorilla, which is what a lot of gi manufacturers seem to model their gis on.
    After buying a few gis online and having to send them back or even worse, washing them first and finding that they still dont shrink enough or shrink too much and selling them at a loss on eBay, I decided to order from Toraki. My gi turned up today and I sure hope it shrinks a lot as it swamps me in the chest. They have told me to wash it 8 times at 60c so ill follow their instructions.
    The customer service has been first class thus far but il let you know about the fit after a week of washing.

Posted On:
    10/15/2012 5:36pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judo12 View Post
    Hey Guys,

Not sure if this was ever discussed but I've been doing judo for about two months now and it's time already to replace my gi. when I started I bought a no name double weave gi. It was good in the beginning until it started to shrink. Now my jacket is starting to look like a thick tee shirt and my pants were big to begin with and it was always annoying to stop in the middle of randori to fix my pants. I've been looking for a while now for a decent gi. ...
    ...the pants were huge around the waist. ...

This is usually a matter of doing a poor job tying the pants on, or not having the "string" routed properly.
    I can cinch my pants way smaller than my waist, more like the diameter of one leg.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/09/2012 9:16am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I sucked at tying my pants up for quite a while, although I have short legs and a long torso so I normally shorten new pants

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/22/2012 3:40am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigstu31s View Post
    buying a gi can be a minefield especially if you are not a fill sized male silverback Gorilla, which is what a lot of gi manufacturers seem to model their gis on.
    After buying a few gis online and having to send them back or even worse, washing them first and finding that they still dont shrink enough or shrink too much and selling them at a loss on eBay, I decided to order from Toraki. My gi turned up today and I sure hope it shrinks a lot as it swamps me in the chest. They have told me to wash it 8 times at 60c so ill follow their instructions.
    The customer service has been first class thus far but il let you know about the fit after a week of washing.
    Just to add, the gi fits perfectly now. It only needed two 60c washes to shrink to correct size. Now I just cold wash and hang dry and it hasnt shrunk at all since.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast