Stillness is death

Posted On:
    11/19/2012 1:21pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Brown View Post
    I don't know anything about Systema. But, it seems pretty clear that the guy knows what he's doing. Maybe you should go and check it out. Either way, what do you see that warrants an investigation?

Instructor: Arseniy Grebnov
    1992-1998 Sambo, Judo, and wrestling
    ? 1999-2007 Russian Boxing under “Master of Sport”
    ? 2001-2006 Mixed Martial Arts
    ? 2001-Present SYSTEMA, Russian Martial Art
    I don't know the guy or his skill level. He could be great and my comments are not at all related to his possible skill level. But, more as to your inquiry about why he warrants an investigation. Investigations themselves don't equate with an accusation of fraud or lack of skill, only a lack of information regarding the person in question. Some "investigations" are simply references or attempts to clarify credentials, experience, etc.

But, I am curious how you come up with the assessment that "it seems pretty clear that the guy knows what he is doing"? What from that bio makes you think so? Have you trained with him or seen videos of him? The Austin Center website simply offers a list of styles and years with no references or details which anyone could confirm if they tried.

My bet is that the "Judo, Sambo, and Wrestling" claim for 92-98 was probably either in a school, university or military environment in Belarus before he came to the US? Who knows, he does not say. Just like he does not explain anything about the other things on his list..."Russian Boxing under a MoS"? He does not say the coach's name or where this was. 4 years of "Mixed Martial Arts"? What does that even mean? Also the breakdown of years are odd if one considers we don't know from the bio when he came to the US, when he was in NJ, and when he came to Texas.

-His RMA website (www.austinrma.com) notes his connection to Vasiliev. OK, that's a no-brainer if he is a Systema guy. Though the whole use of "Russian Special Ops" as marketing always annoyed me with systema guys. It is not like Grebnov himself was a Russian Special Ops member, was he? He does not make that claim so I suspect not.

-It also claims he is a certified instructor under Alex Wilkie, Martial Arts Hall of Fame member. Since he was from NJ, I guess this is probably the guy www.alexwilkiemma.com
    A little reading and we see Wilkie is in the Action Martial Arts Hall of Fame, which is a well know pay for my listing type of Hall of Fame. Though, again, this says nothing about Wilkie's skill. My assumption is that this is where the years of "Mixed Martial Arts" came from in his bio. But, again, he does not say.

-He claims his judo shodan under Matl, who is in Texas (http://austincenterformartialarts.com/acfmajudo.html). This leads me to think he did not get any kind of rank in Judo, Sambo, or Wrestling in those 6 years noted. I assume those years were was back home in Belarus, though that is not clear either.

Best bet is to go take a class with Grebnov and talk to the guy. Ask him.
    One of the best Bullshido investigations ever written: http://www.bullshido.org/David_Kujawski_Investigation

"disgruntled ex student who couldn't hack training with Dave and his material and opted out (could be called pussied out) of training to go to Sambo" - Mor Sao

Registered Member

New Braunfels, Texas by way of Long Island

Posted On:
    11/19/2012 10:38pm

supporting member
     Style: DT Instructor

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sambosteve View Post
    But, I am curious how you come up with the assessment that "it seems pretty clear that the guy knows what he is doing"? What from that bio makes you think so? Have you trained with him or seen videos of him? The Austin Center website simply offers a list of styles and years with no references or details which anyone could confirm if they tried.
    I don't know. Good points. I guess I didn't think about it enough.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12