Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/13/2012 8:17pm

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Help me not get killed by judoka

Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon View Post
    The best thing you can do is get thrown on your face, then pinned.
    We try not to do that (the on the face bit). No points, and a DQ if intentional.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    11/13/2012 11:18pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    We try not to do that (the on the face bit). No points, and a DQ if intentional.
    Uppity BJJers deserve to be thrown on the face. It's good for our souls.

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    11/13/2012 11:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can't think of a Judo throw that lands uke on the face, but watch out for the dudes with magic pants.
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Posted On:
    11/13/2012 11:28pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would think that standing you will be fine I think they will have less ego to defend there, I think where its going to be interesting is on the ground where they all will want to prove themselves by getting the BJJ guy.

Posted On:
    11/14/2012 12:51am

Style: BJJ, Judo, SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Enjoy it and realize that on the feet, you need to relax. If they get the throw, just take it. A weekend with Coach Josh helped that a TON. Don't be scared just take the throw and breakfall. They aren't trying to paste you. On the ground, expect things in general to be more based on pinning. Subs will have less set up usually and they will occasionally be surprised by sweeps you take for granted. Have fun and realize that there is a difference in the rulesets. Their game and your game have similarities but are not the same.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/14/2012 4:17pm

Style: Karate-knockdown, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with the oft said, "learn something from it." There are some Judo guys in my instructor's BJJ school and I try to do Judo with them as much as possible. Do I try to beat them? Not at Judo, I try to walk away with a deeper understanding of the standup game. Does it help me? A ton. I am also a blue belt in BJJ and the guys I "do Judo with" are all Judo brown belts. I occasionally get a throw on them, but they are letting me. I don't care about winning anything in class. Its class, not the Mundials!! Class/training time is about making yourself better. I only keep track of how I mess up, so I can try to not make the same mistake twice. With the Judo guys, I ask them how they set me up and what throw they used on me. Then they let me practise it on them. I do the same with them on groundwork.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/14/2012 9:11pm

Style: FMA/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just relax, have fun, take the falls when standing. On the ground, be very conscious of your transitions. Once they've got a dominant position, they'll play heavy and your opportunity for a counter will be minimal. You have to catch them before this happens.

Many BJJ players play a little floatier, being more mobile and looking for a sub. With Judo, a pin wins so there is less of that. Salvaging a bad position against a good pinner can be much trickier than someone who's moving around exposing potential gaps during the transitions.

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    11/14/2012 11:01pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spilt Cake View Post
    Tomorrow evening one of my BB instructors (Gracie Barra) is doing a groundwork seminar at a local judo club, and I'm going to be tagging along. I'm not sure if there will be any randori as part of the actual seminar, but if not I'll definitely be staying behind after and trying to get in as many rounds with the judo guys as possible. I'm a one-stripe blue belt with about two and a half years of BJJ under my belt, and I find myself unsure of what my gameplan should be when fighting a judoka. Obviously, I'm prepared to get destroyed in standup, and I'll make sure my breakfalls are as good as possible. I'm also assuming that since we're going to be at the judo club, the sparring will be under judo rules. So, what are some things that I as a BJJer should be thinking about/planning for in this context? Realistically, my standup isn't going to be nearly as good as that of any judoka with a similar amount of experience. Any bullies here have advice on getting a judoka down to the ground and finishing him there under judo rules? I'm aware that these rules generally make for a faster, more explosive ground game, as well as a lot of turtling and of course pins. Knowing this, how can I use these things to my advantage as a BJJ practitioner?
    I am little late to this, so how did it go? My advice would be to win the grip and hand fight. Do not let them have the grips they want, break the grips they get immediately and dominate with you own sleeve and collar grips as well as under hooks. If your BJJ does wrestling for stand up or you have a wrestling background you can't shoot for the legs under the Judo rule set but head snaps are fair game and good control. But mostly, keep an open mind and learn. Adding some Judo has never hurt anyone's Jiu Jitsu game.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/15/2012 3:22pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Re: Help me not get killed by judoka

Thanks for all the advice, everyone! It was a great seminar, and I feel like I was able to pass on some knowledge to the judoka who showed up. As a warm up before sparring, we did one round starting from knees. I got paired up with a big tank of a judo black belt...he quite admirably tried one of the open guard sweeps that we had just drilled, but it didn't quite work. I was working a pass when he quickly sat up and accidentally headbutted me in the face. He made really solid contact right on the bridge of my nose, and blood was flying everywhere. I've had my fair share of bloody noses before, but this was a bad one! Took a good ten minutes before it had stopped and I was cleaned up. I ended up sitting out for the remainder of the time, not wanting to make any more of a mess than I already had. I still had a great time, though! Everyone was really nice and eager to learn. I feel like I made some new friends in the judo world, and the best part is that the club is quite close to my house, and as soon as I have time in my schedule I hope to start doing some training there.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    11/15/2012 3:51pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spilt Cake View Post
    Thanks for all the advice, everyone! It was a great seminar, and I feel like I was able to pass on some knowledge to the judoka who showed up. As a warm up before sparring, we did one round starting from knees. I got paired up with a big tank of a judo black belt...he quite admirably tried one of the open guard sweeps that we had just drilled, but it didn't quite work. I was working a pass when he quickly sat up and accidentally headbutted me in the face. He made really solid contact right on the bridge of my nose, and blood was flying everywhere. I've had my fair share of bloody noses before, but this was a bad one! Took a good ten minutes before it had stopped and I was cleaned up. I ended up sitting out for the remainder of the time, not wanting to make any more of a mess than I already had. I still had a great time, though! Everyone was really nice and eager to learn. I feel like I made some new friends in the judo world, and the best part is that the club is quite close to my house, and as soon as I have time in my schedule I hope to start doing some training there.
    At which club was the seminar?
    Falling for Judo since 1980
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast