Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/13/2012 4:05am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Help me not get killed by judoka

Tomorrow evening one of my BB instructors (Gracie Barra) is doing a groundwork seminar at a local judo club, and I'm going to be tagging along. I'm not sure if there will be any randori as part of the actual seminar, but if not I'll definitely be staying behind after and trying to get in as many rounds with the judo guys as possible. I'm a one-stripe blue belt with about two and a half years of BJJ under my belt, and I find myself unsure of what my gameplan should be when fighting a judoka. Obviously, I'm prepared to get destroyed in standup, and I'll make sure my breakfalls are as good as possible. I'm also assuming that since we're going to be at the judo club, the sparring will be under judo rules. So, what are some things that I as a BJJer should be thinking about/planning for in this context? Realistically, my standup isn't going to be nearly as good as that of any judoka with a similar amount of experience. Any bullies here have advice on getting a judoka down to the ground and finishing him there under judo rules? I'm aware that these rules generally make for a faster, more explosive ground game, as well as a lot of turtling and of course pins. Knowing this, how can I use these things to my advantage as a BJJ practitioner?

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    11/13/2012 5:04am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Realistically? Get thrown a lot. A lot.

If you were fighting a competition I'd tell you to go for shitty sacrifice throws and try for quick pins or subs off your back. But if you do that you'll be the dick trying to 'win' randori instead of learn something. Don't be that guy.

Also they might well split up groundwork and standing, so you won't even get the chance.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/13/2012 6:35am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just have fun,

I wouldn't worry too much about rules this is practise not a competition.

Also if they split groundwork and standing then you will have a chance to shine on the ground

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/13/2012 12:53pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know at my club we split up standing and ground randori due to lack of space, dont worry about the standing and just be as loose as you can or else you will tire your self out and not learn anything.

As far as ground work goes most judo guys that I have run into are top fighters, expect heavy pins. Also I dont know how much you have been exposed to the scarf hold but I bet at least one of them will try to break your ribs with it.

Really theres nothing to be especially concerned with just do your thing and learn what you can, if its a decent judo club thats what the judoka will be doing to.

Posted On:
    11/13/2012 2:17pm

Style: Kendo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why are you so concerned about winning? Why not take this opportunity for learning? If you spend the whole evening trying to beat judo with BJJ, you will come away learning very little.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/13/2012 2:57pm

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    Why are you so concerned about winning? Why not take this opportunity for learning? If you spend the whole evening trying to beat judo with BJJ, you will come away learning very little.
    This. Try and take something away from the experience. You can probably share some things on the ground if you get that far, so let he Judoka share their standing knowledge.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/13/2012 3:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Re: Help me not get killed by judoka

Thanks for all the advice so far. I didn't mean to come off as being only concerned with winning. The whole reason I'm going along is to help out with the seminar and to hopefully have as much judo rub off on me as possible. I guess I've just always been intimidated by judoka for some reason. I'll take the advice here and try to stay relaxed and open minded.

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    11/13/2012 3:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're helping out with a seminar, then you should probably focus primarily on being helpful.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/13/2012 4:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Re: Help me not get killed by judoka

Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    If you're helping out with a seminar, then you should probably focus primarily on being helpful.
    Of course, of course. My question was geared more towards sparring after the seminar.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    11/13/2012 5:16pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spilt Cake View Post
    Of course, of course. My question was geared more towards sparring after the seminar.
    The best thing you can do is get thrown on your face, then pinned.

That was the most awesome thing I got out of working with the local Judo club. Their technique set was super narrow on the ground, but if one of them got to side control on me it was like a truck parked on my chest. Very educational to feel how they controlled their weight.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast