Administrator

Posted On:
    11/12/2012 12:42pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Redefining our terms:

So I had an interesting epiphany today:

How about redefining the phrase "traditional" martial arts to "classical" martial arts?

Most people confuse the traditional martial arts by associating it with time; not that "classical" can be juxtaposed, it's just not held to the same standard.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    11/12/2012 12:55pm

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     Central Texas Combatives Training Group Style: AMOK!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To me "Traditional Martial Arts" refers to those systems where practitioners seek to maintain the style of the past; e.g. , Soke's scrolls, 8mm films of old-timers, and what the master secretly showed someone when he was drunk 20 years ago represent the gold standard of movement. These systems value fidelity to the past over effectiveness (whether or not they would admit this). In this way, I think "traditional" is very appropriate.

Maybe you could give some examples of arts you think should be termed "Classical"?

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/12/2012 1:03pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    To me "Traditional Martial Arts" refers to those systems where practitioners seek to maintain the style of the past; e.g. , Soke's scrolls, 8mm films of old-timers, and what the master secretly showed someone when he was drunk 20 years ago represent the gold standard of movement. These systems value fidelity to the past over effectiveness (whether or not they would admit this). In this way, I think "traditional" is very appropriate.

Maybe you could give some examples of arts you think should be termed "Classical"?
    Exactly Steve, but kajukenbo, kempo, kenpo, Aikido, Taekwondo are based on the term traditional. Yet they are younger than Judo, BJJ, SAMBO and Savate. Now Judo is placed in the TMA, but it's embraced as a practical modern art too. So if we use the term Classical to mean the description you used then there might be less confusion. Just saying.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/12/2012 1:15pm

Style: 空手 / &#2147

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah but 'classical' has even more connotations of 'good' and 'the golden olden days' than 'traditional'

I have emotions.

Posted On:
    11/12/2012 1:16pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry, CMA is already taken. Better luck next time.

(tab) Forum > Forum Actions > General Settings > in Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40

Lightweight

Posted On:
    11/12/2012 1:31pm

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     Central Texas Combatives Training Group Style: AMOK!

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's not age that makes an art traditional, it's this "keep it the way it was" mentality.

In Modern Judo, advancements like the double knee drop seoinage that didn't exist 100 years ago are willingly accepted and integrated into the system because they are effective. To me this makes Judo NOT really a TMA, but I agree it is largely considered one.

As another example of how TMA status isn't about age, in my lane I see guys who do the various "WW2 Combatives" systems who have the same "keep it the way it was" mentality as other TMAs. They act as if those WW2 commandos represented the pinnacle of practical combat, and no one could ever develop any better way of training.

So I think the principal distinguishing trait among MAs is whether or not a system is willing to evolve: is it a living organism or a fossil? In this light I think we would be better served coming up with a new name to classify the "living" MAs and leave the fossilized ones with the TMA mantle.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    11/12/2012 1:35pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    'Traditionalist Martial Arts' is a better way to say what you mean.

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/12/2012 1:57pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The thought came by me when I heard "Classical" way of thinking, rather than "Traditional" way of thinking.

There's not enough words to describe my existence.

Posted On:
    11/12/2012 2:18pm

supporting member
     Style: No Style

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I usually think of traditional arts literally being arts handed down via a set specific traditions that are kept (like an an ongoing historical re-enactment), as we all know sometimes right down to the furnishings.

Classical works too, in fact I would use them synonymously. Classical music is a good parallel to classical martial arts, both are basically time capsules, in a way.

Anything handed down as a tradition over at least a few generations would be a traditional art so...the only thing not making BJJ a traditional art is a few more baby Gracies (or dead ones I suppose)
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 11/12/2012 2:24pm at . Reason: triple negative fail..

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/12/2012 2:20pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    So I had an interesting epiphany today:

How about redefining the phrase "traditional" martial arts to "classical" martial arts?

Most people confuse the traditional martial arts by associating it with time; not that "classical" can be juxtaposed, it's just not held to the same standard.
    Do you want the thread where we argued this? It was accepted and then it morphed back every time a new poster joined.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast