Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    11/14/2012 12:15am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i'm aware of why people think it looks like a sao choy, WR, i see the resemblance in the form, but when i strike with sao choy i step forward with the opposite foot from the hand striking, ending up in a bow stance, and it looks a lot like a boxing overhand right in sparring. the chop choy variation i am talking about steps with the same side foot as the striking hand, and lands in a side facing horse stance, and looks exactly like what cung le did in that gif (striking with the lead hand.)

that way is not a hung ga(r) application of chop choy, but a CLF version, which our sigung adopted into our lineage. the one i'm talking about isn't in the form anywhere that i have seen.

none of this is important, and i doubt any of you but WR really care.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/14/2012 2:49am

Style: Xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    How much CMA have you practiced? Right now, I'm thinking you have very limited experience outside of Xingyi.

There are hooks in CMA.
    You would be right. I also learned some Baji basics as well though a while back.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/14/2012 9:29am

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Late to the thread, but I did watch the fight and my observations are as follows :
    - Cung got a little lucky
    - Cung seems to be carrying around a bit more flab in his last couple of ring appearances than he did before.
    However, he is forty now..

It was nice to see him pull out the win, much better way to finish things ( if indeed this is his last fight) than the last outing he had.
    Does anyone know if he has plans on fighting again ?
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    11/14/2012 10:02am

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i'm aware of why people think it looks like a sao choy, WR, i see the resemblance in the form, but when i strike with sao choy i step forward with the opposite foot from the hand striking, ending up in a bow stance, and it looks a lot like a boxing overhand right in sparring. the chop choy variation i am talking about steps with the same side foot as the striking hand, and lands in a side facing horse stance, and looks exactly like what cung le did in that gif (striking with the lead hand.)

that way is not a hung ga(r) application of chop choy, but a CLF version, which our sigung adopted into our lineage. the one i'm talking about isn't in the form anywhere that i have seen.

none of this is important, and i doubt any of you but WR really care.
    Thanks. I think I get what you mean. For the record I don't think it's sao choy either (based on what I've seen of those).

That graphic is Lam Sai Wing near the end of his gung gi, not sure what Lam family calls (English translation on manual sucks) it but it seemed close.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 11/14/2012 10:13am at .

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    11/14/2012 3:04pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZ View Post
    Does anyone know if he has plans on fighting again ?
    He says he's not retiring.

I think Le vs. Robbie Lawler would be a fun fight.

Posted On:
    11/14/2012 6:30pm

Style: Muay Thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    - Cung got a little lucky
    I don't think it's fair to call it that. Lucky would have been Franklin slipping and falling, and KOing himself on Le's knee. Franklin made a mistake(leaving his chin wide open), and Le capitalized(knocking Franklin out cold). Taking advantage of openings is part of training.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/16/2012 12:51pm

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't mean lucky in the sense that he somehow didn't deserve it. He did.
    It was a bit of good fortune, as well as good training, to land the shot right on the button the way he did is all I meant.
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123