I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    11/13/2012 11:17pm

supporting member
     Style: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    If he isn't running a converter box he probably is running DVI over VGA so it is most likely a digital signal. It is still a stupid way of doing it none the less.
    I'm gonna go with he probably isn't. With the way this has ended up, I'm assuming the worst for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    Mr. Webster dissagrees. Sory amigo, I'm going to have to go with ol' Merriam on this one.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/thesaurus/diminishment

I was following you through the cryogenic space travel but you lost me here.

You obviously don't understand why audio and video would be run to seperate components but that's o.k. As you say at your level of use it doesn't make much of a difference. Just buy a receiver that does all the complicated stuff for you and forget I ever mentioned it.
    Let me clarify, "Diminishment of returns" is not what you're looking for. You're looking for diminishing returns.

Also, I do understand why audio and video would be run to different component cables. It's because it's analog signal that has to be split between audio and visual so that there aren't any ghosting or noise crossover.

What YOU don't understand is how HDMI works or, as it seems, the difference between digital and analog.

Tell me, where exactly do you think you'll find a movie or some other media that has both video and audio, that uses high quality uncompressed audio AND video at the same time that HDMI couldn't handle better than a shitty Analog component?

On top of that, the way pretty much every electronic is these days, it all gets converted to digital anyway. So if that's the case, why convert it from digital to analog back to digital? How does that make it "pro" and not "stupid."

Running separate components made sense when everything was analog.

Posted On:
    11/13/2012 11:22pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Sleepless View Post
    I'm gonna go with he probably isn't. With the way this has ended up, I'm assuming the worst for everything.
    I am under the impression that HDMI ports don't do Analog if this is wrong then you are most likely right. If I am right about them not doing analog than it has to be DVI.

What YOU don't understand is how HDMI works or, as it seems, the difference between digital and analog.

Tell me, where exactly do you think you'll find a movie or some other media that has both video and audio, that uses high quality uncompressed audio AND video at the same time that HDMI couldn't handle better than a shitty Analog component?

On top of that, the way pretty much every electronic is these days, it all gets converted to digital anyway. So if that's the case, why convert it from digital to analog back to digital? How does that make it "pro" and not "stupid."

Running separate components made sense when everything was analog.
    I use to hate the discussions in school about analog vs digital with the people who lacked the experience in digital.
    The only time your going to want analog over digital is if your Analog to digital sampling is below your Nyquist limit to net the results you want.
    You also solve a lot of phase issues so that your audio and Video actually stay in sync with digital.

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    11/13/2012 11:46pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am under the impression that HDMI ports don't do Analog if this is wrong then you are most likely right. If I am right about them not doing analog than it has to be DVI.

I use to hate the discussions in school about analog vs digital with the people who lacked the experience in digital.
    The only time your going to want analog over digital is if your Analog to digital sampling is below your Nyquist limit to net the results you want.
    You also solve a lot of phase issues so that your audio and Video actually stay in sync with digital.
    It doesn't. I'm assuming he has some stupid converter thing on there.

Don't worry, Mr. Machete will fly in and continue to be vague and not explain his position.

Posted On:
    11/14/2012 12:03am

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If that's the case then yes, it would be stupid.

You want as few gain stages as possible.

Why would Machette run signals to different components?

Because I like it loud. ;)

Posted On:
    11/14/2012 12:14am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

You know the more components you run the more you should want to run a digital solution. Is your industry stuck in the 80s?

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    11/14/2012 12:18am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If that's the case then yes, it would be stupid.

You want as few gain stages as possible.

That doesn't matter.

If you run a digital signal (which is 99% of the sources these days) why would you run it through an analog signal?

That doesn't make any sense at all.

Posted On:
    11/14/2012 12:22am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That doesn't matter.

If you run a digital signal (which is 99% of the sources these days) why would you run it through an analog signal?

That doesn't make any sense at all.
    Because you want to add in the latency and other issues of doing an DAC to ADC to DAC

Posted On:
    11/14/2012 12:22am

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know the more components you run the more you should want to run a digital solution. Is your industry stuck in the 80s?
    Those are just power amplifiers. Even if your signal routing is purely digital from source to amp (not uncommon at all these days) something still has to drive the speakers. We don't have digital ears...

...yet...

Middleweight

Posted On:
    11/14/2012 12:28am

supporting member
     Style: being less stupid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Re: Do you have technical issues? Let me try to help you.

No. You're running an analog signal into a cable that converts it into a video only, digital signal. The cable is capable of massive data pulling, but at this point, nothing you're doing matters because you're not pushing out the right signal.
    Maybe I'm tired and should just reread all this tomorrow, but I thought you said it's my video card not the cable that is putting out the wrong signal.
    Start a training log!

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

Posted On:
    11/14/2012 12:35am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Those are just power amplifiers. Even if your signal routing is purely digital from source to amp (not uncommon at all these days) something still has to drive the speakers. We don't have digital ears...
    ...yet...
    Very familiar with the concept, I use digital signals to control analog outputs often from motor controllers to driving relays to the what not.
    With a proper digital setup you wouldn't need a ton of amplifiers.
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 23456 7891016 ... LastLast