Sponsored Links Spacer Image

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    11/28/2012 1:27pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    not exactly a technical issue, but why does Adobe do so many software updates?

Posted On:
    11/28/2012 1:43pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    not exactly a technical issue, but why does Adobe do so many software updates?
    The short answer is

http://www.cvedetails.com/vendor/53/Adobe.html

The longer answer would require what particular Adobe product we are talking about.
    IE Adobe Flash Player
    Is a huge gaping security hole that should only be used in a very good sand box such as Google's Chrome (sand box was only recently breached and the method wasn't published).
    Basically its poorly written and to make function properly it requires access to a good number of hooks. As with most cross platform web programs its hard to secure. Basically your going to run into the same sort of security concerns you do with any other active scripting like Java.

Posted On:
    11/28/2012 1:57pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    Its true MS still pushes security updates out for XP.
    I however wouldn't call it supported.

http://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerabil...indows-Xp.html
    http://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerabil...ndows-Xp-.html

Sorry W. Rabbit.
    I should have posted for XP SP3. Which shows that they are more active than I had originally thought. However I do still think the XP security team, is still only so-so at this point.

Posted On:
    11/28/2012 6:11pm

Style: being less stupid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Re: Do you have technical issues? Let me try to help you.

I was going to but I'm in the middle of another book trying to get ready for school.

This description troubles me greatly. I would be willing to bet you have nothing to worry about as you probably don't have a raid setup.
    The guy that worked on it and the guy that I got it from are two different people so I don't. I'll still check when I get back from rolling a d20.

I would start by looking in your device manager and seeing if you have a RAID controller showing up.
    Duh, it's hardware... Sorry for the noob question, it's been almost a decade since I've worried about the inner workings of a computer.

Odds are you simply just have 2 hard drives, you can simply reformat one or both if you would like.
    The real question is why do you want to reformat them, if you want to re-image your computer often times you don't need to reformat the hard drive. I rarely see a good reason to reformat a drive in the real world except for when giving the computer to a new user.

This would be a LOT easier if you would tell us what it is you actually want to accomplish instead of looking for information you may not need about steps you may not need to take.
    We will see shortly.

I really just thought there was interest for good questions, I thought this was one. Plus I may have one, so it could be pertinent at a later point for me.

I like money
    He apparently takes laptops also as that was the currency used.

XP is no longer supported meaning you are no longer getting security updates, which means your computer is not secure, unless you leave it off the internet cannot be made secure. So get off of XP. If you cannot afford 7 may I suggest to you
    ubuntu
    http://www.ubuntu.com/
    I already read the later posts about this, so thank you. Wabbit also.
    Start a training log!

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

Posted On:
    11/28/2012 10:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

"SCSI and RAID controllers"
    Start a training log!

i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

Posted On:
    11/29/2012 3:49am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
    I was going to but I'm in the middle of another book trying to get ready for school.
    What did you end up taking please tell me it wasn't computers.

Duh, it's hardware... Sorry for the noob question, it's been almost a decade since I've worried about the inner workings of a computer.
    You mean like logic gates and how binary numbers actually become usable data?

I really just thought there was interest for good questions, I thought this was one.
    This wasn't a good question it was techno babble that you might see on a bad tv show with someone talking their way through hacking.
    So apparently your just wasting our time as you don't have an actual problem to solve.
    You can configure RAID to work in many ways, you will never ever reformat it. You may at some time reformat the hard drives that the raid control is using.

If you want to make up a random freaking question at least make it interesting,
    Example
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    What propulsion system would you reccomend to overcome this light speed barrier?
    BTW the answer to that is the WARP drive that NASA is likely to start working on see here
    http://io9.com/5963263/how-nasa-will...rst-warp-drive

"SCSI and RAID controllers"
    More techno babble. Also two arcane technologies that are disappearing.
    SCSI has lost all of its advantages over the newer generation of serial based drives.
    For the serious stuff your looking at Fiber Channel.

W. Rabbit and Sirc may or may not disagree but I feel raid is quickly getting to a point of being pointless.
    Data storage is becoming seriously cheap, other less complex methods of having redundant data is available.
    Hard drives are getting more and more reliable. Especially if adequate cooling is taken into account.
    In fact hard drive "crashes" are extremely rare now. crashes=/= failure. When a drive now fails most of the time the data and platters are in good shape. Most failures come from either the control board or the arm failing. You can pull the data off of a bad HD most of the time by swapping the platter into a working model of the same kind(including firmware).

Posted On:
    11/29/2012 8:10am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

What did you end up taking please tell me it wasn't computers.
    Yep. I'm going with information security.

You mean like logic gates and how binary numbers actually become usable data?
    Nope. I was just learning the basics then.

This wasn't a good question it was techno babble that you might see on a bad tv show with someone talking their way through hacking.
    So apparently your just wasting our time as you don't have an actual problem to solve.
    You can configure RAID to work in many ways, you will never ever reformat it. You may at some time reformat the hard drives that the raid control is using.
    That's exactly what I was asking lol. I may have just worked myself up over a technology I know nothing about, but I thought the process would be overly complicated.

So, I guess what I should have asked is:

1. How do reformat, period? The last time I reformatted a hard drive you still fdisked ****.

2. Will I have to reformat the hard drives separately or will this be covered in the first question?

3. Do I need to install the OS on both hard drives?

More techno babble. Also two arcane technologies that are disappearing.
    SCSI has lost all of its advantages over the newer generation of serial based drives.
    For the serious stuff your looking at Fiber Channel.

W. Rabbit and Sirc may or may not disagree but I feel raid is quickly getting to a point of being pointless.
    Data storage is becoming seriously cheap, other less complex methods of having redundant data is available.
    Hard drives are getting more and more reliable. Especially if adequate cooling is taken into account.
    In fact hard drive "crashes" are extremely rare now. crashes=/= failure. When a drive now fails most of the time the data and platters are in good shape. Most failures come from either the control board or the arm failing. You can pull the data off of a bad HD most of the time by swapping the platter into a working model of the same kind(including firmware).
    I plan on getting rid of RAID when I have money for a bigger hard drive because I don't really see RAID benefitting me. It was already on the computer when I bought it. Like I said, I thought learning how to reformat the hard drives while using RAID might be a good thing to know seeing how I doubt I'll be changing it any time soon.
    Start a training log!

Posted On:
    11/29/2012 3:12pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

So, I guess what I should have asked is:

1. How do reformat, period? The last time I reformatted a hard drive you still fdisked ****.
    Once again why do you want to reformat? Its not needed 99% of the time. Are you changing fileformat for some reason? Your running NTFS if your on XP NTFS is the file standard for 7 and 8.
    If you want to wipe a drive to just start over go with
    http://www.diskwipe.org/

Basically though the answer to all your questions will be in the below article about disk management.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309000

2. Will I have to reformat the hard drives separately or will this be covered in the first question?
    Yes, each drive will have to be reformatted on its own.

3. Do I need to install the OS on both hard drives?
    No, in fact it doesn't even have to be installed on a hard drive at all. I though my advise to use a portable OS off of a Thumb drive earlier would have given you this hint.
    You can also boot an OS off DVD or Blue Ray as well.

I plan on getting rid of RAID when I have money for a bigger hard drive because I don't really see RAID benefitting me.
    If your using old drives that are older than 3-5 years depending on model. You will want to back up important data often. RAID can be beneficial but I still wouldn't run it on a home computer as its not worth the complications. You can get rid of RAID right now its just a matter of turning it off. You can have multiple hard drives in a computer with out raid. My server has 4 hard drives in it none of them are on RAID.

It was already on the computer when I bought it. Like I said, I thought learning how to reformat the hard drives while using RAID might be a good thing to know seeing how I doubt I'll be changing it any time soon.
    Just because you have a RAID controller doesn't mean your actually running a RAID setup a lot of mother boards come with a built in RAID controller these days. Even if you are running it, you can reconfigure it so that your not running it with out having to change a bunch of hardware.

All that being said if you insist on going into an IT position and you have all the RAID hardware you may as well play with it and learn it. This is the thing to know about computers. You need to play with them you need to try things for yourself you need to see 1st hand what happens when you do this or that.

So here is my advise to someone that wants to learn computers.
    OS on a thumb drive in fact several different OSes on Thumb drives, XP, 7, and 8 when it comes out, Unbuntu, and RedHat as well.
    On a 2nd and 3rd thumb drive and maybe even a blue ray, put all your critical your going to hate yourself if you lose it data.
    Then your free to play because you really can't **** anything up anymore that can't be undone. You can try all sorts of **** out with your important data safe and a quick way to get back to it. You can change reg keys, delete services, delete sys files, run all sorts of files its all good. Get an understanding of how all these things work tougher without fear.

Posted On:
    11/29/2012 5:10pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Once again why do you want to reformat? Its not needed 99% of the time. Are you changing fileformat for some reason? Your running NTFS if your on XP NTFS is the file standard for 7 and 8.
    If you want to wipe a drive to just start over go with
    http://www.diskwipe.org/
    Dude, you are focusing way too hard on the "why". I just said I thought this was a good question for a thread like this and may be useful to me later. I'm thinking if I got hit with some nasty virus or just plain wanted to start fresh.

Basically though the answer to all your questions will be in the below article about disk management.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309000
    Aha!

No, in fact it doesn't even have to be installed on a hard drive at all. I though my advise to use a portable OS off of a Thumb drive earlier would have given you this hint.
    You can also boot an OS off DVD or Blue Ray as well.
    Is this just a matter of inserting OS CD in the computer and copy and pasting files to a thumb drive?

If your using old drives that are older than 3-5 years depending on model. You will want to back up important data often. RAID can be beneficial but I still wouldn't run it on a home computer as its not worth the complications. You can get rid of RAID right now its just a matter of turning it off. You can have multiple hard drives in a computer with out raid. My server has 4 hard drives in it none of them are on RAID.
    It doesn't have anything on it I'm worried about losing, it's just used for movie watching and will change to report writing come school. I'm going to upgrade it piece by piece as I can afford it anyway.

Just because you have a RAID controller doesn't mean your actually running a RAID setup a lot of mother boards come with a built in RAID controller these days. Even if you are running it, you can reconfigure it so that your not running it with out having to change a bunch of hardware.

All that being said if you insist on going into an IT position and you have all the RAID hardware you may as well play with it and learn it. This is the thing to know about computers. You need to play with them you need to try things for yourself you need to see 1st hand what happens when you do this or that.
    Will do.

So here is my advise to someone that wants to learn computers.
    OS on a thumb drive in fact several different OSes on Thumb drives, XP, 7, and 8 when it comes out, Unbuntu, and RedHat as well.
    On a 2nd and 3rd thumb drive and maybe even a blue ray, put all your critical your going to hate yourself if you lose it data.
    Then your free to play because you really can't **** anything up anymore that can't be undone. You can try all sorts of **** out with your important data safe and a quick way to get back to it. You can change reg keys, delete services, delete sys files, run all sorts of files its all good. Get an understanding of how all these things work tougher without fear.
    What files should I back up? Just the **** in the "Windows" folder?
    Start a training log!

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    11/29/2012 5:41pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So Bullshido erased my profile, so I have no avatar, it says I'm a noob and I have no posts. How do I put up a new avatar? Its been a while.