Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/28/2012 7:31pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    An option to take a year of judo, from a competitive standpoint will, through fairly straightforward logic, make you better at grappling. In regards to my own experience with judo, which has lasted about a year now, I can tell you that I would consider a year to be VERY beneficial. It's not going to make you a master, and JUST a year of judo isn't going to make you competent enough at grappling to go straight into the ring, but it will teach you a lot of things, and would be a great platform. You're going to experience a lot of ground work, and if it's like my judo club, you're going to get a ton of newaza randori in. Also, things like armbars, triangles, and (in my club at least) the guard are things that you will have to deal with. Maybe you're not going to perfect your technique on passing the guard, but a year of practicing with it as a possibility is infinitely better than a year of practicing something that doesn't involve things you're also going to find in MMA.

From standing, as previously mentioned, ukemi is a perfectly practical skill, as is getting your body used to getting thrown and taken down. Also, you'll be doing randori quickly, and that will contain a lot of things (not just throws, but, you know, throws) that will transfer to MMA; going back to my guard example, sure you might not be a total master at how to perform and defend against standard throws, but you will certainly be much better than you were before you did judo.

However, this is also assuming that judo is your only option. If you had an option of either taking a year of BJJ, or judo, or wrestling, or sambo (and for some reason can't take a common, mutually beneficial combination like judo and bjj), I think the debate would be less objective, and would consequently garner more conversation. As it is, however, judo versus no judo seems completely lopsided in favor of taking judo. And come on, judo is an absolute blast.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/29/2012 1:15am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave R. View Post
    I would not go as far as to say Judo throws do not transfer well in MMA. I donít agree with that at all. Judo has shown its success at all levels of MMA. However, the people I have seen with success in MMA that also has a Judo background are all at least ranked at shodan and for the average person shodan takes several years.
    Back in the late 90's I had 16yo kid take judo for a year no prior MA or grapling experiance, Next two years wresteled in high school. He was good at judo never was promoted as I remember, could have been green or entry level brown. But had a year of quality judo, we were producing Olympians at the time. His name Josh Barnet. BTW if you ask him he will tell you I was kicking his ass daily, he was only 16. Quality judo will benifit your game.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/01/2012 10:43am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Speaking for Ukemi, I found it very transferable this morning when I walked straight out of my front door at full speed to find the path very slippy before I knew it I was in a perfect front break fall position, unharmed

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/01/2012 5:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judo will vastly improve your balance- will teach you how to throw a fully-resisting opponent to the ground (hard)- will teach you to take falls from tons of different angles, will improve your ground game by forcing you escape and/or submit a person quickly, and will make you tougher.

If you take away all that then no, I don't think it'll help you.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    12/09/2012 1:08am

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gluckmann View Post
    Maybe Santy will bring it.

I've been watching some of Karo Parisyan's videos on no-gi throws for MMA. A poor substitute for actual training, especially given that I've no uke to practice on, but better than nothing.
    I have his no-gi judo for mma dvds, they're great. too bad he's a wackadoodle.
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Posted On:
    12/09/2012 3:56am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keej613 View Post
    I'm with this guy. A year of any martial arts training is better than a year of no martial training.
    I disagree, if you spend this time doing aikido or cross-fit, ill go with cross-fit. Or better yet you go to Olympic lifting classes..or gymnastics of any kind. That will give you at least the conditioning of a fighter.
    However, a year of judo will give you good balance, awareness from sweeps, some basic throw skills and break-falling. Also you will get some feeling for grappling (the sensation of your legs being forced behind your head for example..or someone arm-barring you.) all stuff you will experience with no gi mma grappling.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123