Posted On:
    11/10/2012 7:49pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Internet-fu View Post
    And so explain?
    What part of Nope do you need defined? Everyone else can see where you were caught in an exaggeration at best and a lie at worst.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/10/2012 8:01pm

Style: Still deciding.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    What part of Nope do you need defined? Everyone else can see where you were caught in an exaggeration at best and a lie at worst.
    This is getting more confusing by the moment. Exaggerating or lying about what? That Don King had a huge impact on bringing corruption to Boxing?

I am glad you can reply for "everyone else".

Posted On:
    11/10/2012 8:01pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes. It's not about "taking a post". He was implying I was not "tough enough" to "take" the post. I was pointing out I don't care about that at all.

I was pointing out that I would rather not have to waste my time with the noise.
    Rabbit was predicting you would not stand the heat if you faced real interpersonal violence. I suspect his prediction has an elevated probablity of being correct. You can prove him (us) wrong then.

You could, for instance, submit a video of yours where you spar full contact under mma rules with a competent practitioner.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/10/2012 8:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    Rabbit was predicting you would not stand the heat if you faced real interpersonal violence. I suspect his prediction has an elevated probablity of being correct. You can prove him (us) wrong then.

You could, for instance, submit a video of yours where you spar full contact under mma rules with a competent practitioner.
    Let me see if I get this right....

You are suggesting that if I don't want to waste my time slinging insults with people I will likely never meet rather then talking in productive conversations that this means that I could not handle myself in a violent situation?

Maybe I should be asking you if YOU really believe what you are saying?

It's absolutely asinine to suggest that just because I won't "internet throw down" that I cannot handle myself in a violent situation.

This is pretty much validating what I said earlier about this place not really being a good place to get information.

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/10/2012 8:05pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is getting more confusing by the moment. Exaggerating or lying about what? That Don King had a huge impact on bringing corruption to Boxing?
    It's funny that you "ASSume" I'm talking about Don King.

I am glad you can reply for "everyone else".
    You've spoken for and "ASSumed" what "people," that's plural as well, were thinking or doing; why is it an issue when I do it?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/10/2012 8:11pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    It's funny that you "ASSume" I'm talking about Don King.

You've spoken for and "ASSumed" what "people," that's plural as well, were thinking or doing; why is it an issue when I do it?
    I don't want to assume anything. You have basically refused to explain yourself. Or what you are talking about. You are more interested in finding various passive-aggressive ways of insulting me.

So, now that it's clear I won't be learning anything from you either, I will just scroll past you as I discussed earlier.

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    11/10/2012 8:15pm

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's not about and has never been about avoiding dissenting points of view. It is about avoiding people who cannot present their dissenting point of view without respect to the people they are sharing it with.

That is generally the first defense the troll goes to though.
    There is a school of thought that holds that when you take opposites far enough into the extreme, they become alike in extremism; so, for example, it might not matter much whether you start off leaning left or right -- when it gets to an extreme and oppressive regime, it ends up as much the same dictatorship.

Similarly, perfect trolls are utterly void of substance because all they ever post are provocations. You, on the other hand, veer off in the opposite direction, and similarly avoid ever saying anything worth listening to because all you care about is complaining about perceived trolls. It doesn't matter whether you raise a sickle or a swastika, as it were.

I personally have no patience of sympathy for people who litter their posts with homophobic jeers or calling everyone they disagree with a "fucking idiot", but I quickly found an excellent solution: I ignore these people, or ignore those parts of posts, and take what I can from the substance that's actually there. Note that "ignore" is a verb whose meaning extends further than a piece of forum functionality -- it does not mean "hide their posts and spend all my time bitching about how mean they are".
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/10/2012 8:18pm

staff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Petter View Post

I personally have no patience of sympathy for people who litter their posts with homophobic jeers or calling everyone they disagree with a "fucking idiot", but I quickly found an excellent solution: I ignore these people, or ignore those parts of posts, and take what I can from the substance that's actually there. Note that "ignore" is a verb whose meaning extends further than a piece of forum functionality -- it does not mean "hide their posts and spend all my time bitching about how mean they are".
    This is how you ignore someone. Unlike you, Petter does not announce in threads, posts or private messages who he is going to ignore.

He just stops posting when a thread turns to crap.

Posted On:
    11/10/2012 8:20pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Let me see if I get this right....

You are suggesting that if I don't want to waste my time slinging insults with people I will likely never meet rather then talking in productive conversations that this means that I could not handle myself in a violent situation?
    I'm suggesting that how you react to what you perceive as insults points to a high possibility of you breaking under duress.

Maybe I should be asking you if YOU really believe what you are saying?
    Maybe you should.

It's absolutely asinine to suggest that just because I won't "internet throw down" that I cannot handle myself in a violent situation.
    Suggestion I didn't made.

This is pretty much validating what I said earlier about this place not really being a good place to get information.
    I'd say what you call validation is more confirmation bias than accurate evaluation.
    Last edited by DCS; 11/10/2012 8:22pm at . Reason: grammar

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/10/2012 8:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post

Ok, so lets look at his statement:

If you can't take a nasty post, no matter how right or wrong, you are going to fold like a lawn chair the moment someone's fist hits you.
    So here are the basic premises that I am reading here.

1. That there is some form of "endurance" or "stamina" involved with reading insulting posts on the internet.

And:

2. That if someone is not "tough" enough to handle posts on the internet that they cannot therefore handle themselves in person in a real fight.

Here are the reasons I suggested that was flawed.

A. When I stated that was that it is not about whether or not I can "take it" and just said that I don't like to waste my time with that stuff. It was never about if I could "take it" or "handle it". I can handle it just fine. But there are better things I could be doing just fine. There are people who can handle breaking the world record for eating earth worms too. But that, just as enduring juvenile internet posts would not help me achieve my goals of better capability of self defense.

B. The internet is full of people who think that trolling makes them tough. The ability to insult people from the safety of your keyboard is not an indication of anything resembling ability in martial arts. Nor is the "fortitude" to put up with childish internet posts.

I was recommended to this forum by a friend and I was hoping I might be able to have some meaningful and useful exchanges here. But I got a terrible impression of the place from multiple threads including some of the ones that are supposed to be for serious investigations. This thread for example was started when the admin moved one of my posts from the one about Purple Dragon academy being investigated here. I didn't like the conduct in that thread. Too many conclusions were jumped to. And I have seen people's lives be seriously harmed by people publishing their amateur detective crap about someone or their business.

To be fair I have seen effort on the part of some of the mods to ask for proof and all that. But many of the users here don't do that.

I am not here to prove myself. I was hoping to learn something. And I did, it will be a good case study for my documentary about internet trolling and how the internet often distorts and clouds issues with bullshit and therefore renders itself useless.

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 891011 ... LastLast