Our Sponsors:

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 121314 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/11/2012 3:49pm

Style: Still deciding.

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lol as if anyone was following the rules anyway. So silly. Bunch of keyboard warriors.

Posted On:
    11/11/2012 4:43pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Internet-fu View Post
    lol as if anyone was following the rules anyway. So silly. Bunch of keyboard warriors.
    I didn't see anyone trolling you in the newbie town thread.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    11/11/2012 4:52pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Internet-fu. Welcome to ymas.......
    Hahara ha ha hahahaha ha ha. Been waiting for this.

When you get sent on down to trollshido your candy ass is mine.

Posted On:
    11/11/2012 4:59pm

Join us... or die

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Has anyone pointed out for their to be an appeal to mockery first he has to make an argument. For it to be an argument he has to give reasons or evidence for accepting a particular conclusion. Something that he has rarely done. He doesn't make arguments he states his opinion then gets upset when someone disagree with them.

Posted On:
    11/11/2012 6:37pm

Style: BJJ, MMA, JJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, semantics. There are studies that show that. I think I can post links now when I have more time I will put together something.
    As somebody else pointed out, there is world of difference between a study and statisitc. Although both can be skewed, misinterpreted and misused.They are definitely not interchangable, however, and attempting to do so points out that you don't know what you are talking about.

Nah I think that is total bunk. No offense. I have seen people "win" arguments with well placed insults and other bullshit that was not even relevant to a given conversation even when they were 100% factually wrong. People hide behind insults when their argument is failing. That's the core of "Ad hominem" and "Appeal to ridicule" fallacies. Which are both attempts to hide the weakness of someone's argument by attacking the person rather then the issue.
    Again, that is one of the benefits of this site. You don't get to '"win" arguments' on here without the facts. There is an acute level of awarenes, forum wide, of logical fallacies and people will jump into a given thread merely to point out that a fallacy is in use. The combative nature of discourse requires a higher level argumentative competency and also sets a higher bar for what "wins".

Anyone who is right does not need to be rude about it. The facts are presented and they make the argument. I have seen taunts, ridicule and witty insults completely distract from the total logical failure of someone's argument.
    Nor, does being rude about it change the rightness(sic) of it. Rather than distract from it, the taunts and insults of serve to highlight logical fallacies. You just need to step back and see it for what it is, rather than getting so emotionally invested into the 0's and1's that make up the screen in front of you.

Most of that stuff plays on man's natural fear of rejection and ostracism because as primitive hunter-gatherers being cast out of the tribe was a good way to get killed. When people see someone being ganged up on they tend to hesitate before coming to their aid because to associate yourself with the person being cast out risks the same thing happening to you. We tend to learn this stuff in school where the "in crowd" gets to assume dominance by controlling this sort of dialog. And that's how you end up being measured by silly illogical things like the sort of shoes you wear rather then your intellect or character.
    Wait, how did we get from the efficacy of insults to hide/discover logical fallacies to repressed memories of being taunted for bad shoe choice in high-school? This does not a congruent argument make.

Trolls or troll-addicts sometimes find a "cause" to latch onto so they can justify their "cyber-bullying" behavior. You will find people who are say, political activists deciding to spend their time going to the forums or facebook groups of people who represent the opposing view (liberals vs. conservatives, etc) and spending a lot of time verbally spitting on people to get their satisfaction and when they are done to avoid remorse they come up with some way to rationalize it. Clearly those nasty people "had it coming".
    Oh, a cause like "the internet is full of trolls and they must be stopped!"? And what does this have to do with my 'crusade' that you were referring to?

There is nothing wrong with criticism. But when you apply silly juvenile insults to it, it's like adding something flowery and unnecessary to your martial skills. I guess it depends on your goal.
    True, like if your goal was to actually challenge your own ideas about the martial arts you probably would've avoided all the insults you are complaining about. However, if your goal was to go to a site with a famously caustic astmosphere to lecture them about the perils of trolling.......

Do you want to "win" debates in the eyes of people stupid enough to think that if I call you a poopy-head while I say 2+2=5 that I "win"?
    Despite this thread being moved to YMAS I will continue to respond to you in a newbietown tone. Yes, there is substantial inference behind that.

I am not on here to "win" debates. I thoroughly enjoy engaging in them, and relish the educational experience from crossing swords, so to speak, with some very intellectually sharp individuals. But first and foremost I am here to expand my understanding of the martial arts and this site has already profoundly influenced my journey (positively that is).

Secondly, none of the regular members of this forum (in my own opinion/experience) are "stupid enough" by your definition. The only person who seems to think that that line of argument "wins", is you.

Or do you want to share information and arrive at a new understanding?
    I already have, you should try it.
    Last edited by cualltaigh; 11/11/2012 6:44pm at .
    Dum spiro, spero.
    Tada gan iarracht.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/11/2012 11:50pm

Style: Muay Thai/Wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're forgetting this website also functions as a catalyst for people to meet up and spar in real life. There is ample video evidence of this. That in and of itself pretty much negates the 'keyboard warrior' inference.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/12/2012 3:36am

Style: Taijiquan, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Still....can't ....quite....leave....must...respond....

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    11/12/2012 4:58am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The internet is statistically proven to make people behave stupidly if they are not careful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Resonance10 View Post
    To be fair I think Internet-(si)fu has proved himself right..
    Is this an example of internet irony?

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    11/12/2012 11:30am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you want people to learn from you then engaging their ego is not the way to go about it.
    This statement shows you know very little about a great many things, particularly the massive ego problem you have and are putting on display in this thread.

If you say (just for example) "Chi Sao is ineffective in real combat..."
    A red herring and a stupid one at that...so basic a grade schooler could identify it in debate.

And then go into an analysis as to why, while being respectful the person is far more likely to listen. Lets say you formulate a great argument. And your conduct while giving your case is positive. That person is not therefore worried they are going to be humiliated for you being right.
    Humiliated? Being right? You're using terms that don't apply to chi sau at all, except to your own big fat ego.

Now their ego, self esteem and public image are at stake.
    Now you're conflating terms and talking like an idiot.

This is why it's not efficient. It's not just about it being immoral or immature though there are arguments to be made about that.
    Yes you are very immature.

If you want the person to learn from you doing something that is almost guaranteed to compel the person not to admit you are right is not effective at all. In many cases they will reject everything you say out of hand.
    So butthurt = "I'm not gonna listen to you nyah nyah?"

Your solution is feed their ego? Stupid strikes again.

That's why I said I guess it depends on your goal.
    Depends on the forum you're in...dummy.

If you have a strong opinion about Chi Sao or any other martial art issue and you want the person to understand why you feel that way for the sake of the betterment of martial arts as a whole then shitting on them is not the way to get them to open their mind.
    Shows what you know. Getting hit with a stick can be instant karma...no need for a debate.

A punch in the face is more "mind-opening" than a year of discussion about being punched in the face.

If your goal is just to have fun at the expense of others to let off stress while deluding yourself into thinking you are actually contributing something to society, troll on.
    Says the troll. Irony troll strikes!

And it's not that I can't take a "post". This is not about stamina or endurance.
    Straw man. Who said anything about stamina or endurance of your body? It's about you and your angry posts.

You're just not mindful of your actions, or you would not be posting the tripe you are, "internet fu".

It's about efficient use of someone's time and energy. I have better things to do with my time then read stuff about people's penis sizes.
    But here you are, like so many before you who claimed their egos were totally in check and they totally could, like, debate fighting and why is the internet is so harsh, man.

The truth is you're the biggest type of problem on the internet: a big crybaby.

Nah. This place has that nifty ignore feature. That's good enough for me.
    At last, the coward reveals himself to be both beginning and end. If you want to wall yourself in so that you can only hear your own ego speak, please proceed.

I could ignore you without the Ignore feature, if I chose, no matter what you said. If you can figure out how, you've taken a baby step forward.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 11/12/2012 11:40am at .
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 121314 LastLast