Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 891011 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/30/2012 3:02pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I bought some hockey gloves real cheap from ebay and they have held up pretty well. I like them because, like Perma said, in grapling I can just fling them off and grapple at will.

I haven't graduated to fencince masks yet. I would like to, but until I can start taking less shots to the head, I'm going to keep with what I'm using now which is this:

http://www.proforcema.com/productdetail.cfm?prodid=2508

Except without the flap things on there. I don't recoment a hockey helmet which is what I started with. When ever you take a shot to the head, it rings so loud in there you think your ears are going to bleed.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    12/01/2012 4:45am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you very much, guys. This helps me out greatly.

As one could maybe expect, I have a few follow-up questions:

1. How do I assess the size of my head gear when I am not able to try it on? Like, my H&M hat is size M...
    2. I own one of these beauties from my Chunner days. Are they of any use for FC stickfighting? If I exchange the visor, perhaps?
    3. How big is the grappling aspect in Kali Tudo? Like, for me, BJJ is on the same level as math was in high school: I recognize it's usefulness, but it's just not for me. Is this something that I will be able to compensate?
    4. Still, I am thoroughly confused about FMAs. Which is the style to train? I have contacted Lonely, but the DBMA structure in Germany seems to be that they teach based on seminars with associated schools. However, these associated schools do not seem to share a curriculum, and most Kali I have seen so far IRL looked an awful lot like dancing. What style to choose there?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/01/2012 5:29am

Style: DocePares/MMA(YawYan)

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiro Protagonist View Post
    Thank you very much, guys. This helps me out greatly.

As one could maybe expect, I have a few follow-up questions:

1. How do I assess the size of my head gear when I am not able to try it on? Like, my H&M hat is size M...
    2. I own one of these beauties from my Chunner days. Are they of any use for FC stickfighting? If I exchange the visor, perhaps?
    3. How big is the grappling aspect in Kali Tudo? Like, for me, BJJ is on the same level as math was in high school: I recognize it's usefulness, but it's just not for me. Is this something that I will be able to compensate?
    4. Still, I am thoroughly confused about FMAs. Which is the style to train? I have contacted Lonely, but the DBMA structure in Germany seems to be that they teach based on seminars with associated schools. However, these associated schools do not seem to share a curriculum, and most Kali I have seen so far IRL looked an awful lot like dancing. What style to choose there?
    1) Can't help you there, the sizing for FMA headgear seems to vary wildly.

2) No. Padding's too limited, I've tried with similar and I'd rather use the shitty fencing mask I got on ebay.

3) Depends on who is teaching it, the first Kali Tudo dvd doesn't deal with much grappling at all

4) There is a DBMA curriculum but its not enforced very strongly from what I understand. With a lot of FMA schools you're going to see a good bit of dancy ****, even if that school has a really strong competition record, I'd recommend just picking the school that's both nearest to you (so you can get as much training as possible) and has the most fighters who compete/attend Dog Brothers gatherings.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/01/2012 1:50pm

Style: FMA

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I find that head gear should fit like a shoe fits.......comfortably. That said, different shoes fit differently and so will different head gears made by different manufacturers. Originally I wore a liner because the mask moved too much. I used decommissioned masks from fencing clubs. Try before you buy if possible.

What you see as grappling practiced in DBMA is an evolved entity. There was little, if any, at the beginning of it all. Marc Denny met the Machados early on (I think he introduced Guro Inosanto to them) and it grew from there. Top Dog earned a purple belt (I think). Arlan worked with Krabi Krabong as a counter measure to this. I would say that you should develop your own version of what you need to counter it rather than try to learn what you (by your comments) won't practice. I hear that (former World Champion Boxer) Ray "Boom Boom" Mancini trains with the Machados now and has developed a wicked anti-grappling skill as well as an ability to work on the ground too.

The answer as to what FMA style to train is a difficult one to answer. Depends on what you have near by and how they train. I will echo Fuzzy's comment about training with those who do what you would like to do.

Good luck.

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    12/01/2012 4:41pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you very much, guys.

This gives me a clue how to look for things, and where to buy my gear. The first DB event that I could attend would be in February already, so, even if I don't make it there, I want to have my stuff sorted out before that.

Now, as to the primary style to train in, since I understand attending to the DB events, or being a member of the DB association (which I don't plan to become any time soon), is not tied to the practice of Kali, perhaps let me rephrase:

If I cannot find a good Kali school, what should I train? Karate? Kakujenbo? German Jiu Jitsu?

Like, I think I might be able to make do with the DVDs alone for a while, but of course, regular sparring, and, well, people, would be nice.

Posted On:
    12/02/2012 12:38am

Style: FMA

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To replt to hiro:
    1) to size head gear read the manufacturer s sizing guide. I like absolutefencinggear.com. You wrap a piece of string around your head, measure the string and there you have it.

2) can't see the link right now.

3) if you have no FMA background focus on what you can learn. Learning how to wield a stick is the first step. Find an instructor and if you want pick up some DVDs to supplement.

4) with FMA styles, I definitely find some more practical than others but as I mentioned you may just have to take what you can get. Fundamentals are valuable wherever they come from. If you really want to learn FMA find a group near you that you can train with on a weekly basis and go to whatever seminars you can when they are available. If you have multiple groups available near you visit them and ask questions, see who thinks the same as you.

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    12/02/2012 4:41am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you.
    On the risk of asking something obvious/stupid, but is there no chance I can just do stickfighting, without all the dancing/bullshido that will come with this?

Because, no offense, but judging from the experiences I made with German Kali practitioners in real life so far, I am sorely tempted to simply buy all the DB DVDs, and to retreat to my basement.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/02/2012 5:46am

Style: DocePares/MMA(YawYan)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiro Protagonist View Post
    Thank you.
    On the risk of asking something obvious/stupid, but is there no chance I can just do stickfighting, without all the dancing/bullshido that will come with this?

Because, no offense, but judging from the experiences I made with German Kali practitioners in real life so far, I am sorely tempted to simply buy all the DB DVDs, and to retreat to my basement.
    Hmm.

Depends on your access to sparring partners, but I'm inclined to say that any "dancers" who compete regularly will chew through your self-trained ass like a chainsaw through cheesecake.

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    12/02/2012 6:06am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Again, don't get me wrong, but is there really no way of doing THIS

That doesn't lead through THIS?

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    12/02/2012 6:08am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll be fine with the answer, but... *Sigh.* Soccer moms, teenage nerds, and twens that have never been in a fight but talk of nothing else than how badass they are because of style X. - HERE I COME!
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 891011 LastLast