Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    11/08/2012 10:45am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you very much, guys. :)

So, if I want to participate in something like that, what should I train?

My next endeavors in the martial seem to lead to a longer engagement with JJJ.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/08/2012 10:50am

Style: DocePares/MMA(YawYan)

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's a list of European training groups, not sure how far you are from Barcelona:

http://www.dogbrothers.ch/pages/en/t...ing-groups.php

Failing that, I'd say train something with weapons to complement your JJJ and work on conditioning, maybe try and attend some seminars (which is my plan for next year).

Also if I make it to the Euromega next year I'd be happy to hit you with a padded stick in preparation.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    11/08/2012 12:18pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've gotten involved with the Dog Brothers in the last few years, fighting at 3 open gatherings and attending another 3 or 4 as a spectator/drummer/crowd defender (they used to have guys with big shields to keep the fights from spilling into the crowd). While I could paraphrase some of their core philosophies, Marc Denny is more eloquent than I am, so I'll post the relevant parts.

First, there are some words that he says before every gathering starts:
    The MAGIC WORDS: "No judges, no referees, no trophies. One rule only: Be friends at the end of the day. This means our goal is that no one spends the night in the hospital. Our goal is that everyone leaves with the IQ with which they came. No suing no one for no reason for nothing no how no way!Real Contact Stickfighting is Dangerous and only you are responsible for you, so protect yourself at all times
    I like this approach, partly because its a good general set for avoiding injury without spelling out every single thing one shouldn't do. It also hints at the community nature of training- these events are about a tribe coming together to strengthen its members. If too much force is used, you break someone and the tribe is weaker, but if you use too little, then that person doesn't get the benefit and again the tribe is weaker. Contrast this with the purely individual nature of a lot of contest-based training.

Another thing is the terminology etc associated with dogs. One perspective:
    The Dog Brothers name is symbolic as well. According to Denny, it came about because he saw that men practicing the martial arts seemed to have the behavior patterns of a pack of dogs: this pack versus that pack, hierarchy within the pack (Who’s the top dog? Who’s second? Who gets to breed?), etc. What is most important, however, is the bond of the pack. “It is sometimes said that if you’re not the lead sled dog, the view’s always the same,” Denny said. The bond, therefore, leads the students into different aspects of training, rather than to the who’s-better-than-whom debate. The metaphor of dogs includes some of the qualities dogs seem to have: courage, fidelity and loyalty-all of which the Dog Brothers try to incorporate into their training.
    For a more complete overview of the DBMA group and fighting arts, read this page:
    http://dogbrothers.com/?p=112#more-112

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i thought they used shock knives, so that slashes *do* hurt, am i wrong about that?

i've suggested them for my dojo's tomiki aikido classes but no one seems interested.
    They used them a few years ago, when the Gathering was at the Powerhouse Gym in LA. I was one of the guinea pigs. I shocked my arm before the match to test it, and didn't like it at all, but during the fight I don't remember feeling it at all (though I'm sure it hit me). One of the objections is that shock knives have a trigger/button you hold down to complete the circuit, so you have to squeeze as you attack. The other problem with that was when people would white-knuckle the weapon (cause the other guy has one and that's scary) and cause the batteries to run out too quickly. They're also very expensive and aluminum trainers provide the fear element enough (although only in a ballistic manner)

Posted On:
    11/08/2012 12:38pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiro Protagonist View Post
    So, if I want to participate in something like that, what should I train?
    The cheapest way I've found to make trainer machetes is to simply buy some of the cheapo $5 variety and use a bench grinder to blunt the edge till it's all but useless for slicing.

These are still not toys and can easily cause nasty bruises or even shallow lacerations. (like a butter knife) But they do allow a more forgiving margin of error than a live blade while providing realistic weight, balance and range.

Live blades are only for the very advanced and exceptionaly controled.
    Last edited by Mr. Machette; 11/08/2012 12:58pm at .

Posted On:
    11/08/2012 12:49pm

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    The cheapest way I've found to make trainer machetes is to simply buy some of the cheapo $5 variety and use a bench grinder to blunt the edge till it's all but useless for slicing.
    Absolutely. I've got four cheap machetes that I've dulled, for just that sort of practice. Yes, they're still dangerous, and I've received some nasty bone bruises from them.

Also, every once in a while you need to file the burrs down, or you'll be sparring against a wood saw.

Posted On:
    11/08/2012 12:55pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's a thread around here somewhere about DIY training bolos made out of plastic and a bandsaw. Seemed like a good idea- I've tried some trainers made out of cutting boards and such and they work well. I've made a few dull metal machetes too, but I don't think they're very suitable for serious unpatterned training. IMO you'd be better off with a large aluminum trainer, because even though they're still metal, they're wider at the same weight so you don't have such a narrow cross section to hit with.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/09/2012 2:17pm

Style: Aikido, bits of jits

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Super cheap-o option for making your stick sparring feel more like blade sparring: thicken up one side of the handle of a sparring stick so that you can feel the edge orientation in your hand.

I found this trick by accident when putting rope grips on the sticks I hit the tyre with. I used common whipping to make the grip (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_whipping).
    If you don't feel like doing the whipping you could just put a short piece of rope under some grip tape for the same result.

Posted On:
    11/09/2012 2:57pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    They would not move like that if those sticks were replaced with machetes.
    Well, being struck with rattan sticks on your unprotected body is something with more pain-feedback than padded sparring with more realistic blade shapes. I fight more carefully with the Dog Brothers than I do when "playing swords".

Its also worth learning to deal with attacks that are not the way "they're supposed to be". If someone doesn't respect the weapon and continues advancing after being struck, you have to keep fighting, not stop to inform them that they should be dead.

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    11/09/2012 3:04pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi all! Thanks again, this is really helping me out! :)

So, essentially, to those meetings, one can go without any specific qualifications - like, a Kali black belt, or whatever? Because I'd like to go some time, but I don't want to have to train ten years for it, just to please some association officials.

But so the main art displayed here is... What? Kali? Escrima?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/09/2012 3:09pm

Style: Kali

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiro Protagonist View Post
    Hi all! Thanks again, this is really helping me out! :)

So, essentially, to those meetings, one can go without any specific qualifications - like, a Kali black belt, or whatever? Because I'd like to go some time, but I don't want to have to train ten years for it, just to please some association officials.

But so the main art displayed here is... What? Kali? Escrima?
    The whole Kali/Escrima/Arnis thing is a bit of a red herring, better to say that there are many styles of FMA all having similarities and differences (Arnis and Escrima are better known names in different parts of the Philippines, Kali is better known outside of the Philippines especially NA)

as far as grading, most systems do have levels but I dont believe the DB gatherings put any requirements down (other posters can probably answer that better than I though)
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast