Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 11 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    12/12/2012 12:25pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've fought at a few gatherings without insurance coverage for injuries, because after thinking about it for a while, I realized that I could always talk myself out of fighting or competition if I focused on all the bad things that could happen. I also wouldn't skateboard, wouldn't ride a bike in the city, or hike outside the range of medical support. As a young man, I feel that this is the time to be collecting experiences and stories, not waiting until I'm old, creaky and insured. In fact, I fight as a way to tell that little voice of doubt to shut the hell up because he's not the boss of me.

Having said that, I don't train at that intensity level all the time. Right now, here's my training schedule:

2 nights a week of arnis doing mostly structured drills, where I sometimes get bumps or bruises but its safe. This is run by a guy in his late 60s and his son who's got mobility problems, and the members are all friends, so its not super intense, but that's where I get my technical FMA. Single stick, double stick, sword and dagger, knife, spear, karambit.

1 night a week informal sparring workout. Some of my training partners and I get together in my backyard (or somewhere else), pad up and spar with weapons. There's usually 2-7 of us, mostly from the arnis training group but a few from other styles (one new guy is a chunner, and another has a varied background including 52 blocks). We just wear fencing masks, gloves and a cup, but we spar using padded rattan sticks or padded daggers. We have a round timer going for 1:30 and after each beep, one person goes out and another goes in, to keep it continuous (and 3 minutes in per person seems to be a good challenge without being too long). I play the drum when I'm not sparring. Once we're all tired, we usually talk about how we all performed, and work on little details. We often break off into little pairs to work on whatever. These sessions are from 7PM till like 11PM.

Then I also try to drop in to spar with other groups here and there. For example, a few weeks ago, we went to Mario Gajo's training group at We Love Kempo and did some padded stick sparring while they prepared for a tournament. This weekend I'm gonna we're gonna do some padded stick with the Cannibal Combat group. These sorts of training excursions are usually not super high intensity or heavy contact, since we're guests being treated as such, so both sides are kind of easing into things. Cross style sparring bouts can turn into a lot of "mutual kills" if they are approached too hard too fast, IMO.

Then I just do other stuff on the side for cardio etc. Bagwork, Indian clubs, jumping rope, cycling and hiking, but this is not on such a set schedule because I do it alone. Ideally, I'd get more grappling training in there, and get serious about lifting, and do MT or sanshou or something, but I don't think that's gonna happen. I have zero free nights left during the week and I have a girlfriend and full time job that take up the rest of my time. My training is not ideal, but again it comes back to the idea that you'll always be able to find excuses not to fight. I go in fighting knowing that I don't have the greatest training regimen or physique because we don't live in an ideal world so you can either work with what you've got, or complain about how you're not prepared.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/12/2012 3:18pm

Style: Pekiti-Tirsia Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    We have a round timer going for 1:30 and after each beep, one person goes out and another goes in, to keep it continuous (and 3 minutes in per person seems to be a good challenge without being too long).
    I really like that format and will be stealing it. Thanks!

Posted On:
    12/12/2012 3:20pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you for the replys it sounds as if its no more dangerous than BJJ or Judo. I can handle a few bruises fine. It sounds like the rate of stuff getting broken is low enough to not worry about.
    Now its just a matter of freeing up time and getting some gear.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    12/12/2012 3:33pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I will say that stickfighting is harder on the hands than any other sport I've seen. I've gotten some good swelling and bruising through my gloves, and I wear pretty sturdy gloves. The guys that wear batting gloves get broken fingers etc. I know someone who got a broken wrist from a padded stick (still not exactly sure how). I get a swollen up 2nd knuckle regularly enough. DBMA fights include grappling, so I'd say its more dangerous than judo or BJJ, because everything you can do in those sports you can do there, plus striking and weapons.

Crafty Dog says that real contact stickfighting isn't for everyone, and if its not for you it doesn't make you a kitten. I've trained with a few people who have their reasons for not fighting with the DBs, and that's fine. I wouldn't fault someone for not fighting because they're uninsured, or undertrained, or whatever. But I will fault myself for making excuses when I know that they're just that.

One of my favorite Crafty-isms is this: "To last over the years, one needs to be intelligent-the secret of life is to get smart faster than you get old."

If you ever see this stuff and wonder "why?", this is a great article to start with:
    http://dogbrothers.com/?p=112

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/12/2012 6:56pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, my hands sometimes feel like I stuck them in a blender. Not too bad, just a little sore.

Perma, our round are a lot like yours. We do it that way because its usually 3 of us, so it keeps everyone going.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    12/12/2012 7:05pm

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Christ No Mas View Post
    Just start doing it, man. :-)

Get yourself some rubber training knives, sticks, whatever, find a willing buddy/buddies and get used to the timing, movements and being hit.
    Yeah. & make sure you hang a couple tires & start learning the basic strikes, flow patterns and strike combinations common to all FMAs. You can actually learn a lot of this off of YouTube, there are some cheap but quality dvds to be had out there too.

outside of Dog Bros vids, here is another option, very informative and easy to follow & learn from.
    Arsenio Advincula, US Marine and expert in Okinawan Karate & Filipino Arnis/Escrima
    http://www.blackbeltshop.com/arsenio...titles_dvd.htm
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Posted On:
    12/12/2012 8:22pm

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Jude View Post
    Arsenio Advincula, US Marine and expert in Okinawan Karate & Filipino Arnis/Escrima
    I used to have those on VHS. They're pretty good*

*though every time he pronounces "sever" as "severe" it made me wince.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/12/2012 10:06pm

Style: Sticks & Jits & Fritz

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Jude View Post
    http://www.blackbeltshop.com/arsenio...titles_dvd.htm
    Hadn't heard of him before, but just read through his wikipedia article. He had quite the introduction to Martial Arts training as a kid.

Advincula began his Martial Arts training in 1946 at the age of 8. His father hired two of his friends who were close-combat instructors for the Philippine Army, Pete Rado and Tony Navarro, to train him. Pete Rado began teaching Advincula Escrima stick fighting and Tony Navarro began teaching him knife fighting with a K-Bar. They both taught him Combat Judo. Around this time his father bought him a Springfield Navy Training Rifle and he started rifle and bayonet training as well.
    It mentions a Kobudo DVD he also created, anyone seen it?

Edit* here's the wiki link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcenio_James_Advincula

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    12/13/2012 11:04am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just wondering, because my google-fu fails me:
    How much does a DB weekend seminar cost where you guys live?

Hooray, the first DVD just arrived! I is legit now, rite?!

Also, while I shun the boards these days, for a second, no irony, and no misunderstanding: I'll be happy to meet up with any of you guys, on and off the mat, whenever the opportunity presents itself. My 2013 schedule and location are still in the making until whenever I get that fucking note from the ministry of education, but then, I'll be happy to network. So, hit me up whenever you like.

I hope I'll be admitted to the DB seminar in Feucht/Bavaria on February 2nd, 2013, for starters. - "Admitted", because I don't know **** about Kali, but then, could make for a beginning.

Overall, I like this crazy ****. Makes me fire under my belly. Might stick with the sticks. Also, confession time: Since I was a child, I've had nightmares about a guy in a fencing mask. One of the few things that truly gets me to freak out. So, this is really therapy for me.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/13/2012 3:38pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The seminar prices here are not bad. The cost of getting to one is what is hard for me. I want to go to one this coming year! Fingers crossed! Are you going to keep a log of your training? Ive been doing that and it is cool to go back and read over it. Also track my progress.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 11 LastLast