Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... Last

Style
    PTK & GJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

My take on knife tapping

First let me say that I certainly do not wish to have to do this in the real world. If you find yourself having to do knife tapping, something has gone wrong.

In Pekiti Tirsia, I see knife tapping as our version of Immediate Action Drills (IAD's).

Here is what I mean. Infantryman don't want to have to react to an ambush. But ambushes happen, so they have tactics to deal with them when they do. If the ambush is set up properly, either running away or staying where you are will get you killed. The only things left are to: 1) assault the ambush, get fire superiority, take out the threat, and get out of Dodge before more bad guys come; or, 2) break contact in organized fashion while putting rounds on target. In the infantry and in most special operations units, these drills are practiced over and over again, not because they are complex or because you want to do them, but because if you have to use them in real life then it is a safe bet that things have gone bad. Therefore, you better be able to do your IAD's well, without much conscious thought, and while under very high amounts of stress. If you can't, you're toast, and so is the rest of your unit.

The knife is an ambush weapon. If the person attacking you has set thing up properly, they will have both the range and timing as well as the element of surprise. You can't turn around and run faster than they can attack, and you can't stand there and do nothing. What's left is to attack them, starting with the knife-wielding arm, give 'em "the business", and then get out of there if you can (break contact), or draw your own weapon if you cannot (assault the ambush). Furthermore, knife tapping should not be a passive parry, it should be an attack. You should be trying to punish someone's arm, not just redirect the energy. Just as with the Immediate Action Drills that we talked about above, if you cannot perform this under high levels of stress and without much in the way of conscious thought, you are in trouble, big time. As such, things should be kept simple, particularly for beginners. There are only so many angles that a knife attack can realistically come from anyway. If you want to look good for the 5-o'clock News, the flowery crap can come in after you have hammered their arm, perhaps destroyed the elbow, slammed their face into a corner or a wall, etc.

Anyway, that is what I've got.

Cheers,
    Last edited by jwinch2; 6/03/2016 1:49pm at .

Style
    mma /boxing/muai thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Trapping?
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Style
    PTK & GJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregaquaman View Post
    Trapping?
    No, tapping.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten. supporting member
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jwinch2 View Post
    You can't turn around and run faster than they can attack
    You're still better off doing exactly that.

If you run maybe you only get cut once. If you stand and fight you're much more likely to die.

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post

If you run maybe you only get cut once. If you stand and fight you're much more likely to die.
    Agreed. Unless you have others to defend running far and fast is the answer.
    Run:run home, run to a gun, run to a stick, run to a car to run them over,run to a sword,run to a cop, run to a group of people,etc.

Style
    street paddleboarding
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can you describe the technique? I've not heard that term before.

Style
    lol yet again more Judo !
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Can you describe the technique? I've not heard that term before.
    I thought I understood it from context .... but the more I think about it the more unsure I become that "tapping" is what I thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    Cardio
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From what I've seen of knife tapping, I'd rather take my chances with running away than guaranteeing multiple lacerations. Looks like a good co-ordination exercise but I wouldn't like to have to pull that **** off in a panic.
    Train hard, fight easy.

Style
    PTK & GJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post

There may be times when that is your best option, but there are many when it would not be. Watch some knife attack videos and see how many strikes someone would be able to get in by the time you turn and try to run. Note that oftentimes, things happen in enclosed spaces. Note that it is not just getting cut once, but a thrust to a vital organ that can easily be fatal.

Last edited by jwinch2; 6/07/2016 9:06am at .

Style
    PTK & GJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cake of Doom View Post
    From what I've seen of knife tapping, I'd rather take my chances with running away than guaranteeing multiple lacerations. Looks like a good co-ordination exercise but I wouldn't like to have to pull that **** off in a panic.
    Lacerations to the arms or the back, etc. are one thing. Thrusts are another. Someone who is trying to kill you, if they know anything at all, will use a thrust to the vital organs or to a major artery. As for the rest, we are in agreement. I don't want to have to pull that off either. However, having a strategy and set of techniques is better than not having it. And again, remember that many people do knife tapping wrong. It is supposed to be an attack to the limb wielding the blade, not a parrying exercise to simply get the blade out of the way.
    Last edited by jwinch2; 6/07/2016 8:52am at .

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... Last