Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Style
    shotokan karate
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

To all who listen ,is Karate useful in a street fight ?

To all who listen,

Few days ago I got into a situation on the street and it involved two tall but thin average Joes and I was with some one who had to be protected. where as I knew in a straight fight taking one of them down with my 5 months of Shotokan will not be impossible but that day every possible attack scenario left the second person open to harming my companion.

And there was this genuine fear in me about the effectiveness of the drilled kata and rule based sparing acquired skills. For in a sparing match you kind of know what kind of attack the aggressor is going to bring to the table but in the chaotic real world you don't know what the opponent is going to throw at you. More so if there are multiple attackers, karate loses its edge. Though a conciliatory and down right cowardly attitude on my part didn't let the matter come down to blows but had they chosen to attack, I was at my whits end how to protect me and my companion.

I am starting judo from the next month and hope that it would be an answer to some of those problems but please advice what kind of training one should pursue to sharpen street defense skills. I am also thinking of joining a kick boxing class but the dojo that teaches it, smells of bullshido.... as they tell me they stress on aero-boxing. So can any one tell me if I should drop my shotokan training and take up kick boxing ... or should I persevere through my present training in karate.

yours sincerely
    Student.

Style
    Drunken Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judo is awesome, but 1n T3h sTr33t2 be prepared to get a punch or two until you get a grip to your target.

Style
    Judo,MT,Boxing,BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by studentcalm View Post
    ...Though a conciliatory and down right cowardly attitude on my part didn't let the matter come down to blows...
    THIS is the real self-defense. It is not cowardly, it is SMART. De-escalate the situation, and the battle is won by the virtue that it is not fought. It doesn't matter who you are or what style you practice, anyone can be shot or stabbed in the back.

Welcome to the site, stay safe on those streets.

Style
    Wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can you elaborate on the situation you were in? You probably did the right thing by avoiding the fight, especially considering that you would have had to protect yourself and someone else against two assailants.

Judo is definitely a good idea, but if the kickboxing school only has fitness classes then that's probably not what you want.

Toronto, Ontario, The United States of Canada
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Barabbas View Post
    Judo is awesome, but 1n T3h sTr33t2 be prepared to get a punch or two until you get a grip to your target.
    Correct!

By the way, you did the right thing by not making things get confrontational. That brings all sorts of bad things like:
    - Pain
    - Police
    - Possible injury or death
    - Loss of ego
    - Inflation of ego
    - Less smiley faces =(

The best way to deal with idiots is to not acknowledge them. If you can get out of a situation using your mouth instead of your fists, take it. You never know if those guys had knives, guns, chains, mp5ks, or anything else. Don't fight unless it's necessary. Who knows, maybe if you had given in and chosen to fight, you would be reading this from a hospital bed or maybe not reading it at all.

Good luck and welcome to Bullshido.

Style
    TKD, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A lot of what you felt was due to your inexperience in actual fights against unpredictable opponents. That's an aspect of good training that is being neglected by your current school.
    Pretty much the only way to get that experience is to fight. Either in competitive environments like MMA, Kickboxing, and Grappling matches, or in actual fights. Getting in a lot of actual fights is dangerous and illegal. So your best remaining option is to get involved in MMA, Kickboxing, or Grappling.
    If your current school doesn't spar in a way that you feel prepares you for an event like K1 (in style, not caliber of opponent), or an MMA match then you probably need to look elsewhere for instruction.
    Look for a place that has an active MMA/Kickboxing fight team and join it. You'll get exactly the kind of experience you need.

Style
    Karate/Judo/Iaido
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's a loaded question; why? because any martial arts' effectiveness depends on the type of training that you are doing. No amount of point fighting will help you to be an effective fighter (real/full contact/no rules).

As Kintanon stated, you need experience; there is no substitute for that. In order to become more comfortable with your own skill, you must have them tested and proven to be effective. This testing can be in the dojo, but not without hard and heavy contact.
    Good luck, and stay safe.

Style
    BJJ, wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you want to take on multiple opponents, your best bet is a concealed carry license. With the possible exception of years of experience in a realistic stick or knife art (see Dog Brothers, the Gathering) there is no martial art that will prepare you to fight against several opponents and win.

Style
    Bartitsu&German Longsword
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Studentcalm, I recommend that you discuss this incident with your instructors and get their opinion regarding the effectiveness of the way they teach Shotokan. They need this kind of feedback from their students and you need to know if they will be able to teach better self defense than the other schools in your area.

I think you did the right thing by not fighting. You effectively protected your companion and yourself. Even if you do win fights your body can absorb a lot of damage, and some damage never heals properly.

Toronto, Ontario, The United States of Canada
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MGM View Post
    Even if you do win fights
    But he did win. A winner usually walks away from a fight right? But a master almost always walks away from a fight without a scratch.

That isn't to say that you don't have learn how to defend yourself. My suggestion is dump shotokan and train in something useful like Judo or Muay Thai. Also, gain some weight. You want to be like a snake. When someone intrudes on your space, you take them down hard and fast. None of this fucking pajama kata "OUS! OUS! OUS!" stuff that doesn't help anyone.

Okay, one more time in case none of you got it: What he did was the BEST possible thing he could have done with the best possible outcome. But to answer the original posters question: Shotokan Karate may be useful in a street fight if you've done it for 5+ years. Kyokushin Karate is useful in a streetfight in probably 1+ years. Using your head to get out of bad situations is always useful and very easy to apply once you've learned it. But if you don't want to learn how to use your head or if you feel your life is in danger on a weekly basis, go with jnp's idea of getting a concealed carry license.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last