Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/21/2012 9:57am

Style: Striking, grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Some personal advice

Yes I'm the next idiot asking for your attention, so please bear with me...

I recently changed gyms and am now at one of those fancy places with all day training, which rocks.
    I upped my training schedule from 2-4h a week to doing about 3 days, 2-3 hours at a time, boxing and BJJ. On top of that I started running, I hope to take up weight lifting and/or crossfit soon.

But ... I need to adapt my diet as I feel weak at times - not during training - and am sometimes pretty tired despite sleeping enough.

I'm 30 and skinny as ****, 71kg at 1.91m. I also tend to have low blood sugar. I can do a fair amount of push-ups and 10 full pull-ups, run a couple of miles, basically I'm in half decent shape.

I started changing my diet, cut back on alcohol and increased meat.

Diet:

- 9h a slice or two of bread with jam or cheese with a couple of cups of coffee (I dislike breakfast)

- 13h I used to just eat a sandwich but now changed to a big plate of bolognaise pasta, sausage or eggs (3).

- in between some cookies, fruit or whatever. 20-40cl of soda.

- 19-21h chicken, steak or hamburger, sometimes pizza or kebab if I'm out of food.

I generally eat fresh and often organic foods, don't smoke.

I want to put on a bit of extra muscle, go to 75-78 kg, lose the bit of fat that I have, which seems to disappear naturally anyway.
    I'm afraid the cardio is burning any muscle away and I'm just not getting enough calorie intake.

Should I take supplements? People at my gym seem big on "Turbo Mass Gainer", but would I take it only after workout or also for example in the morning? Also thinking of getting some vitamins, change of season and all...
    Also, to get the amount of mass gain I'm aiming at, is weight lifting necessary of will just training and some body weight exercises do?

Thanks!

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    9/22/2012 10:12am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lots to talk about here.

First, do you ACTUALLY want to gain real muscle mass? Ifso, cut back on the cardio, start doing more weights, and start eating LOTS more. In particular you need more protein. Protein shakes are great for that, but not totally necessary. Double up on your chicken breasts at dinner, have more eggs, start eating canned tuna or salmon etc.. these are good alternatives to protein shakes. Personally I have protein shakes with milk when i get up and before bed, as well as after a workout.

Also, your breakfast sucks. It has little protein. Eggs and fruit for breakfast is a much better way to start your day. This will likely also help with your general energy level throughout the day.

More than anything I just don't think you are eating enough. Eat more, but cut out the sugar and crap like soda, pizza, and hamburgers. If you are out, go to subway and get a low fat sub with whole wheat. Still tastes good! If you want a sugary drink at lunch have an orange juice.

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    9/22/2012 10:48am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1. Let's spar. I've always dreamed about lifting up and bodyslamming A FREAKING GIANT. :)

2. Now, in earnest: Have you ever weighed more than that? What does your doctor say about your weight?

My verdict would be:

• Ask your doctor.
    • Cut the cardio for a month. No running for you. See if you gain weight in the 5-10 pound range.
    • Change your diet as elipson has suggested.

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    9/22/2012 11:13am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Get this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Dolce-Diet-LIV...8329078&sr=1-2

Also, buy the stuff from this list, and from this list ONLY for a month or two:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	003.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	19.0 KB 
ID:	13757  

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/22/2012 1:43pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks hiro and elipson!

to be more precise, my goals are by priority:

1. get better at striking and grappling, sick of being a noob and getting slammed by mofo's like you ; )
    2. be in great shape, no gassing.
    3. put on some muscle. like a lot of tall dudes, I have a history of back problems and some muscle would help with this in the long term. People estimate me at 75 in general, might as well weigh as much. already training helps my posture.

I've weighed a bit more around christmas, round 74kg when I stuff myself with foie gras, french cheese and pastry. when I was 18, I was only 60, go figure.

I know my breakfast sucks, that's why I'm thinking of getting shakes as well, I really hate eating in the morning. those mass gainers don't look very healthy though.
    btw why no red meat for types like me? I'm big on duck, beef, lamb, all the stuff that's not on your chart...

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    9/25/2012 10:39pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you are skinny and exercising lots, red meat is fine. If you are 40 years old, fat, and get no exercise, red meat will lead to heart problems. For someone trying to gain weight however, steak is great because its loaded with protein and cholesteral. Cholesteral is a precursor to Testosterone (or so I've been informed by those who know about these things, so if im incorrect please share with the class) which is necessary for gaining weight.

Getting better at sparring will just come with time. Train hard. Gassing should take of itself after a few months.

Mass gainers aren't inherently unhealthy. If you are working out lots they should be fine.

Basically just amp up your food intake of HEALTHY food. Cut the pastries and crap out of your diet. Load up on fruit and meat. LOTS of it.

Go to Tnation.com and search the site for Posture articles. I could talk for a while about that subject, but you might as well get it from a better source. I think there is a few threads in this forum about that topic as well. Correcting posture issues takes forever. I know this from first hand experience.

Posted On:
    9/26/2012 1:55am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ashkelon View Post
    to be more precise, my goals are by priority:

1. get better at striking and grappling, sick of being a noob and getting slammed by mofo's like you ; )
    If this is your number one goal spend more time in the gym striking and grappling it will also help you with points 2 & 3.
    Of course that is easier said then done most of the time, however the best way to get good at something is to do that particular something.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/26/2012 2:27am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    stuffed my fridge with meat and veggies, stuff is expensive, but good :)
    yesterday had two protein bars after training and it helped a lot.
    reason I mention wanting to up my skill level is that I can't lower the cardio while training boxing and BJJ, it's just very cardio intensive - as you know.
    I'll drop running for now.

gonna get some turbo mass super human to top it when I'm out of time for food and after training and hope to see the PT of the gym later this week for a lifting routine. if he's proposing dodgy **** I'll be back for bully advice ; )

Posted On:
    9/26/2012 8:50am

Style: Judo & BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You need to eat more. You're weak and small. You need a strength program. A good option is to read Starting Strength and do the program. But whatever you do, you need to eat more. I mean a LOT MORE. You don't need a mass gainer, just real food (although a protein powder and fish oil are good supplements). Drink a lot of milk unless you're lactose intolerant. Peanut butter is also a good calorically dense food.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/26/2012 1:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm already eating much more, feels better.
    I believe starting strength is supposed to be done by itself, not as an aside to martial arts training?
    I saw an adapted version around here somewhere.
    I know I need a program with a lot of compound exercises (squat, deadlift, bench), I'll first see what the gym's trainer has to say.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast