Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/05/2012 6:09pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Pankration

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Position before Submission

Can someone give me a basic rundown of good positioning in the various ground (for lack of a better word) positions. I mean as in where to put your hands how to posture yourself stuff like that. I'm a mega noob so any advice will be much appreciated.

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    11/05/2012 7:15pm

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes. That someone is a BJJ instructor (or, if you prefer, a judo, SAMBO, or subgrappling instructor). There is no way you will get this stuff at all from textual descriptions. You can get it from videos, but you'll most likely get it wrong. There is no substitute for hands-on training and immediate feedback with corrections.
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”

Posted On:
    11/05/2012 7:25pm

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is pretty much what I was going to write, but I took the time to read your intro just to make sure you were actually training somewhere. But Petter is right. We could all tell you over and over about T-rex arms, not reaching across the centerline and pressure until we're blue in the face but it won't be real until someone tries to walk away with your arm because you didn't keep it close, chokes the crap out of you with your own bicep because you reached across and some little dude makes you feel like an elephant is standing on your chest. Give it a little time, you'll get it.

Posted On:
    11/05/2012 7:37pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Position before submission as a principle relates to establishing dominance before attempting a submission. For n00bs such as yourself, it means not trying out that awesome youtube armbar or UFC leglock you saw. For the time being you should be trying to get into side control and mount and staying there. I repeat, "and staying there". This will be harder than it sounds. Once you are able to stay there you will have an idea of what dominance feels like.

Your goal should be to pass guard to side control and move from side control to mount without being subbed, swept or mounted yourself.

Then it is time to work on submissions. Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    Ups to Battlefields for dropping the sage wisdom.

You are like a Pimp Yoda.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
    Battlefields... You're more of a man than I am.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    11/05/2012 8:16pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While Petter is right, nothing can beat hands-on instruction, here are a few general guidelines.

1. Focus on keeping your elbows close to your body. Tight elbows are good defense and make it much more difficult to finish armbar or Kimura or Americana submission attempts.

2. When on top, always post your hands on your opponents body, rather than on the ground. Be careful to do so in a manner that pins them to the mat (post on the clavicle or hip area) so you don't present an armbar opportunity.

3. Looking for a place to put your hands? First try the inside of their elbows, knees, the clavicle area or on the hips. Look to push in order to disrupt their balance or posture.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Posted On:
    11/05/2012 8:23pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYhR...=results_video
    Keep your arms safe, keep control of the hip.
    It will come to you as you drill and practice.