supporting member
     Style: being less stupid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Re: "I Love College"

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Sleepless View Post
    I'll be totally serious here for a moment:
    Me too.

If I were to interview you for a job not knowing anything about you beforehand, I would not hire you.

The way you talk and the way you write, I wouldn't hire you even if you had all the right qualifications. You're clearly not mentally elastic enough to be able to think on your feet. You'd constantly be bugging me asking about this or that. You'd be a liability. You're very unsure of yourself and your late start in life means that you probably fucked about for several years. Meaning you didn't do anything of worth in that time and think that this computer job you're looking for is just another stepping stone in your bag of bad ideas.

I wouldn't hire you.
    It's not always about what you really are as it is what you can make yourself appear to be. Having said that, your assessment is wrong. I knew before asking my questions here the path I was thinking about would be a difficult one, maybe not how difficult, nonetheless I wanted to pursue it. Not something someone that is "unsure" would likely do.

Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    Look the simple truth is all of those test and thing just don't mean ****. Trying to figure out what the **** to do has been a question on peoples minds ever since they really have had the option.
    The good news is you can change your mind many times.
    Look work is work, it sucks, even when you do something you "love" it sucks.

Your goal is to figure out what is not going to make you put a gun in your mouth. We spend nearly 1/2 our waking hours at work. You just have to make sure it will pay you enough that you have enough money to have 3 times rent in an area you want to live beyond this its all about having the right priorities. When it comes to money management its not how much you make its how much you keep (making more can help with keeping more).

Stop looking for a good field and look for the right field for you. You should know what it is you LIKE to do by now.
    So what is it you like to do?
    The most fun I ever had at a job was my second job, working under a Computer Tech. One of the reasons I went to computers when looking at degree choices. Being a father has given me a lot of pride in providing a good life for my child, maybe CPS. To be honest, I don't know what all is out there for me which is why I'll be going through the course catalog tonight to get an idea of what there even is out there.
    Start a training log!

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

Posted On:
    11/05/2012 7:12pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
    I thought I understood, I asked for clarification because nobody I have ever met referred to anyone as the "ook ook i gotz degree" crowd or "rock stars".
    Really? You should get out more. These days, "rock star" (and even "ninja") will appear in employment ads.

As far as the sanitation route goes, I agree with everyone. Decent wages, benefits, job security. However, if I get a degree would that not be a better option?
    Maybe, maybe not. If your only interest in a degree is a Good Job, and as you have, apparently, no real interest in studying anything, you may as well just get a sanitation job. College will leave you overqualified for many good jobs like that, and perhaps even in significant debt. If you don't have a passion for something, you're just going to be another asshole with a degree. The US has a glut of those already, and we're running out of Starbucks stores to employ them all.

Sanitation workers aren't mentally handicapped or stupider than people with degrees, by the way. A degree doesn't reflect intelligence, only a certain amount of cultural capital and the patience to sit in a series of rooms, listening to conversations and watching slide shows, for four years.

Any tests I have ever applied myself on throughout school and life I breezed through.
    Grade inflation is endemic in American school systems.

Posted On:
    11/05/2012 7:24pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivington View Post
    God damn if this isn't the truth, as many of you have figured out I am not the best writer around. Get this **** I got 120% on a freaking college paper I wrote in about 1/2 an hour. That same paper in High School (1993-1997) would have netted me maybe a solid C.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    11/05/2012 7:41pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Re: "I Love College"

Quote Originally Posted by Rivington View Post
    Really? You should get out more. These days, "rock star" (and even "ninja") will appear in employment ads.
    Wow, I have yet to run into this on Craigslist. Maybe that's a sign of the job market in my area. Also, I lol'ed at "ninja ;)" as I thought you were using PC White to tell me some employers are using the word "nigga" in their ads.

Maybe, maybe not. If your only interest in a degree is a Good Job, and as you have, apparently, no real interest in studying anything, you may as well just get a sanitation job. College will leave you overqualified for many good jobs like that, and perhaps even in significant debt. If you don't have a passion for something, you're just going to be another asshole with a degree. The US has a glut of those already, and we're running out of Starbucks stores to employ them all.
    Damned if I do...

A degree doesn't reflect intelligence, only a certain amount of cultural capital and the patience to sit in a series of rooms, listening to conversations and watching slide shows, for four years.
    Not totally sold on this, but that's beside the point.

Maybe I just don't understand how grade inflation works, but I know I had to learn what was on the tests to pass.
    Start a training log!

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

Posted On:
    11/05/2012 7:50pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not totally sold on this, but that's beside the point.
    That is because you haven't been to college yet and haven't had to work on a group project there yet either.
    Trust me their are some dumb ass mother fuckers in school. Yes they will graduate and have that degree it is far from a symbol of intelligence and most people know this.

Maybe I just don't understand how grade inflation works, but I know I had to learn what was on the tests to pass.
    yeah yeah, I have been in classes where they drop your lowest score, grade on a curve, let you retake the test and just about give you all the answer for the test on the test.
    This is the **** they have had to do because of grade inflation and to make sure people pass courses. I don't trust the academic system at all anymore.

Posted On:
    11/05/2012 9:47pm

Style: Boxing, Solar Ray Attack

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes they will graduate and have that degree it is far from a symbol of intelligence and most people know this.
    I think what you do with your time there says an awful lot more, especially if we're in the game to make generalized statements about a person's intelligence. We can make all kinds of generalizations about someone's degree in communications, but maybe this guy in question just happened to have a leadership or founding role in 27 campus clubs. Likewise, a dude who tackled some of the most complicated science and graduated with 200+ credit hours with his bachelors of science.

When you try to classify it like catching pokemon these two still end up with the same diploma, maybe with honors or something, but the letters on the A4 card stock don't really speak for the in between.
    http://woodwardswhiskey.wordpress.com/

He was punching him like the collective karmic debt he'd accrued was coming to collections, mostly on his face.

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/05/2012 10:13pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That is because you haven't been to college yet and haven't had to work on a group project there yet either.
    Trust me their are some dumb ass mother fuckers in school. Yes they will graduate and have that degree it is far from a symbol of intelligence and most people know this.

yeah yeah, I have been in classes where they drop your lowest score, grade on a curve, let you retake the test and just about give you all the answer for the test on the test.
    This is the **** they have had to do because of grade inflation and to make sure people pass courses. I don't trust the academic system at all anymore.
    Damn it, I don't think you understand the irony of reading every one of your posts on intelligence, college and the lack of importance of a degree while watching you **** up there, their, your, you're, our and are.

Yes, you've been doing it for years. It is hilarious in this particular thread.

Posted On:
    11/05/2012 10:19pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Damn it, I don't think you understand the irony of reading every one of your posts on intelligence, college and the lack of importance of a degree while watching you **** up there, their, your, you're, our and are.

Yes, you've been doing it for years. It is hilarious in this particular thread.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    11/05/2012 10:46pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I went to play this video and then it hit me, only my video is hooked up to the tv. For shame. Can I get a transcript?

Posted On:
    11/05/2012 11:22pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I went to play this video and then it hit me, only my video is hooked up to the tv. For shame. Can I get a transcript?
    Here is the transcript to the whole episode and its an awesome episode at that
    http://theinfosphere.org/Transcript:...dle_Playthings
    Here is the exact line that is in the above video

Bender: [singing] The use of words expressing something other than their literal intention,
    Now that is "irony".
Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ... 56789 1011121319 ... LastLast