222361 Bullies, 4977 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 34567 89101117 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    11/05/2012 2:15pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you didn't go to Phoenix, you ain't ****!

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    11/05/2012 2:18pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivington View Post
    At least the OP is thinking of community college rather than one of those for-profit McLearningUniversity.com scams.
    Hey dude, the video game industry is starving for some more stoned Adult Swim watchers to take their stacks of money.

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    11/05/2012 2:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At least the OP is thinking of community college rather than one of those for-profit McLearningUniversity.com scams.
    As a expensive joke. I have a Master's Degree in Computational Engineering from some online college. It was $80. I had to do 4, 3 hour classes. It was not as funny as I thought it was going to be.

Posted On:
    11/05/2012 2:28pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Since things have to be said in as explicit of a manner as possible here.
    Order of importance for getting a new job:
    Relevant Professional Certifications (Things you may need to even legally be able to do the job)
    Knowing people in the industry.
    Previous Job titles that closely match what you are trying to get.
    A history of improving Job titles and consistent and steady work.
    A piece of paper that says you made it through the academic bullshit that has nothing to do with your job.

Don't get me wrong school is good, its a place where you can go and learn the skills you need, meet the people you need to meet and start to get real world experience.
    Just don't expect to come out of school with a BA and expect to make more than 40k or so if you don't have any other real world relevant experience.

This also sadly includes at this moment in time things like Engineering, I have a buddy that is an engineering manager at Motorola that just hired 4 Electrical Engineers straight out of college for 38K a year a piece. Now they where not the brightest or the best and all had 0 other real world experience other than maybe working at hot dog on a stick.

If they stick out their work on the right projects in a few years they can go else where and start to make some real money.

Posted On:
    11/05/2012 2:30pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Sleepless View Post
    As a expensive joke. I have a Master's Degree in Computational Engineering from some online college. It was $80. I had to do 4, 3 hour classes. It was not as funny as I thought it was going to be.
    Question, do you put that Masters on your resume when job hunting?

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    11/05/2012 2:31pm

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Of course not, he's not that stupid.

Posted On:
    11/05/2012 4:17pm

Style: Boxing, Solar Ray Attack

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll give you the advice I always give in this situation, but its more geared towards the chemistry end of the spectrum rather than CS.

I really think you should pick an area that you want to do or are interested in. It's going to help you in the long run. It's far better to wait a few years and find something you're interested in than just going "for the experience".

I would also suggest that while you have to fulfill certain degree requirements, I would make sure that any degree program includes a hefty dose of lab/skill oriented coursework, as opposed to only lecture courses. Ideally, you want to be able to show you have skills using say a GC or a toshiba ion trap MS or something like that. Even better if you're lucky and get a work study position in that area.

Also, you can save a **** load of money taking care of prereqs at a community college, if you're going for a specialized degree.
    http://woodwardswhiskey.wordpress.com/

He was punching him like the collective karmic debt he'd accrued was coming to collections, mostly on his face.

Posted On:
    11/05/2012 4:20pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No effing way!

Please post links. Not trolling (for once). This I gotta see!

Posted On:
    11/05/2012 4:55pm

Style: being less stupid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Re: "I Love College"

If you are incapable of understanding basic figurative language, you will be wasting your time in college. I would second the suggestion to find work in sanitation, which is a perfectly fine job, that often pays well, is crucial for civilization, and that has high enough turnover that you could probably find something in the field.
    I thought I understood, I asked for clarification because nobody I have ever met referred to anyone as the "ook ook i gotz degree" crowd or "rock stars". As far as the sanitation route goes, I agree with everyone. Decent wages, benefits, job security. However, if I get a degree would that not be a better option? I could understand sanitation as a temporary means to an end, but it's not like I'm mentally handicapped and that is my only/best option. Any tests I have ever applied myself on throughout school and life I breezed through.

You know what? You should do it. I would love to see you dump gobs of money and find yourself in a lot of debt over something you won't be good at that you'll make like $15/hr working at geek squad over.
    Why so angry??

Here's what you should do.

1. Go get whatever degree you fancy. Since you think that a business degree can get you in the door for an electrical engineering position, just go ahead and get started on that.

2. Fill out an application at Geek Squad.

3. Profit. It's that easy.

It won't be hard at all. Nope. Just go and do it.
    If you weren't such a reactionary putz you might have realised that I do not believe a business degree would get me in the door as an electrical engineer. I'll separate my two sentence paragraph into two paragraphs from now on so you can keep up.

Quote Originally Posted by jubei33 View Post
    I'll give you the advice I always give in this situation, but its more geared towards the chemistry end of the spectrum rather than CS.

I really think you should pick an area that you want to do or are interested in. It's going to help you in the long run. It's far better to wait a few years and find something you're interested in than just going "for the experience".

I would also suggest that while you have to fulfill certain degree requirements, I would make sure that any degree program includes a hefty dose of lab/skill oriented coursework, as opposed to only lecture courses. Ideally, you want to be able to show you have skills using say a GC or a toshiba ion trap MS or something like that. Even better if you're lucky and get a work study position in that area.

Also, you can save a **** load of money taking care of prereqs at a community college, if you're going for a specialized degree.
    Thank you for the thoughts. I was already planning to try to find a work study position for whatever field I do get into, how fucking sweet of a deal is that program!
    Start a training log!

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

Posted On:
    11/05/2012 4:56pm

Style: being less stupid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Re: "I Love College"

On another note, would say my ASVAB scores maybe be a good indicator of what I would be good at?
    Start a training log!

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.
Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 34567 89101117 ... LastLast