Posted On:
    11/05/2012 7:23am

supporting member
     Style: being less stupid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Re: "I Love College"

Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Admissions has nothing to do with programs.

There are, unless your college sucks, they are academic advisers. Normally, you are REQUIRED to see them before you enroll in any classes.
    It seems I did hear about someone like that when I took one of those "what career suits you" tests a few years back. I'll ask about this when I go back to register for classes.

Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    I am of the mindset that if you can't figure this **** out without an academic adviser than your really not ready for college.
    What is "this ****" referring to? Finding the information I'm looking for? Knowing what I want to do? Genuine question.

Is this the school in question?
    http://www1.abtech.edu/
    Yes

Cause if it is here is the part of the site that will tell you everything an academic adviser knows and more as they are often wrong about ****
    http://www1.abtech.edu/content/publications/catalog
    Download the catalog and read that **** it will tell you everything you need to know.
    Ah, cool. Will do it.

Don't expect academics to know **** about the REAL world. For that you need to find adjunct staff that are still working in the field who teach for the hell of it or a little extra spending money.
    10-4

Quote Originally Posted by Rivington View Post
    OP, if your interest is in computers, you don't even need a degree, you need expertise. Most of the computer security guys I know are college drop-outs, and they pull down six figures because they have the skills, which they developed through endless studying and and hacking and whatnot since childhood. And I'm in the California Bay Area—folks like I'm talking about compete against kids with degrees from Stanford and UC Berkeley and trash them.

Of the few that I know who do have degrees, some have them in any dumb thing, including English and philosophy. They just developed their skills on the side. Of course, plenty of pros do have CS or IT degrees from legitimate four-year colleges. If you have the skills in "computers", what you majored in isn't relevant. If you don't have the skills, it just won't happen for you. This is, I think, what goodlun is trying to express.

The skills what pay the bills is generally not something you're going to get from a community college degree and a "me hear money in computer ook ook" attitude. A cc degree is useful for getting credits out of the way on the cheap, or for straightforward vocational stuff—refrigeration, phlebotomy, etc.

You seem to be looking for whatever opportunity that might lead to you walking into some Big Office Building, saying, "Hello, I am here for my Good Job," and having the receptionist smile and respond, "Yes, right this way sir. We have a Good Job set aside for you." This is not how the economy works, and it ain't ever going to again. Even in the STEM fields, there are plenty of unemployed chemists and engineers these days—and plenty of gainfully employed ones. The main difference between them is that the unemployeds are generally the "ook ook me have degree" types, and the employed ones are rock stars. If you're just going to to wander into college to Get a Good Job, you're not going to get one. You will be doing physical labor, or service scutwork, or living off your romantic partner.
    What do you mean by "the rock stars"?

Quote Originally Posted by bigato View Post
    Read the book Shop Class as Soulcraft.
    What is this?
    Start a training log!

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    11/05/2012 7:31am

supporting member
     Style: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
    i spared them their miserable lives on the assumption this might be the case. I still feel for the money people pay for college there should be some people there that specialize in this as the heads of departments can be more than a pain to get in contact with.
    why with so many ideas, why do you even need college?

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    11/05/2012 7:38am

supporting member
     Style: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, after a recent turn of events I have decided it is time to pursue a college degree. As of right now the choices I am looking at are as follows: Computer Networking, Security Systems something or another (sounded like fighting computer hackers and such), and Computer Engineering (repair). I know VERY little about computers but I know it's a constantly advancing field and hopefully will keep my exposure to people at a bare minimum.

On to the point. Does anybody have experience in any of these fields? I'm just looking for some basic information like wages, how hard the classes might be, or anything else you might feel is good to know. I am enrolling for next semester but I am only taking core (academic) classes, so I will have around 8 months from now to decide which of these fields to actually pursue.

:genius:
    I'm a network engineer, you should stay out of this field. I hate working with dumbshits like you. The guy who thinks, "OH COMPUTERS ARE A GOOD FIELD TO DO WORK JOB IN!"

No. **** you. Stay away. You don't have the chops or mental elasticity to do this kind of work. You are the guy who fucks everything up and can't understand why using "DRIVER FINDER 2012" is fucking everything up. You're going to be the guy who forgets to install the printer driver.

You should just get a blue collar job where you don't have to have too many responsibilities and not have to do that much math.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    11/05/2012 9:15am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Sleepless View Post
    I'm a network engineer,
    I know. I thought about PMing you to ask for your advice, then my buzz wore off.

you should stay out of this field. I hate working with dumbshits like you. The guy who thinks, "OH COMPUTERS ARE A GOOD FIELD TO DO WORK JOB IN!"
    There are plenty of good fields to do work job in, I thought this one might actually be fun though seeing how much I like to learn.

No. **** you. Stay away. You don't have the chops or mental elasticity to do this kind of work. You are the guy who fucks everything up and can't understand why using "DRIVER FINDER 2012" is fucking everything up. You're going to be the guy who forgets to install the printer driver.
    Forgetting to install drivers, huh? Now you're just being simple.

You should just get a blue collar job where you don't have to have too many responsibilities and not have to do that much math.
    Dear god I think I need a hug after this chastising!
    Start a training log!

i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

Posted On:
    11/05/2012 9:28am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Honestly, I can't think of a single thing I would "love" to do outside of things I already have done like manual labor. That's one of the reasons I have decided to take Fake's advice and go back to school. That **** just breaks my body down and I'm far too young to be this old.

I look at it like this, what I like to do is make money and I have heard that especially in Computer Security there can be good money. Plus I don't see computers going anywhere lol. Can you give me some examples of fields you've seen disappear?
    The richest guys i know are contractors, why not study electricity (even electricity engineering? mucho money), some sort of building engineering/planning even being a successful plumber can make you a lot of money. If you want to make money the university isn't the place...Zuckerberg and the likes didn't really need to study computer science, they were already programmers.. Why not study business, which is very general, not hard and opens doors (basically trains you to be a manager) and than become a manager in a construction company? less labor, good money..and you like it. Or you can than open your own company...Goodlun said something very true, and it is true not just for computers, if you want to be good at it to make good money it should be a passion already.

Posted On:
    11/05/2012 9:35am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    If you want to make money you have to do one or both of two things.
    Do things that other people will not do.
    Do things that other people can not do.
    With the one caveat these things have to be something people need done.
    Or marry money..that is the easiest fastest way...

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    11/05/2012 9:42am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by erezb View Post
    Goodlun said something very true, and it is true not just for computers, if you want to be good at it to make good money it should be a passion already.
    I don't really disagree, but I'm going to offer an opposing viewpoint. Sometimes it pays to be practical and follow a proven career path even if it isn't your idea of fun. Most people think work sucks. Get over it and find a way to function despite that.

A boring, tedious career can be a pain in the ass but it isn't as stressful as not being able to provide for yourself or your family. In my case, I made prudent and logical decisions when choosing a career path. Is it exciting? **** no. Do I want to murder people at work? Sometimes. Do I have any passion for my job? Nope, but I fake it for my own benefit. It pays the bills and I have enough money left over to pursue the things in life I am passionate about. Just something else to think about.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    11/05/2012 9:45am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Quote Originally Posted by erezb View Post
    The richest guys i know are contractors, why not study electricity (even electricity engineering? mucho money), some sort of building engineering/planning even being a successful plumber can make you a lot of money. If you want to make money the university isn't the place...Zuckerberg and the likes didn't really need to study computer science, they were already programmers.. Why not study business, which is very general, not hard and opens doors (basically trains you to be a manager) and than become a manager in a construction company? less labor, good money..and you like it. Or you can than open your own company...Goodlun said something very true, and it is true not just for computers, if you want to be good at it to make good money it should be a passion already.
    Could you give me some more info or links about the electrical jobs. Would a Business degree really open up a management job for me with no prior management experience?
    Start a training log!

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    11/05/2012 9:52am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Could you give me some more info or links about the electrical jobs. Would a Business degree really open up a management job for me with no prior management experience?
    You've got to work your way up bro. A college degree will help you get your foot in the door if you're lucky. You're expecting too much from college.

I'm thinking maybe something in the sanitation field would suit you.
Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1234 567814 ... LastLast