Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 123 456713 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/04/2012 10:17pm

Style: BJJ, MMA, JJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
    . Accounting and Finance sound like they would be the same thing to me.
    The terms are often used erroneously to refer to the same thing. However, in practice (and coursework) they are quite different, though there is some overlap.

Accounting is the professional study of business. It incorporates a heavy emphasis on compliance (tax, corporate registry etc.), for which it is best known, but also transverses management, forecasting, structuring, reporting, auditing etc. It is based heavily on legislation and precedent (corporate law, tax law, associated standards and regulations, trade practices etc.).

Finance, predominantly, relates to sources and uses of money (or capital). It is based much more on economics (particularly market economics) and has a heavy focus on "products". Capital raising, debt funding (long term, short term, secured etc.), hedging and investing (mergers, acquisitions, bonds, commercial paper etc.).
    Dum spiro, spero.
    Tada gan iarracht.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    11/04/2012 10:29pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I didn't realise I came off as the artsy, liberal type. I'm a little disgusted with myself right now.

And here is a huge problem. I don't know if it's just this school or what, but I can't get any real information about what one would get out of particular degrees. Accounting and Finance sound like they would be the same thing to me. I think colleges should have someone that can explain this **** to you. I spoke with one of the admissions counselors and she could hardly tell me anything about what programs even existed in the field I was wanting (computers). The last one I spoke with didn't even know about the Computer Engineering program.
    The **** kind of college are you dealing with that can't give you useful information about different degree programs? Try a different school, maybe?

"Computers" is not a field.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    11/04/2012 10:38pm

supporting member
     Style: being less stupid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Re: "I Love College"

Quote Originally Posted by cualltaigh View Post
    The terms are often used erroneously to refer to the same thing. However, in practice (and coursework) they are quite different, though there is some overlap.

Accounting is the professional study of business. It incorporates a heavy emphasis on compliance (tax, corporate registry etc.), for which it is best known, but also transverses management, forecasting, structuring, reporting, auditing etc. It is based heavily on legislation and precedent (corporate law, tax law, associated standards and regulations, trade practices etc.).

Finance, predominantly, relates to sources and uses of money (or capital). It is based much more on economics (particularly market economics) and has a heavy focus on "products". Capital raising, debt funding (long term, short term, secured etc.), hedging and investing (mergers, acquisitions, bonds, commercial paper etc.).
    That accounting doesn't sound like a bad way to go. Maybe I could be a CPA, I hear they make good money.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    The **** kind of college are you dealing with that can't give you useful information about different degree programs? Try a different school, maybe?

"Computers" is not a field.
    AB Tech. There's only two schools in driving distance and one is a university which I most certainly could not afford.
    Start a training log!

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    11/04/2012 10:43pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That accounting doesn't sound like a bad way to go. Maybe I could be a CPA, I hear they make good money.
    Plan for more than a bachelor's if you want to be a CPA. Not sure what state you're in but most require additional course work on top of your bachelor's degree and experience requirements before you can be licensed. And a tough as **** exam.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    11/04/2012 10:55pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

It's at least worth looking into I suppose. I have a strong feeling will be spending much of my time emailing the head of departments pestering them with a barrage of questions the admissions counselors don't know the answer to. Here's to hoping they respond!
    Start a training log!

i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/04/2012 10:58pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You asked these questions of admissions counselors? There are too many degrees, certificates and graduate programs for the "admission counselors" to know anything specific.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    11/04/2012 11:09pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    You asked these questions of admissions counselors? There are too many degrees, certificates and graduate programs for the "admission counselors" to know anything specific.
    I spared them their miserable lives on the assumption this might be the case. I still feel for the money people pay for college there should be some people there that specialize in this as the heads of departments can be more than a pain to get in contact with.
    Start a training log!

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/04/2012 11:19pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I spared them their miserable lives on the assumption this might be the case.
    Admissions has nothing to do with programs.

I still feel for the money people pay for college there should be some people there that specialize
    There are, unless your college sucks, they are academic advisers. Normally, you are REQUIRED to see them before you enroll in any classes.

Posted On:
    11/05/2012 12:58am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am of the mindset that if you can't figure this **** out without an academic adviser than your really not ready for college.

Is this the school in question?
    http://www1.abtech.edu/

Cause if it is here is the part of the site that will tell you everything an academic adviser knows and more as they are often wrong about ****
    http://www1.abtech.edu/content/publications/catalog
    Download the catalog and read that **** it will tell you everything you need to know.

Don't expect academics to know **** about the REAL world. For that you need to find adjunct staff that are still working in the field who teach for the hell of it or a little extra spending money.

Posted On:
    11/05/2012 2:41am

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OP, if your interest is in computers, you don't even need a degree, you need expertise. Most of the computer security guys I know are college drop-outs, and they pull down six figures because they have the skills, which they developed through endless studying and and hacking and whatnot since childhood. And I'm in the California Bay Area—folks like I'm talking about compete against kids with degrees from Stanford and UC Berkeley and trash them.

Of the few that I know who do have degrees, some have them in any dumb thing, including English and philosophy. They just developed their skills on the side. Of course, plenty of pros do have CS or IT degrees from legitimate four-year colleges. If you have the skills in "computers", what you majored in isn't relevant. If you don't have the skills, it just won't happen for you. This is, I think, what goodlun is trying to express.

The skills what pay the bills is generally not something you're going to get from a community college degree and a "me hear money in computer ook ook" attitude. A cc degree is useful for getting credits out of the way on the cheap, or for straightforward vocational stuff—refrigeration, phlebotomy, etc.

You seem to be looking for whatever opportunity that might lead to you walking into some Big Office Building, saying, "Hello, I am here for my Good Job," and having the receptionist smile and respond, "Yes, right this way sir. We have a Good Job set aside for you." This is not how the economy works, and it ain't ever going to again. Even in the STEM fields, there are plenty of unemployed chemists and engineers these days—and plenty of gainfully employed ones. The main difference between them is that the unemployeds are generally the "ook ook me have degree" types, and the employed ones are rock stars. If you're just going to to wander into college to Get a Good Job, you're not going to get one. You will be doing physical labor, or service scutwork, or living off your romantic partner.
Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 123 456713 ... LastLast