11/06/2012 4:34pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivington View Post
    Okay, stop speaking now.
    Context my friend context,
    When your working at a large corporation such as say QUALCOMM, if your on the trajectory to get a management position the degree does help. Getting a degree at a traditional university while working 40-60 hours a week sucks.

Posted On:
    11/06/2012 4:41pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Best trick for transfer credits is to attend the state university (in the same state!) after the community college—transfers go much more smoothly that way.

Posted On:
    11/06/2012 4:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    Context my friend context,
    When your working at a large corporation such as say QUALCOMM, if your on the trajectory to get a management position the degree does help. Getting a degree at a traditional university while working 40-60 hours a week sucks.
    There are plenty of legit evening MBAs and that sort of thing run by real third-tier schools. (Babson in MA immediately comes to mind, or UC Davis out here, or Northwestern/Kellogg in IL.)

The for-profits—especially the online for profits—are a nightmare of abject stupidity, and most HR folks have slowly but surely begun to realize this.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    11/06/2012 4:52pm

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Crap my "do networking" posts were supposed to be in here, not in the gong sau thread...

College educated....and I can't even post in the right place.

Don't put me in charge of anything important.

Posted On:
    11/06/2012 5:05pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivington View Post
    There are plenty of legit evening MBAs and that sort of thing run by real third-tier schools. (Babson in MA immediately comes to mind, or UC Davis out here, or Northwestern/Kellogg in IL.)

The for-profits—especially the online for profits—are a nightmare of abject stupidity, and most HR folks have slowly but surely begun to realize this.
    I will be honest its been about 7 years since I have been in the fortune 500 world. So my experiences can also be really dated. Also I was at tech companies mostly and they do tend to run a little differently.

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    11/06/2012 5:08pm

supporting member
     Style: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    Crap my "do networking" posts were supposed to be in here, not in the gong sau thread...

College educated....and I can't even post in the right place.

Don't put me in charge of anything important.
    I read your replies and in order to keep some kind of continuity, I'll just reply here.

Basically guidance counselors are the saddest people on the planet. They are the ones who usher people to their mediocre lives. That takes a toll on you.

Anyway, I don't remember exactly what I was trying to get at. Also, I can't see what any of that **** on your diagram you showed me says.

I don't really have a point other than itwasntme shouldn't come over to my field.

Posted On:
    11/06/2012 5:10pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Sleepless View Post
    Basically guidance counselors are the saddest people on the planet. They are the ones who usher people to their mediocre lives. That takes a toll on you.
    Close but the career services people are a tad bit worse.
    Your suppose to trust a guy who's best effort was to get a job in career services on what to do with your resume and the jobs you should be looking at?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/06/2012 5:20pm

Style: lifting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your suppose to trust a guy who's best effort was to get a job in career services on what to do with your resume and the jobs you should be looking at?
    Yeah I did pretty well at taking advantage of their information and their resources but I didn't listen to any of the advice they gave me personally. Collect business cards and references etc. from them, objective stuff.

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    11/06/2012 5:50pm

supporting member
     Style: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can you imagine seeing thousands and thousands of people every year and telling them that they're going to go places and then seeing them working for minimum wage at McDonald's?

Posted On:
    11/06/2012 10:43pm

Style: Boxing, Solar Ray Attack

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Sleepless View Post
    Can you imagine seeing thousands and thousands of people every year and telling them that they're going to go places and then seeing them working for minimum wage at McDonald's?
    See, here's how I see it: we have a real issue with degrees actually delivering the skills that business actually wants. From my own experience, I remember taking classes like sociology and historical survey, some of which I went infrequently and still pulled a good grade. This is not in connection with the grade inflation argument, but rather the premise that some of these are presumably make a better, more well rounded degree. I have yet to reap the rewards of this in any interview or position I've taken on and no one has asked me my opinion of the reasons of the fall of Rome. Retrospectively, I would've rather had spent that money on an additional chemistry class or another lab course in trade for the saem credit.

What our workers really need and what universities have to consider (or lose relevancy with the birth of online accreditation) is a re-imagination of degree programs. It's not that degree programs aren't useful, its that they're not focused. A lot of degrees require upwards of a year or two of non-specific mostly useless GEC coursework. They should tailor programs towards the entry level positions people are seeking and business demands, with the option of receiving progressive and more advanced education up through the advanced degrees on an as needed basis.

You need to get more skills in PCR and proteomics? Ok, we offer a one year battery of courses the give you a certificate and are compatible with a cumulative degree program of "biochemical lab technology" (you're only 75 credit hours and a dissertation away from a masters). This benefits not only the job market and students, but also the universities as it broadens the base of those seeking education and opens the door to life long education.
    http://woodwardswhiskey.wordpress.com/

He was punching him like the collective karmic debt he'd accrued was coming to collections, mostly on his face.
Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 71314151617 18192021 ... LastLast