218272 Bullies, 7515 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 1,951 to 1,960 of 3049
Page 196 of 305 FirstFirst ... 96146186192193194195196 197198199200206246296 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Knock-off Cthulhu

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class1 year registered5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    11/29/2012 3:11am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Phillips View Post
    I have had my share of getting sneered at on video.
    That is unfortunate. (If you're referring to the 2010 TD videos I haven't watched them after releasing them so I have no clue really)
    Curiosity killed the cat. But damn it had a blast.

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Achievements:
    Three FriendsYour first GroupRecommendation First ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    11/29/2012 3:22am

supporting member
     Style: Novice Sub Grappler

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hpr View Post
    That is unfortunate. (If you're referring to the 2010 TD videos I haven't watched them after releasing them so I have no clue really)
    No, I mean after the 2011 GS. I worked very hard and got beat quickly; a lot of people to pleasure in saying I didn't train for it at all. That was hard to take because I put a lot into it, and it was all over so quickly, and I really showed very little.

I suppose I should have insisted on no video :P but I think I needed to hear all of that mocking. it motivated me to get better and train smarter.
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class1000 Experience Points3 months registered

Posted On:
    11/29/2012 3:32am

Style: BJJ, MMA, JJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While I was using the story I know best, ie. myself as an inspiration for Kerpo, Kerpo isn't me. And I hear what you're saying, but it doesn't change the point I was making.

I also realize I might have just gotten a bit butthurt over a pretty silly thing last night prompting me to write that. It was meant as a reminder to consider these things before you (meant in the general sense, stupid English language) start spouting **** about others.

EDIT: That and I like to write stories.
    Lest you write-off my response merely as heaping **** on something I don't understand allow me to qualify my remarks.

After many years off of all sport due to injuries sustained in rugby, I rediscovered martial arts in my late 20's (am now in my early 30's) despite having completed nearly ten years of study I am on the verge of embarking on further postgraduate studies to maintain my professional qualifications. Also, due to circumstances I'm not prepared to go into on the Internet, in order to earn enough for my wife and kids to be where they need to be right now, I commute four hours every day (not just training days). That is if everything goes right, unlike today which will see 5.5 hrs of commuting fun.

Despite this I manage to train 2-3 times a week (mainly), and my coach understands and appreciates when I simply can't get there.

I also don't allow myself to fall into the trap of thinking that I deserve special treatment/exemption for any of that. Especially when there are so many around me who are doing it tougher than me. I want to set an example for my two kids that it's not ok to give up on something you love just because it's hard.

So when I comment critically on Kerpo it is not from a position of ignorance but simply applying the same standard that I already apply to myself.
    Dum spiro, spero.
    Tada gan iarracht.

Knock-off Cthulhu

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class1 year registered5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    11/29/2012 3:44am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cualltaigh View Post
    Lest you write-off my response merely as heaping **** on something I don't understand allow me to qualify my remarks.

After many years off of all sport due to injuries sustained in rugby, I rediscovered martial arts in my late 20's (am now in my early 30's) despite having completed nearly ten years of study I am on the verge of embarking on further postgraduate studies to maintain my professional qualifications. Also, due to circumstances I'm not prepared to go into on the Internet, in order to earn enough for my wife and kids to be where they need to be right now, I commute four hours every day (not just training days). That is if everything goes right, unlike today which will see 5.5 hrs of commuting fun.

Despite this I manage to train 2-3 times a week (mainly), and my coach understands and appreciates when I simply can't get there.

I also don't allow myself to fall into the trap of thinking that I deserve special treatment/exemption for any of that. Especially when there are so many around me who are doing it tougher than me. I want to set an example for my two kids that it's not ok to give up on something you love just because it's hard.

So when I comment critically on Kerpo it is not from a position of ignorance but simply applying the same standard that I already apply to myself.
    I never meant Kerpo to be the perfectly motivated hobbyist. You deserve all the props in the world for being able to train consistently under your circumstances.
    Curiosity killed the cat. But damn it had a blast.

Achievements:
    Three FriendsYour first GroupRecommendation First ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    11/29/2012 3:48am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    cualltaigh,

As I have said, I don't think there really are any good excuses at all. I still empathize with Timmo and respect the fact that he continues to get training in regardless. I don't think single parenting was an excuse to lose literally years of training in my 30's, but I would ask you to imaging your life, very similar to mine at the time, without the help of your wife or any member of either family. I hope you can at least respect that I tried to train at all under those conditions. As I respect Timmo for trying under his.

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registered25000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    11/29/2012 4:33am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sambosteve, after reading your post about the cultural shift on here, one question came up with me: Is this a situation that can be changed by reform, or do you think the mojo is gone forgood?

On a more general note:
    I've always seen this site as a great way for resources and even networking, I've always been interested in meeting up whenever possible and learn from what guys like Omega,Sambosteve and esp Aesopian had to say.
    Several of you know I'm (if im able and dont think you're too much of a cock) always willing to meet up and even provide a roof over your head (eventhough that happened only once).

On this site ive dealt out and ive received 'harsh comments', and im fine with that, in fact I prefer it.
    Why?
    Cos im used to it.
    When I was training getting ready for an amateurfight for example, the guys who trained me werent exactly holding my hand, if I got lazy or lost heart they'd put a firm boot up my ass, thats how you train, right?
    Sometimes a pat on the shoulder but more often then not: FINNISH THE GODDAMN SET OF PUSHUPS YOU FUCKING WEAKLING! GO ONNNNN DO IT...YEAH GOOD JOB!

Thats how you devellop character and resolve.

What I noticed in this thread were the butthurt avoiding behaviour of both Hiro and TS, it just didnt add up, and to me it shows poor mentality.
    I really don't care whatever fucking excuse they bring up, amateur, just hobby, my grandma turned out to be lesbian, its not relevant.

Look at my situation as a member: I used to be somewhat relevant in martial arts, but since years im nothing more but a cripple who has some good days every now and then, doing yoga and powerexcercises to keep my back up and running.
    You've seen me in the video and it was less than pretty.
    And here's whats up: when anyone says I looked bad/poor/wjhatever I FUCKING AGREE with them, because based on that footage I did and at the time it really was all I could do.

I'm not bothered with these criticisms because they are correct, I do suspect that the people who've met me know I actually know what im talking about, I just can't physically execute it anymore, BUT to the people who didnt meet me I actually encourage em to NOT take my word for it.
    Stay critical, dont let this site turn into a circlejerk where everyone gets a free pass cos injury/hobbyism/whatever.

In my little discourse with TS I saw all the red flags: 'ask Zendo, I dont feel like telling you what I train or for how long, I already told you, just read back, omg shut up you're bitching, ive had enough you guys are stupid im done with this.'

Hiro was even worse: left the conversation yet felt like he needed to keep reading the thread, owned up to nothing, incredibly weak move and very telling of the lack of character.

Thats what really bothers me most.

Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class1000 Experience Points3 months registered

Posted On:
    11/29/2012 4:47am

Style: BJJ, MMA, JJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I never meant Kerpo to be the perfectly motivated hobbyist. You deserve all the props in the world for being able to train consistently under your circumstances.
    Well thankyou but I don't feel I deserve props. It comes at a cost and I appreciate that others would justifiably and reasonably choose a different course in the same situation. It was not the choice but the reasoning I found whiny from our hypothetical friend. But also just wanted to emphasis that critical/contrary opinions aren't always ignorant ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Phillips View Post
    cualltaigh,

As I have said, I don't think there really are any good excuses at all. I still empathize with Timmo and respect the fact that he continues to get training in regardless. I don't think single parenting was an excuse to lose literally years of training in my 30's, but I would ask you to imaging your life, very similar to mine at the time, without the help of your wife or any member of either family. I hope you can at least respect that I tried to train at all under those conditions. As I respect Timmo for trying under his.
    Of course I can respect that, and it is not my intention to cast judgement. There are lots of valid reasons why people can't train or choose not to and that's ok. I had no issue with Jorma and his situation (as you say, I can empathise with it), it was the proffering of the it's all too hard excuse that got me going I suppose.

Also, as I said earlier, training isn't the only way to be involved in martial arts if it is truly a passion. I think you've found an excellent way of incorporating that into your circumstance via sharing that passion with KK.
    Dum spiro, spero.
    Tada gan iarracht.

Achievements:

Posted On:
    11/29/2012 5:08am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cualltaigh View Post
    training isn't the only way to be involved in martial arts if it is truly a passion. I think you've found an excellent way of incorporating that into your circumstance via sharing that passion with KK.
    The same fee that had me training if I could get a few hours without a little boy in tow could be paid for the boy to train all the time with me encouraging him from the sidelines. At the end of the day, his development was more important than my hobby. And he got to train with Mark DellaGrotte and Kenny Florian before TUF 1 went on the air. He got a great head start, and I was able to use my knowledge of people and gyms to get him exposed to the best stuff from age 8 up. He's getting ready to start taking adult ammy fights and he's very well prepared for someone his age.

Thanks!

On hiatus

Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First Class1 year registered10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    11/29/2012 5:29am

supporting member
     Style: Getting fat.

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, just one post. JUST ONE THEN I STOP I PROMISE!!

@Lebell: I'll use basketball as an analogy.

Omo+Matt: "We shooting hoops. You down with that?"
    TS: "Get me on the court and I'm trouble. Last week fucked around and got a triple double"

I was shutting down their game so sweet. Took a breather, but when I came back I saw Matt was holding a volleyball, and was constantly getting aced by Rivington!

So I tried pulling a Gilmore when this annoying kid named Lebell runs up the court and Hack-a-Shaqs my ass. That loudmouth can't play ball to save his life. But didn't even matter, he just curled around the tennisball and kept screaming.

So I left the court and got back to work, and he's still there doing his victory dance.
    Last edited by Tranquil Suit; 11/29/2012 5:36am at .

(tab) Forum > Forum Actions > General Settings > in Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40

Achievements:

Posted On:
    11/29/2012 5:35am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You fucktard, everyone knows Jews can't play basketball.