223530 Bullies, 3935 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 1,811 to 1,820 of 2987
Page 182 of 299 FirstFirst ... 82132172178179180181182 183184185186192232282 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    11/28/2012 12:13pm

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
    So who does the inverse of this apply to, apart from Hiro? We're all engaged in profound soul searching now because one guy isn't as good as he said he was?
    When this subject first came up I said that you and hpr looked on point.
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    11/28/2012 12:24pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Phillips View Post
    When this subject first came up I said that you and hpr looked on point.
    I'm not looking for your approval. Actually I think by your own criteria you're under-qualified to comment concerning grappling?

I'm asking why Hiro being a horrible striker marks a sad decline in the general level.

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/28/2012 12:32pm

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sambosteve View Post
    I am sick of this "hobbyist" bullshit excuse. Like it is an excuse to suck.

Having a hobby does not equal sucking at said activity. In fact, most people I know with "hobbies" love the activity so much that they make the time to be good at whatever their fucking hobby is.

Let's just change Bullshido's name to:
    Attachment 14080
    I'm a hobbyist. I know my limitations due to injuries, age, and the time I started training. Omega has teased me I should be a Black belt by now, but my priorities don't revolve around training. I think those that make it deserve all the respect. On the other hand, those who suck but keep coming back because it's a hobby and better than sitting on the couch watching TV are also deserving of praise. If I were a school owner and trainer, the last group of people I'd be giving **** too are hobbyists. They pay the bills.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    11/28/2012 12:36pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
    What's different now than back in the day?
    I want to answer this seriously. But, not on my phone. Give me some time.
    One of the best Bullshido investigations ever written: http://www.bullshido.org/David_Kujawski_Investigation

"disgruntled ex student who couldn't hack training with Dave and his material and opted out (could be called pussied out) of training to go to Sambo" - Mor Sao

Posted On:
    11/28/2012 12:37pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
    I'm not looking for your approval. Actually I think by your own criteria you're under-qualified to comment concerning grappling?
    You're right!

I'm asking why Hiro being a horrible striker marks a sad decline in the general level.
    The sad decline is not in the general level (although it prolly has started), it's in the attitude towards BS. Clown shows up at TD, acts the clown and shows Teh Suckage; response: MEH :/ people who offer the critique on line are being "mean", people reviewing vids for TD fist tags see the suckage and shrug... need I go on. This isn't about technique, it's about do we still call BS on BS, or not.

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/28/2012 12:42pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by erezb View Post
    On the one hand you say it is not your place to comment on who and what, on the other you hand you say what this site is all about (as well you should you support the site). For me it is simple, you know how under your name BS is constantly presenting its motto, saying stuff like "I find your lack of sparring disturbing" "eat stake lift weight" "we give the internet a black eye" ect. it is plain and simple cut and dry. I gave an example of a cat forum (i joined one lately after purchasing a cat) how would you feel if the mods and veterans on the site didn't even own cats??? it would look totally fucking Bull ****, incidentally the name of this site. Now, i would not make a big deal of it by posting if the fucking mods wouldn't have made such a fucking big deal over your stile field and how much you train and all in the first place. I always assumed that someone like me a hobbyist at best with 11 years of boxing and kickboxing a year of judo and 4 years of KravMaga that trains in boxing 3 times a week, spar, lift weights, jump rope punch bags etc. is the average, the norm for the noobs!!!! So when a cocky (am not talking about TS specifically) Mod talks i assume he is either making a living from MA like Omega or at least a serious pro in his field even if it is some traditional stile, otherwise why da **** is he such a fucking prominent player here? I was very shocked to place faces and ability with names of some of the people here. Some justified their cockiness and some made me grimace.
    I am not saying that automatically if you are a fighter or a very skilled MAtist you should be treated differently here, because lets face it most actual successful fighters (are not here) are stupid shallow uneducated people. BUT if you do hand out positions here and if people talk a big talk (and a lot do) i would at least expect them to be much better than I, a hobbyist (no TS a few months of MT does not make you one...after a few years you can say this is a life long hobby).
    Being a moderator, or admin for that matter has no bearing on fighting skill. Those that do, are tagged with it. Moderating, moving posts, closing threads, that doesn't take any type of martial art skill. Any type of posturing can be challenged, and in cases in the past, and this thread, an lead up to 200+ posts threads on actually nothing. I talk from experience. If two people want to fight so badly on BS, it takes two posts. Challenge and acceptance.
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Posted On:
    11/28/2012 12:44pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandinha View Post
    I'm a hobbyist. I know my limitations due to injuries, age, and the time I started training. Omega has teased me I should be a Black belt by now, but my priorities don't revolve around training. I think those that make it deserve all the respect. On the other hand, those who suck but keep coming back because it's a hobby and better than sitting on the couch watching TV are also deserving of praise. If I were a school owner and trainer, the last group of people I'd be giving **** too are hobbyists. They pay the bills.
    You took this **** seriously enough to put your ass in the cage to prove a point. That's the difference. You took this **** seriously enough to dig into your pocket to host this ****, and then got on the mat and got hit hard. Your interest in keeping it real off line is clear.

In the brave new world, putting up bills to host a Mega is enough, and no one blinks if you don't get on the mat at all. That's the difference.

And yes I realize the cage was a ring and that you fell out :)

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    11/28/2012 12:46pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    True. But, people throw the word around as if it excuses suckitude. Look, most olympians in this country are "hobbyists". They have day jobs, real lives. I was a "hobbyist" before I made this my career. Most aspiring fighters are "hobbyists" until they are able to live off fighting...if ever.

The point is that there is nothing wrong with being a hobbyist who is able to move on to bigger things, or a hobbyist who keeps it as a side pursuit. But, to use the term as it is being used here, as an excuse for mediocrity, is total BS. Mediocrity is not due to the fact that martial arts is a hobby.

****, my entire competative career was while I was a "hobbyist". So people need to stop using the fact that this is their hobby as an exuse for shitty training and vaginitis
    One of the best Bullshido investigations ever written: http://www.bullshido.org/David_Kujawski_Investigation

"disgruntled ex student who couldn't hack training with Dave and his material and opted out (could be called pussied out) of training to go to Sambo" - Mor Sao

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/28/2012 12:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Phillips View Post
    You're right!

The sad decline is not in the general level (although it prolly has started), it's in the attitude towards BS. Clown shows up at TD, acts the clown and shows Teh Suckage; response: MEH :/ people who offer the critique on line are being "mean", people reviewing vids for TD fist tags see the suckage and shrug... need I go on. This isn't about technique, it's about do we still call BS on BS, or not.

Didn't you fight Josh? Just curious, have you gotten better? Was watching yourself getting tapped out make you up your training? I'm wondering if you are different from any of those you are currently berating for sucking on a TD video.

Posted On:
    11/28/2012 12:49pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Being a moderator, or admin for that matter has no bearing on fighting skill. Those that do, are tagged with it. Moderating, moving posts, closing threads, that doesn't take any type of martial art skill. Any type of posturing can be challenged, and in cases in the past, and this thread, an lead up to 200+ posts threads on actually nothing. I talk from experience. If two people want to fight so badly on BS, it takes two posts. Challenge and acceptance.
    That's the way you see it, but it's not explained anywhere on the site or even implied, and erezb is making that point. New posters come in and expect the established people and staff to be walking the walk. As he said, its normal that people moderating a cat forum own cats.