Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/04/2012 2:50pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Psychology behind a Striker vs a Grappler ?

This has been on my mind for a while now.

I've trained in various martial arts that involve/focus on grappling, striking or a mix of both.

I first started out in the martial arts world with Shotokan Karate and stuck with it for 5-6 years. During those years I've "cross trained" in two other forms, such as Boxing and Systema. Then later on (years later) moved on to BJJ.

Now as many people know (or don't) , Shotokan Karate hardly involves ground work. There are grappling techniques / locks, but those are primarily done standing up. Whatever ground work that's involved with Shotokan is usually just a strike (or multiple) after a throw (take-down). *From what I can remember, its been quite some time*

Anyways, what I realized during my years of training, is that I enjoyed the "Striking" arts more so than the "Ground/grappling" arts.

I don't exactly understand why, and this is what kinda bothers me.

What I would like to achieve is to be a well rounded/versed fighter, in striking and grappling. Although , every time I try and involve myself in a grappling art, I quickly lose interest after a month or so and gradually begin to fade away from the art. Which is unfortunate.

I've been in some crazy fights in my life especially in the later years trying to get my black belt in Shotokan. I've gotten the whole left side of my body mangled practically (due to my stance and situational circumstance), I've had my left ankle completely dislocated (it was literally out of the socket sideways , an odd sight), yes I was screaming my ass off as my master at the time tried to put it back into place.... I've also had my left arm completely dislocated as well at the shoulder joint area, lovely stuff and my right hand broken which now has a metal plate and two screws in it, permanently.

All this to say, im not afraid to get "down and dirty" when the time calls for it.

But for some reason, I just can't wrap my head around "ground work", sure it's intense as hell and a completely different feeling fighting an opponent on your back while laying on the ground.

I enjoy getting up close and personal with striking work, I'm not shy, scared or embarrassed, though for some reason, again, laying on my back and viewing reality from that point of view and having to fight is just "odd" for me.

Though I will admit that when I first tried Bjj, it was a little intimidating. Mainly because I was out of the loop with martial arts and training for a couple of years. AND, I guess it's a whole different approach between a "traditional" martial art like Karate.

With BJJ , you start of with an opponent on you trying to "strangle you, tap you out" right off the bat. Were as Karate, your gradually introduced into sparring (Shotokan at least).

Still, I would think that after all those years and intense "battles!" :tongue:, I would be comfortable with a grappling art like BJJ, but I'm not fully "interested" in it....

Hmmm...

Systema was another martial art that I dabbled in for a year or so. It was definitely more "diverse" than BJJ. But in terms of "intensity" , it might have been the same... or lower/slower. I did enjoy it at first, but began to realize that a lot of what I was being taught was/felt "choreographed" . As in, everything you did was expected by the opponent. (slightly hard to explain).

Anyways, to wrap this up, what do you guys think, are there people that are naturally "suited" / enjoy the "Striking arts" more than "grappling/ground" work ? Or is it all just a "mind game" ? (As in, its all the same just different perspectives) ?

I'm just trying to get a better understanding of it all.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/04/2012 3:12pm

supporting member
     Style: bjj

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you realize that fighting on the ground is not always about you laying on your back? If you are better in the fight it may be the opposite. It seems to me, judging by your choice of words, that in your case it's just a matter of getting used to it. Force yourself to do at least six months. Or just do judo, where you will practice from standing position and spend less time on the ground. Let the bjj be the art you practice after a couple years of judo.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    11/04/2012 3:37pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Traumeel View Post
    This has been on my mind for a while now.

I've trained in various martial arts that involve/focus on grappling, striking or a mix of both.

I first started out in the martial arts world with Shotokan Karate and stuck with it for 5-6 years. During those years I've "cross trained" in two other forms, such as Boxing and Systema. Then later on (years later) moved on to BJJ.

Now as many people know (or don't) , Shotokan Karate hardly involves ground work. There are grappling techniques / locks, but those are primarily done standing up. Whatever ground work that's involved with Shotokan is usually just a strike (or multiple) after a throw (take-down). *From what I can remember, its been quite some time*

Anyways, what I realized during my years of training, is that I enjoyed the "Striking" arts more so than the "Ground/grappling" arts.

I don't exactly understand why, and this is what kinda bothers me.

What I would like to achieve is to be a well rounded/versed fighter, in striking and grappling. Although , every time I try and involve myself in a grappling art, I quickly lose interest after a month or so and gradually begin to fade away from the art. Which is unfortunate.

I've been in some crazy fights in my life especially in the later years trying to get my black belt in Shotokan. I've gotten the whole left side of my body mangled practically (due to my stance and situational circumstance), I've had my left ankle completely dislocated (it was literally out of the socket sideways , an odd sight), yes I was screaming my ass off as my master at the time tried to put it back into place.... I've also had my left arm completely dislocated as well at the shoulder joint area, lovely stuff and my right hand broken which now has a metal plate and two screws in it, permanently.

All this to say, im not afraid to get "down and dirty" when the time calls for it.

But for some reason, I just can't wrap my head around "ground work", sure it's intense as hell and a completely different feeling fighting an opponent on your back while laying on the ground.

I enjoy getting up close and personal with striking work, I'm not shy, scared or embarrassed, though for some reason, again, laying on my back and viewing reality from that point of view and having to fight is just "odd" for me.

Though I will admit that when I first tried Bjj, it was a little intimidating. Mainly because I was out of the loop with martial arts and training for a couple of years. AND, I guess it's a whole different approach between a "traditional" martial art like Karate.

With BJJ , you start of with an opponent on you trying to "strangle you, tap you out" right off the bat. Were as Karate, your gradually introduced into sparring (Shotokan at least).

Still, I would think that after all those years and intense "battles!" :tongue:, I would be comfortable with a grappling art like BJJ, but I'm not fully "interested" in it....

Hmmm...

Systema was another martial art that I dabbled in for a year or so. It was definitely more "diverse" than BJJ. But in terms of "intensity" , it might have been the same... or lower/slower. I did enjoy it at first, but began to realize that a lot of what I was being taught was/felt "choreographed" . As in, everything you did was expected by the opponent. (slightly hard to explain).

Anyways, to wrap this up, what do you guys think, are there people that are naturally "suited" / enjoy the "Striking arts" more than "grappling/ground" work ? Or is it all just a "mind game" ? (As in, its all the same just different perspectives) ?

I'm just trying to get a better understanding of it all.
    If you are not used to ground grappling, it may take a while. Stick with it. You might try Judo, which has ground grappling but also trains throwing and transitions to the ground, with less (usually) emphasis on pure ground grappling (as in BJJ).

As for mindset, I don't really know. I've studied striking a little, and it felt odd at first, but I got used to it and really enjoyed it (after at the time 15 years of Judo only).
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    11/04/2012 3:40pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I suppose the biggest reason I enjoy grappling more than striking
    - I can spar close darn close to 100% without hurting the other person.

Posted On:
    11/04/2012 4:09pm

Join us... or die

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    I suppose the biggest reason I enjoy grappling more than striking
    - I can spar close darn close to 100% without hurting the other person.
    I always found getting punched in the face painful and disconcerting, even with boxing gloves.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/04/2012 4:28pm

Style: Hokutoryu Ju-jutsu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, people are different. Some like to do striking, others like to do grappling. Some like to do both and some don't really like to do either. Seems pretty simple to me.

Posted On:
    11/04/2012 4:31pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    I always found getting punched in the face painful and disconcerting, even with boxing gloves.
    Yeah I am pretty much over that aspect as well.
    Being hit with a good old clean ippon worthy throw and missing the break fall isn't exactly pleasant either.
    Neither is having ones joints hyper extended or a nice deep choke.

Why the hell do we do this stuff at all again?

Posted On:
    11/04/2012 4:37pm

Style: BJJ, MMA, JJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I equate acclimatising to grappling with learning to SCUBA dive. Most people, at first, struggle against the ocean when diving. Being land based we are accustomed to being in complete control of the way we move around our environment, utilising a head up feet down posture exclusively.

So, when placed in an environment which is constantly swaying back and forth (not to mention any currents etc.) most people thrash around trying to maintain their postural integrity and spatial positioning. This, of course, further destabilises them, feeding the loop and before long they've chewed through their air supply without, surprisingly, having achieved much against the millions of tonnes of water against which they're struggling.

It is only by yielding to the ocean, relaxing into its gentle rhythm and learning when to exert yourself to minimise your output/oxygen burn that the world down there starts to open up for you.
    Dum spiro, spero.
    Tada gan iarracht.

Posted On:
    11/04/2012 4:41pm

Join us... or die

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    Yeah I am pretty much over that aspect as well.
    Being hit with a good old clean ippon worthy throw and missing the break fall isn't exactly pleasant either.
    Neither is having ones joints hyper extended or a nice deep choke.

Why the hell do we do this stuff at all again?
    Miss a break fall?

For armbars I just tap out early, for chokes, who cares, it's very relaxing to pass out.

I do it because I like it.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    11/04/2012 5:03pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ+Sanda

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cualltaigh View Post
    I equate acclimatising to grappling with learning to SCUBA dive...
    ...when you do it wrong, you can't breathe.
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast