Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Way to miss the point
    oh and happy New Year.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/01/2013 1:33am

Style: BJJ, Libre, Street Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So you are saying that Ryan Hall only trained for his MMA fight by only training only in Sport Jiu-Jitsu. I doubt it very much. I don't care if a person is a world champion in Jiu-Jitsu if he does not train for real fighting and only trains for sport will one day get hurt in a real fight. There is a misconception that everyone that walks around on the streets has no fighting skills. All it takes is one good strike to the chin and the fight could be over real quick.

Tsun-Derrorist

Posted On:
    1/01/2013 7:33am

supporting member
     Style: ^_^

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Considering he was competing in a sport, then yes, he was training sport jiujitsu.

"The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    1/01/2013 9:09am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Way to miss the point
    oh and happy New Year.
    Not really, we are talking self defense and modern BJJ. Ryan's Jiu Jitsu competition game is inverted guard and 50/50 yet he handled himself very professionally and capable in a real encounter. That is point.

Happy New Year Omega.

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    1/01/2013 9:20am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Python View Post
    So you are saying that Ryan Hall only trained for his MMA fight by only training only in Sport Jiu-Jitsu. I doubt it very much. I don't care if a person is a world champion in Jiu-Jitsu if he does not train for real fighting and only trains for sport will one day get hurt in a real fight. There is a misconception that everyone that walks around on the streets has no fighting skills. All it takes is one good strike to the chin and the fight could be over real quick.
    He didn't start full time MMA training till 6 months after that video. Of course he trained MMA for his MMA fight, at Tristar no less. What I am saying,with evidence, that while a Boxer needs no additionally skillset past his sport background to defend himself in a violent encounter a BJJer could defend himself as well. A well rounded skillset is necessary for the cage, but not for day to day self defense. I posted the article as Ryan put it better than I could.

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/01/2013 10:38am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not that guy Plasma. You know this. That article has nothing to do with this ****. Team Python and I are not some stupid brainwashed fanatics that think "That **** will never work on the street so we won't practice it". I'm not sure about you but I've actually proven this **** over the years in dozens of scenarios.

A boxer can win a street fight, a wrestler can win a street fight, and a person who has only trained sport mma can win a street fight. But ****, a ballet dancer can win a street fight, a yoga practitioner can win a street fight, a computer nerd can win a street fight. Despite this, if you do not train realistically you are going to be ill prepared when it happens. That is the point. Go ahead and argue with me. They've done studies. It's the old saying "As you practice so shall you do". I like Ryan Hall but his **** would've been fucked up if that scenario would have been different. If it had he might've been ill prepared. I don't know if Ryan had prepped in the past for this stuff. You train with him, why don't you ask?

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    1/01/2013 11:45am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    I'm not that guy Plasma. You know this. That article has nothing to do with this ****. Team Python and I are not some stupid brainwashed fanatics that think "That **** will never work on the street so we won't practice it". I'm not sure about you but I've actually proven this **** over the years in dozens of scenarios.

A boxer can win a street fight, a wrestler can win a street fight, and a person who has only trained sport mma can win a street fight. But ****, a ballet dancer can win a street fight, a yoga practitioner can win a street fight, a computer nerd can win a street fight. Despite this, if you do not train realistically you are going to be ill prepared when it happens. That is the point. Go ahead and argue with me. They've done studies. It's the old saying "As you practice so shall you do". I like Ryan Hall but his **** would've been fucked up if that scenario would have been different. If it had he might've been ill prepared. I don't know if Ryan had prepped in the past for this stuff. You train with him, why don't you ask?
    Never argued the point of being well rounded. The point of the thread was the "path BJJ has taken." BJJ has never been a well rounded art, despite what the Gracie's preached. It's an art specialized in submission grappling. My argument is just because inverted guard and X guard are the norm doesn't mean the core basics applicable to self defense are gone.

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/01/2013 12:03pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma View Post
    Never argued the point of being well rounded. The point of the thread was the "path BJJ has taken." BJJ has never been a well rounded art, despite what the Gracie's preached. It's an art specialized in submission grappling. My argument is just because inverted guard and X guard are the norm doesn't mean the core basics applicable to self defense are gone.

Dude, you've drank too much of the fucking kool aid.

Posted On:
    1/01/2013 12:06pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This "street fight" talk makes me want to vomit. The street fight will usually be won by the bigger, more athletic, more aggressive opponent that strikes first. Usually a sucker punch. Whether you spend your time in sport jiujitsu or self defense jiujitsu will make little difference. If you avoid the fight or recognize before the other guy that a fight is inevitable and sieze the initiative your chances of a good outcome are infinately better than reacting and playing catch up with whatever the hell you've been training in.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast