Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/28/2013 11:39am

Style: 空手 / &#2147

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah the kata; nice for developing technical skills but inferior to resistance training (kumite or irikumi)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/09/2013 6:57pm

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Moenstah View Post
    Ah the kata; nice for developing technical skills but inferior to resistance training (kumite or irikumi)
    I would respectfully disagree here. I would put kata on an equal par with resistance training and basics.

Coming from a Kyokushin background, I have seen many heavyweights come through the ranks that have virtually disregarded the more technical aspects of the syllabus, preferring to resistance train and spar as that is the stuff they are initially better at. Meanwhile the lighter weights are working harder on their technique purely out of necessity; eventually it gets to the point where the heavier guys are getting their arse handed to them simply because they can't keep up.

Funnily enough it then tends to reverse, with the heavier guys getting more technical and the lighter guys starting to hit the weights! Usually by about Shodan level (if the student sticks it through) it has all balanced out, and everyone gets their arse kicked equally :)
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123