Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/13/2012 7:28pm

Style: Judo-Brown

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_seth_l View Post
    If your goal is strength, then nothing will help you more than a gym membership or a barbell set. Body weight exercises can only take you so far. If you do the basic compound movements (squat, bench, deadlift, etc) you will get strong. Keeping the reps below five will build strength, but will not build mass. You don't have to be afraid of getting bulky.

Edit: Also, in reference to frequency, take 48 hours between strength training like this.
    But 99% of people never come close to maximizing the strength gains body weight excercises can give.

How many one arm pull ups, single leg squats, or one arm hand stand push ups can you do?

Don't get me wrong I love weight training, but that's only because I'm too lazy to spend the time needed to be able to maximize the potential of body weight excerices.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/13/2012 9:04pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's true, most people probably don't. It takes less time and is easier using resistance.

Pistols are great. They're good for helping your squat and would probably help your vertical. I can do a few myself, haha. They're a good unilateral exercise. I've never tried a one-handed handstand push-up or one arm pull ups ( I'm pretty good at the two-handed variations however!). I think those are more feats of strength/skill and though nice in and of themselves, aren't as efficient as building muscle or strength.

I'm not hating on bw exercises. They're great for building up to a baseline of athleticism. But to me, weight training is easier to get you beyond that baseline.

Posted On:
    12/14/2012 7:41pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RandomTriangle View Post
    But 99% of people never come close to maximizing the strength gains body weight excercises can give.

How many one arm pull ups, single leg squats, or one arm hand stand push ups can you do?

Don't get me wrong I love weight training, but that's only because I'm too lazy to spend the time needed to be able to maximize the potential of body weight excerices.
    While bodyweight training is great, I wouldn't say that one should maximize bodyweight training before incorporating barbell work. If someone is too weak to overhead press 100 pounds, as I was, telling them to get a one-arm handstand pushup first is not ideal. The barbell is simply unmatched for rapid and remarkable return on investment when it comes to strength.

That said, I'm a fan of Ido Portal's advice: bodyweight exercises for upper-body pushing and pulling, barbells for squats and deadlifts. Those are the fastest ways to improve physicality with the most carryover to other activities. (I'd add that once those fundamental bases are covered you should feel free work on anything you want: pistols, one-arm chins, Olympic lifts for power...)
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123