Welterweight

Posted On:
    10/30/2012 7:58pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by thrutch View Post
    That might work, but only if they then remade "Point Break" with Ford in the Busey role.

"Speak into the microphone, squid brain!"

Deal.

Posted On:
    10/30/2012 7:58pm

Style: BJJ, MMA, JJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    this made me scratch my head:

Disney is buying the Star Wars franchise for the same amount that all 6 Star Wars movies together made?!? That seems pretty optimistic. I'm wondering what the Star Wars merchandise makes compared to the movie revenue.
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    That's just the movies, you need to look at EVERYTHING.
    Industrial Light and Magic.
    The Lost ARc movies.
    DVD sales.
    TV Shows

They are going to get
    Let's not forget the computer games (including the collaborations with lego etc.), merchandise, trademarks, cross advertising contracts on various media platforms *cough*youtube*cough*, royalties on all the EU products (like books), revenues generated by the websites, themeparks etc. etc. etc. With Discount rates up at the moment with the global economic uncertainty this was probably a very good price for Disney.

Quote Originally Posted by slamdunc View Post
    I'm sure the bean-counters will be able to calculate that down to the dime.
    There is actually a fair amount of subjectivity regarding calculating a business' worth, let alone a number of different accepted ways of coming up with it. They can incorporate forecasts of the business' performance, greater economic forecasts (which for a company this size would need to be global), assumptions around the sustainability of the market for the acquired productsas, forecasts on new potential products as well as potential new competitors etc. This is all on top of an evalaution of the net assets of the current business.

I would love to be able to peruse the workings on both sides and see how the comparative methods and assumptions both sides had made.
    Last edited by cualltaigh; 10/30/2012 8:05pm at .
    Dum spiro, spero.
    Tada gan iarracht.

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    10/30/2012 8:20pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The internet is buzzing today, indeed.

I share IIF's opinion: This is probably the dawn of a new golden age for SW, at least judging by how Disney treated other 3rd party IPs they acquired. Like, even if they miss the mark, they don't go full retard, like Big George did.

I would just wonder how they are going to continue from now - the Star Wars Expanded Universe, especially the later tales of the lifes of Luke and the gang would make a BAD, BAD continuation (except for a piece of literature called the Thrawn trilogy that is really beautiful). KOTOR might make for a great movie series, too, but, really, as a movie-based franchise, I wonder how they want to make it work. Unless we're going to see a reboot, or whatever.

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/30/2012 8:26pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go Read Dark Horse Comics Dark Empire. It fits perfectly with what was established in The New trilogy concerning clones. I'd love to see that tweaked and made into a movie.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    10/30/2012 8:29pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My kid alone has $4 billion worth of light sabers.

Posted On:
    10/30/2012 8:34pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dude if they make a Shadow of the Empire Legos Star Wars than I will be super stoked

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    10/30/2012 8:38pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's a good chance the next movie will suck ass but I'll have to see it anyway. Like I'll have to see the Red Dawn remake even though I know it will blow.

Posted On:
    10/30/2012 8:44pm

Style: BBT/BJJ/CJKD

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just learned of this deal.

I don't know about the rest of you, but this news in the wake of the hurricane, now has me convinced the Mayans are right about December 2012: The End is Nigh.

I'll be listening to Coast to Coast AM now, and waiting for the Yellowstone caldera to explode.

In the immortal words of See Threepio, "We're Doomed."

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/30/2012 9:05pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Styygens View Post
    I just learned of this deal.

I don't know about the rest of you, but this news in the wake of the hurricane, now has me convinced the Mayans are right about December 2012: The End is Nigh.

I'll be listening to Coast to Coast AM now, and waiting for the Yellowstone caldera to explode.

In the immortal words of See Threepio, "We're Doomed."
    Yes, and I bet you went broke buying water and gas powered generators before December 31, 1999.

Good and funny times.

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    10/30/2012 9:07pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Go Read Dark Horse Comics Dark Empire. It fits perfectly with what was established in The New trilogy concerning clones. I'd love to see that tweaked and made into a movie.
    Ah, I had forgotten about that one. That would be beautiful, indeed.

I just have to say, Star Wars has gone so downhill, I don't believe it will recuperate. Mostly, because the guys currently writing for the line are simply not very skilled, a general trend among contract writers. Even Dark Empire is twenty years old already, and what came after it was increasingly weak, and I can't quite think that the line will rest all that long on the writings of Kevin J Anderson and R A Salvatore.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast