Page 1 of 4 1234 Last
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Finding an Association

    Hi everyone, I'm new here and I need some help. I've been involved in some type of martial arts for a very long time. When I competed (many years ago) I was a member of an organization and they handled everything for me. But my membership expired and I trained intermittenly for quite a while afterwards.

    I've recently decided to catch myself up on everything. My skills are probably a little rusty (I try to keep myself up to date but its tough with lack of resources). But its virtually impossible for me to go to an actual instructor in my area because nobody really teaches my style here. Even if I go 50 miles away, I'm the same rank as the head instructor!!! I'm no longer a member of an organization and the one I was in has apparently dissolved since then.

    What organization would you recommend? I'm hoping to find one thats reputable but doesn't have a large amount of political BS. I keep researching them but I either seem to find a bunch of diploma mills or organizations that want to nitpick every little detail of your life despite the fact that they don't even have experience in your style. I wouldn't even bother joining an organization except for the fact that I'm hoping to get some type of standard curriculum in which to guide myself with.

    Does anyone have any suggestions?

  2. #2
    slamdunc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    2,301
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido. Is your heart set on continuing training Hapkido?

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Edinburgh, UK
    Posts
    146
    0
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey, it's a fellow noob!
    The fine sir above me poses a good question: are you sure hapkido is your thing? It seems to have a pretty poor rep, and with good reason.
    If you're not 100% set on hapkido then I think the first advice you're going to get is to consider other martial arts first.

  4. #4
    Miguksaram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    3,525
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gluckmann View Post
    Hey, it's a fellow noob!
    The fine sir above me poses a good question: are you sure hapkido is your thing? It seems to have a pretty poor rep, and with good reason.
    If you're not 100% set on hapkido then I think the first advice you're going to get is to consider other martial arts first.
    A poor rep according to who? HKD is a good art to study so long as you have the right teacher. Like any art it is the teacher that will make it good or bad.

    Have you been involved in HKD through out your training or is just the curren MA that you are doing? How far have you reached in the MA. That type of information will allow us to try and point you in the right direction.

    Finally...any organization is going to have a hint of politics in them. It is just the way it is.
    Jeremy M. Talbott

    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...


    SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Edinburgh, UK
    Posts
    146
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguksaram View Post
    A poor rep according to who? HKD is a good art to study so long as you have the right teacher. Like any art it is the teacher that will make it good or bad.
    Perhaps that was a bit unwarranted. Seems to be a fair bit of hate for it on this site though

    I seem to hear a lot more about this:





    Than about the full-contact kind.
    Fair point about the teacher though - I know hapkido has some really great stuff in it.

  6. #6
    DerAuslander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    18,449
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If the dude wants to study Hapkido, let him study Hapkido.

    Did it ever occur to you that people might study martial arts for reasons other than becoming the most supremely effective fighter EVAR!!!

  7. #7
    Miguksaram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    3,525
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gluckmann View Post
    Perhaps that was a bit unwarranted. Seems to be a fair bit of hate for it on this site though
    Usually it stems from one HKD person not representing their art very well, by either thinking that it is the ultimate martial art or are just misinformed about their art and thereby inviting people to nitpick it to death. I studied hapkido and love it.

    Anyway, still waiting to hear back from the OP to the other questions I asked.
    Jeremy M. Talbott

    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...


    SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

  8. #8
    Chili Pepper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,389
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by donkjrs View Post
    What organization would you recommend? I'm hoping to find one thats reputable but doesn't have a large amount of political BS.
    BS and organizations (most especially martial arts orgs) go hand-in-hand. I think part of your problem is your mindset, that you're looking specifically for an organization, rather than an instructor.

  9. #9
    slamdunc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    2,301
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    If the dude wants to study Hapkido, let him study Hapkido.
    I agree. I wasn't ripping on Hapkido; my point was that if he is looking to join an organization, it may not be the easiest way to go. Chili Pepper explains why.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chili Pepper View Post
    BS and organizations (most especially martial arts orgs) go hand-in-hand. I think part of your problem is your mindset, that you're looking specifically for an organization, rather than an instructor.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    4
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What part of Texas are you located? if Austin, Round Rock, Ceder Hills or Canyon Lake. I recommended Round Rock Academy, Ceder Hlls - Rockhold Karate, Canyon Lake - college of martial arts.. these studio is affliated with Hwa Rang World Tang Soo Do Federation. Best Wishes and Be Well.

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO