Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/11/2013 11:08am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Fraud in Martial Arts awareness society

https://www.facebook.com/FraudInMartialArts/notes

An interesting facebook group I came across, as I do enjoy people poking fun at The Jitsu Foundation because they get so defensive :) Do you think the accusations provided by this facebook group against the Jitsu Foundation are reasonable? I was surprised not to find any mention of them on bullshido. The group does seem to be more of an advocate of RBSD though...

In other news, I am finally getting surgery for hip problems that I strongly suspect were caused by my jitsu foundation training. I should hopefully be back for BJJ in the middle of next year :D

If all of that isn't your thing, so that this hasn't been a waste of time, have a look at this little essay:

http://www.artsci.wustl.edu/~grussel...iciousness.pdf

Provides a good analysis of the cult-ish beliefs you often get in crappy martial arts.
    Attached Images  

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/13/2013 10:49pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JudoA View Post
    https://www.facebook.com/FraudInMartialArts/notes

An interesting facebook group I came across, as I do enjoy people poking fun at The Jitsu Foundation because they get so defensive :) Do you think the accusations provided by this facebook group against the Jitsu Foundation are reasonable? I was surprised not to find any mention of them on bullshido. The group does seem to be more of an advocate of RBSD though...

In other news, I am finally getting surgery for hip problems that I strongly suspect were caused by my jitsu foundation training. I should hopefully be back for BJJ in the middle of next year :D

If all of that isn't your thing, so that this hasn't been a waste of time, have a look at this little essay:

http://www.artsci.wustl.edu/~grussel...iciousness.pdf

Provides a good analysis of the cult-ish beliefs you often get in crappy martial arts.
    Not commenting on the "foundation" thing, but I thought that pdf was a great read, I would be interested in seeing what other bullshido members think of it. Also, I didn't know about that quote from the Buddha in there, it sounds like he would have fit in at Bullshido.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/14/2013 4:38pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    they have been mentioned a few time and in some detail, I think you need to sharpen your search fu

There are a few threads this is the most detailed

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=99248

I think the general consensus was that they are pretty harmless mainly student clubs where drinking and meeting new people is more important that fighting skills. They play at aliveness with something they call Randori nationals but they don't spend anywhere near enough time to hone those skills
    Last edited by Nickosaurus; 10/14/2013 4:45pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/14/2013 5:37pm

Style: aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The FIMAAS has been discussed extensively on MAP. From what I can tell, the "Society" is a small Facebook community of self-important traditionalists who want to be Bullshido when they grow up, but who do a lot of things that make them less credible than Bullshido. They censor comments that disagree with the findings of their "investigations". They make up arbitrary, absolute definitions distinguishing "martial arts" from "combat sports". They crusade against "cultural theft" and for traditional authenticity, which ends up being at odds with their stated goal of protecting consumers from ineffective training.

And of course, since they're just a small Facebook community, they have very little readership outside of their actual membership, which means that most of what they're doing is just circle-jerking.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/14/2013 6:23pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just spent a bit of time reading the FIMAAS facebook page and the article on the TFS it seems to be a lot of self righteous talk about frauds selling inferior TMA Bulls**t when a potential student could be learning the real deadly stuff from them with they understanding of the real Jujutsu and based on their lineage requirements it probably boils down to a few old school in Japan I doubt they even really qualify. There seems to be zero interest in weather these techniques have any practical value outside of static drills.

Maybe they are trying to lookout for the man on the street but they seem more concerned with their own importance.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/14/2013 6:59pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Disastorm View Post
    Not commenting on the "foundation" thing, but I thought that pdf was a great read, I would be interested in seeing what other bullshido members think of it. Also, I didn't know about that quote from the Buddha in there, it sounds like he would have fit in at Bullshido.
    Yep, the pdf was worth the read. When i read the title "Epistemic Viciousness in the Martial Arts" I was like "uhm yeah, yes, uhm I will read that later" but turned out not bad. Though of course nothing really new has been said.

The one thing a bit annoying was the author acting like MA is the only field full of bullshit. You will find this behavior everywhere.

Buddha hasn’t written anything himself. It is up to the interpretation of his followers. You could as well find some cool Jesus quotes but the **** that is far away seems always cooler.