Style
    Kyokushin/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Starting Muay Thai

For the vast majority of my life thus far I have not been someone that presents any type of physical threat whatsoever. Video games and comic books always appealed a lot more to me than sports, and on the few occasions that physical violence did enter my life my approach was just to stand there and take it. That being said, in recent years I have gotten tired of being kicked around, and discovered that I enjoy travelling alone in parts of the world where such things are not considered to be a good idea. A few months ago I started going to the gym to work out four time per week, and now I have also started Muay Thai.

After doing a ton of research (and lurking here for awhile), I decided that Muay Thai seemed like a good fit for me, and the best place for that reasonably close to my house was Portland Thai Boxing. Yesterday I went for my first session, and I really enjoyed it.

Warm-up consisted of some stretching and some movement drills. After that, everyone partnered up and took turns practicing kicks (25 per leg thrown at thai pads), before transitioning into taking turns practicing various combinations. The last 15min or so of the class was devoted to light sparring. When all was said and done, I really enjoyed myself. The instructor seemed knowledgeable, and everyone there was really helpful and encouraging. After that there was a BJJ class that I didn't stay for that almost everyone else did.

I'm definitely going back next week, and I suspect that Muay Thai will be a very positive addition to my life.

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Weird, sounds a lot like my classes.

Style
    Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds like a good place. Try and go a minimum of three times a week for some real and fast improvements, and don't forget to eat better, and sleep more! you need days off to let your body heal.
    Ask your coach what to focus on when you are in the weight lifting gym.
    And read some about sport diets, if you do MT three times a week plus a couple more weight lifting sessions, you need to sleep a lot, and eat responsibly.
    Hope it will boost your confidence to keep off fights but not feel bad about it :)

Style
    Kyokushin/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've already tried to drastically reduce my carbohydrate intake, and I've completely cut out processed sugars. My main concern is that I do have some pretty bad insomnia issues. And yes. It's gonna be three times a week minimum. Four if I can manage it.

Style
    Kyokushin/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've already tried to drastically reduce my carbohydrate intake, and I've completely cut out processed sugars. My main concern is that I do have some pretty bad insomnia issues. And yes. It's gonna be three times a week minimum. Four if I can manage it.

Style
    Cross Fit, small arms.
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's a great starting style and I think you'll get loads out if it and depending on how you develop and if the training is as good as it sounds you'll increase your odds of doing well in altercations by a million fold.

Good choice and good luck.
    Ne Obliviscaris

Style
    Kyokushin/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On the diet end, I've cut down on carbs a lot, and processed sugars are completely off the table. I plan on training three to four days per week depending on how much schoolwork I have. My main problem is going to be sleep. I have some serious insomnia problems.