Page 1 of 6 12345 ... Last

Style
    Folk Wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Help finding a Martial Art for our 7 year old son

Hello, I'm new to the site and hopefully I put this in the correct place� if not feel free to move this thread to the proper board.

We're looking for advice for my 7 year old son. We are trying to choose a discipline/style for him. He tells me that he wants a style where he�s on his feet, so obviously BJJ is out.

My wife and I would like to choose a style that would help him to control his anger instead of lashing out without thinking. He does have trouble at school with "hitting" people, mainly bonking people on the top of the head while in the lunch line. He does this when he's bored or overstimulated.

We would like to find a style that can be used effectively later in life. I've been told by many people that arts such as Tae Kwan Do are flashy and look pretty but in an actual fight it's mostly worthless. So I would like to take that off the board also. I would also like to take Karate off the board (seems that every kid gets pushed into it) and Muay Thai (I would like to learn it but we think it's too aggressive for a 7 year old to learn).

We live in Wichita, Kansas and there is a local Kung Fu School. They have classes in Shaolin Kung Fu and Baguazhang. I don't know anything about either one of them and I have no idea if they would be a good fit for our son.

Now that you have some background info, I would like some suggestions/comments on where we should look. We do plan on going to visit multiple places and watch the classes. It was also suggested to watch the Schools "best" students and see if they are like what we want our son to be when he gets to their level of competence.

Thanks

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Being a Judo coach/sensei, I suggest Judo. You should check out the Judo clubs in your area. Here is one. I'm not endorsing it, just using it as a starting point.

You mentioned "real fights" vis a vis taekwondo... My opinion as a coach and father of two boys (8 and 10 years old) is that worrying about real fights is, well, silly. You son needs a place to constructively vent his energy in a controlled environment, maybe a place he can learn to understand his feelings of aggression, learn new physical skills, and (don't take offense) get away from his parents.

Any judo club you check out should be associated with one of the national judo organizations, USA Judo, the United States Judo Federation, or the United States Judo Association. If it is not, don't go there. All three of those federations have strong quality control.

Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    BJJ, wrestling
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judo or wrestling. Grappling martial arts are excellent for children as they teach them to restrain or hold down other kids in altercations. This minimizes legal liability as well getting them into less trouble than if they hit the other kid.

They also offer excellent exercise and physical discipline.

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I also would go with Judo. That being said if you have a local BJJ place I would take him on down there to try out. I wouldn't give too much stock to what a 7 year old thinks without trying things first.

Style
    street paddleboarding
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I recommend judo to parents. He says he wants to learn a standup martial art, and that's a fine thing to get him into (boxing, kyokushin etc), but does your 7 year old know enough about martial arts to have such a preference? At 7, I'm guessing his martial arts knowledge comes from movies and video games, not anything real. He'd probably also prefer to eat candy instead of real food because kids aren't great decision makers.

Style
    Folk Wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    My opinion as a coach and father of two boys (8 and 10 years old) is that worrying about real fights is, well, silly.
    I said that is what I have been told.. not what I "worry about". If I was worried about real fights I wouldn't have taken Muay Thai off the board :)

Thanks for all the replys. So Judo, wrestling or BJJ so far. I can teach him wrestling, if it comes to that, so Judo and BJJ still options.
    What do you guys think about Baguazhang? When I looked it up they said it wasn't pure striking and wasn't pure grappling, some of both... which sounds really good but I don't know anything about the art.

I do like the point about restraining other kids rather than punch/kicking them.

So far, all good stuff.

Style
    FMA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    IF your kid is already hitting other kids martial arts might not be the best thing for him just yet. Have you thought about sports? Get him into a sport, it may just help him get into a good college some day, you can't say the same for martial arts. If you must teach your kid martial arts arts check out wrestling and of course the already mentioned judo.

Style
    Folk Wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jspeedy View Post
    IF your kid is already hitting other kids martial arts might not be the best thing for him just yet. Have you thought about sports? Get him into a sport, it may just help him get into a good college some day, you can't say the same for martial arts. If you must teach your kid martial arts arts check out wrestling and of course the already mentioned judo.
    Yeah, we've tried sports... He currently plays soccer, basketball, baseball and takes gymnastics. We may try football within the next year or so.

I was hoping that he could find a mentor/teacher in a martial art that could teach him how to control his anger. As was said above, sometimes you just need to get away from your parents.

Style
    aikido
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Everyone else here is recommending judo for some very good reasons, but the truth is that if you enroll the kid in something he's not interested in he'll just resent you and quit in a couple weeks.

Your primary concerns are (a) finding a place that teaches something he'll enjoy and want to stick with, (b) finding a place that isn't going to lock you into a long, expensive contract, and (c) finding a place that isn't going to try to brainwash him with pseudospiritual nonsense. That's really all that matters with a seven-year-old. You can reevaluate your criteria and your choice when he's 12.

Style
    Kendo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At 7 the most important thing is the instructor. Visit the schools, watch classes, see if they have instructors with the energy and enthusiasm required for kids.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... Last