Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 45678 910111218 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/29/2012 8:00am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
    Blaze, your understanding of judo is tragically flawed. There is nothing soft about it.
    except the name...The best Judoka I've ever trained with was a 4'th dan Japanese student. He was a small skinny guy (very flexible), and had to fight "soft" (very humiliating, i found myself fighting against my own body)..but other than that, the judokas (in israel at least) are basically wrestlers, thick necks, muscular bodies and powerful techniques that require a lot of explosive power to work.

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    10/29/2012 8:38am

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by erezb View Post
    except the name...The best Judoka I've ever trained with was a 4'th dan Japanese student. He was a small skinny guy (very flexible), and had to fight "soft" (very humiliating, i found myself fighting against my own body)..but other than that, the judokas (in israel at least) are basically wrestlers, thick necks, muscular bodies and powerful techniques that require a lot of explosive power to work.
    I bet you still hit the ground hard, though.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    10/29/2012 8:57am

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazeLeeDragon View Post
    - Chinese: 雙節棍, Shuāng Ji Gn; 兩節棍, Liǎng Ji Gn "Dual Section Staff"; 二節棍, r Ji Gn "Two Section Staff";

the proper term in Japan is Nunchaku, however most americans call them "nun-chucks" two section staff is the generic translation.
    No, it's not. See how many misconceptions you have?

Nunchaku is a purely Okinawan weapon.

This is a Chinese two section staff.

Were you taught these erroneous things at Shaolin-Do, or did you pick them up elsewhere?

Posted On:
    10/29/2012 9:01am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BlazeLeeDragon: Judo "softly" dislocated my shoulder three times, before i quit and went to do something less "soft" on my body..like boxing. There was literally not a single fucking time that i finished a judo class without an injury. as a side note, i think the way we trained (competitively) was stupid, too rough and un-healthy, but i could actually have me a judo match after only six months. We also rolled "randori" on the ground from a knee starting position as much as we did standing up. You could even do a triangle chock as long as you kept one hand inside. It is true that they limit stuff in actual competitions to make it a distinctive interesting sport, that does not mean that it is "soft", if i compare my judo experience with the JJJ that trained in my Boxing gym....i never once tapped out or won against a judo black belt, not fucking once. I came close once, but no cigar. I can't say the same with JJJ. (though they even sparred some).
    My recommendation is this: agree (you can do that silently) that you probably need to do a minimum of two full years of something before you can freely (non reserved) give advice on the subject. We don't want noobs coming here and getting a ton of advice, a lot of it is ... less than good, than they will rightfully go around and talk how they got **** advice on the internet (bullshido to be precise). We don't want that here. About the attitude of some people here, well..IMO the biggest trolls will be the mods and veterans of this site that seen it all and done it all, they are bored with stuff that they read for the 1000 time, so they basically hone their e-debating skills, and trash talk on line. My advice, listen to the ones that show you enough respect and ignore the trolls.
    Of course that will be giving up, submitting if you will...it is up to you...if you choose to stay and fight, fight hard and dirty, never give up, never back paddle, attack their quotes and mothers with vigor and you will prevail.
    However, you still had it all wrong with the judo thing...if you are a man of your word, you owe it to us, NO to yourself to go and partake in at least three judo lessons, ask to grapple advanced belts, but remember to tell them before hand that you are pretty sure their sport is not good for self defense. When you'll feel a hard pull on your arm followed by an exploding sensation in your chest, better go limp and tuck your chin...you are in for a soft judo throw!!! fun fun fun.
    I'm pretty sure after that you will talk different about that sport, and you will understand why people here respect it so much. No "hard" feelings..see what i did there? If you post a video of yourself in a judo randori, ill have much respect for you!! and i'll positivly tag your quotes.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/29/2012 9:09am

Style: Karate/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just my 2 pence:

My style is krotty and at our Summer Camp this year we invited two sensei's from the Wycombe Judo Centre, UK, and had a 2 hour session with them. I can assure you it ain't a 'soft art'.

We worked drills, locks and holds and did some ground work/sparring. I came away with many bruises.. I even got tagged to roll around with one of the Judo instructor - My finest moment was when I eventually got him in an arm bar then he perform some kind of 'tactical move' which had me tapping out :Baww:

I really enjoy the art - If finances get any better I may start to take the odd class every now and then.

Posted On:
    10/29/2012 9:17am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
    I bet you still hit the ground hard, though.
    I can't explain the sensation of fear when you just crashed with a heavy body on top of you..There is this instant when everything is numb and you dread what reports are going to come back..if you made it or not. Brr.. Though if two experienced judoka decide to go easy, i can see why someone watching judo on you tube would think it is soft...they flow..and roll on impact nicely. This is what i wanted to do, the reality was a lot of sumo/wrestling/gi pulling face scratching fighting going on that was anything but soft. BTW the only times i did not get injured was with the Japanese guy, he would just sweep my leg as i was just about to step on it gently, and hold my hand while i became one with the Matt. I loved working with him, but the coach's sons (two black belts 18,20 yo guys) would hog him.

Posted On:
    10/29/2012 10:10am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It doesn't stop with Judo. He is a bastion of Google MA knowledge.

He's arguing with me over PMs why it's proper for his school to call a Shaolin two-sectional staff by the American bastardization of the Okinawan "nunchaku", because that's just what they're told.

Calling actual nunchaku "nunchucks" is bad enough.

Why not just call the three-sectional staff nunchucks?

In fact, all in favor of renaming randori "nun chucks"?

**** it...all in favor of renaming Judo "Nun chuck"?

Posted On:
    10/29/2012 10:14am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nun chaku.

Posted On:
    10/29/2012 10:40am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good old google fu and wiki quotes... How i love them.. really, i do.

Posted On:
    10/29/2012 11:18am

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    Why do I find this arousing?
Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 45678 910111218 ... LastLast