Sponsored Links Spacer Image

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    10/29/2012 5:09am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazeLeeDragon View Post
    here, judo throws, they fall to the ground on top of the opponent https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOV3qVIEFng

jiu-jitsu throws they stay standing in a lot of them http://youtu.be/TLztV4pHZKM
    I know the whole aliveness thing has already been discussed, but I don't think these specific videos have been addressed.

What you see in these two videos aren't exactly comparable. In one you have guys competing against each other doing their best to prevent their opponent implement his game-plan cleanly. When they go for a throw their opponent is not going to just let them do it. He'll try to stuff it, or at least land in a position where he has a chance of getting back up while taking less damage.

In the jujutsu video the two guys are cooperating. The guy taking the throw allows his partner to grip up nicely, pick him up and then lands cleanly on his back and waits for him to mime the finishing strike or joint lock then gets back up.

Also, while the competition format of judo does encourage you to follow your opponent to the ground and establish a pin, in regular training you don't usually do this. Most places there isn't enough space to allow fights to continue to the ground without becoming a trip hazard for the other people on the mats. Therefore most of the time you do your throw and either try to remain standing or you get back up as quickly as possible.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/29/2012 5:09am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    No, the issue is people have a decade in an art, said you were wrong and your IDIOTIC response was "IT IS" saying that you were correct.
    I also quoted references to why Judo is called a soft art. I also asked why jujitsu is not more street worthy then Judo. The majority of those posts where based on telling me to shut the **** up. fine, but at last follow it up with fact.

Edit #2:
    No, you don't get to accuse two people of treating you bad and hide in newbietown.
    hide in newbietown? the original post was in newbietown. I am a newbie been posting for a few days. they found me here in newbietown they continue with me in newbietown.

Oh and why the hell are you lying? That is an extremely sanitized version, that puts you in a positive light, of what actually occurred in that thread.
    sanitized how? I linked the original conversation and it all started by me call judo a soft art which I backed up with fact from the internet of definitions. I also stated that jiu-jitsu is more street worthy then judo which was just an opinion which I added was based upon heresay and research not actually practice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/29/2012 5:14am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cualltaigh View Post
    G'day BLD, welcome to Bullshido, seems you're having quite the introduction to the site?!

Quick tip for new players, personal opinions are not a protected species around here. Essentially, if you can't back-up what you're saying with some objective evidence or you are well qualified to speak on a topic (for instance, say at least a judo black belt to opine on judo) then it's probably best not to share said opinion.

Also, you are somewhat lucky in that you are/were posting in Newbietown where you are somewhat protected rather than in YMAS where you'll need a much thicker skin even if you're not being ridiculed. Whilst iy may seem a bit jarring at first, stick around long enough and you may come to love the in your face culture on here, as many of us do.

Think of it like this, imagine if someone had started a Newbietown thread asking about whether to take one of four Chinese martial arts in their area, one of which is Shaolin-Do. How would you take it if I (having never taken a single Chinese Martial Art class in my life) started making a lot of noise that they should take wing chun instead of shaolin-do because I find it better for the str33tz?
    I appreciate it, I'm not too concerned if I was that mad I would just stop posting. I like the direct no bullshit stance I don't like the novels of "you don't know ****" blah blah blah, shut the **** up blah blah blah. instead of the well that's bs because and here is valid information.

Honestly I see it all the time, there are threads on here where people are talking about how the whole art of shaolin-do is bullshit, yet have never taken a class so this would fall into there class stfu catagory. now the ones who have taken classes and didn't like it that's fine at least they are speaking from experience.

I dont' see a problem though with someone with 18 years of experience in martial arts lets say in karate and boxing and seeing a post about "should I take shaolin-do or something else" and they said wing chun instead. based on the heresay from forums or something else. as my main point of the conversation was to do research and find a school.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/29/2012 5:17am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    Well, when it comes down to it; the Judo instructors here would be better qualified to discuss Ippon vs Hansoku-make, the Japanese speakers better to explain the Kanji and Romaji involved, and i recall someone who has a "bit" of Shaolin-Do experience and could better discuss it's merits and shortcomings.

I've just been cringing that this was in newbietown, and assembling a stash of gas cans for the impending fire...
    very practical and I can and will respect that in the future. if that is the way the forums are cool. also when you said shut the **** up and stop muddying up his thread. well I get that so I started a new one because I wasn't finished. If you know martial arts any martial art and give advice on another on something you read. I don't personally see this as a problem considering I didn't say this as an end all be all but encouraged further research. I was also one opinion of MANY. if that's not welcome here fine....

as far as someone who has experienced Shaolin-Do fine, I am directly in the system and would fall into the classification of direct knowledge there at least.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/29/2012 5:20am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    No.

Wrong, yes...

- Chinese: 雙節棍, Shuāng Ji Gn; 兩節棍, Liǎng Ji Gn "Dual Section Staff"; 二節棍, r Ji Gn "Two Section Staff";

the proper term in Japan is Nunchaku, however most americans call them "nun-chucks" two section staff is the generic translation.

The word nunchaku comes from the Ryukyuan languages. The origin of this word is unclear. One theory is that it derived from the pronunciation of the Chinese characters 兩節棍 (a type of traditional Chinese two section staff) in a Southern Fujian dialect of the Chinese language.[1]
    Last edited by BlazeLeeDragon; 10/29/2012 5:21am at . Reason: wanted to add another site calling it two section staff

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/29/2012 5:22am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dflanmod View Post
    Blaze on this site quite unlike the rest of the world we really prefer the opinions of people who actually have experience in the fields for which they offer up advice.

It's really not an overly complex idea. You should mull it over.
    that I can respect. and being a newbie would have been a much nicer way of letting me know. I don't care they where not nice. I'm annoyed that they went on and on and on...sure on reflection I probably should have dropped it...however since i"m not done and dont' know how to shut the **** up thought it would be best to continue here :D

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/29/2012 5:24am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    You're so-o ambitious, aren't you? You know what you look like to me, with your good bag and your cheap shoes? You look like a rube. A well-scrubbed, hustling rube, with a little taste. Good nutrition's given you some length of bone, but you're not more than one generation from poor white trash, are you, Agent Starling? And that accent you've tried so desperately to shed - pure West Virginia. What does your father do? Is he a coal miner? Does he stink of the lamp? You know how quickly the boys found you. All those tedious, sticky fumblings in the back seats of cars, while you could only dream of getting out. Getting anywhere, getting all the way to the F...B...I.
    yeah not a clue what your talking about...I want to continue my conversation on Judo.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/29/2012 5:27am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    Pointing out the fact that your completely ignorant on a subject isn't bashing you. If you really think it is bashing you than you are less mature than my 7 year old daughter.
    You keep saying research yet you don't even know the most BASIC rules of Judo, the victory conditions. News flash breaking an arm in Judo is a Victory condition not something that disqualifies you. You can also win by rendering your opponent unconscious, pinning them, or throwing them with an ippon quality throw, or having them submit, or being ahead in points at the end of the match.
    fair enough. some of your post got better. such as this one. still many of my questions where left unanswered and like I said before. I didn't see a problem with giving opinions on things you've read about or talked about if you didnt' have direct experience. if that's a problem here fine...so I repeat directly to you since you do have direct experience...why is judo more street worthy?

as to the soft part I have back that up with defintions from the internet every instructor and fellow martial arts agrees with these definitions of soft and hard arts. when they are used, which is not often. if your telling me I'm wrong there as well I would like to see references please.

as to the rest on judo I'll take your word for it as once again I get you've been doing and practicing hands on.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/29/2012 5:31am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    instead of doing a post by post rebut-all
    HOLY FUCKING ****, you got to be fucking kidding me.
    You do not understand the Causal relationship between Limb Destruction and an Arm Bar?
    For **** sakes you are NOT qualified to teach any person Self Defense I highly suggest that you return any money you have made from teaching lessons as well as do what you can to repay their time. You sir are an ASSHOLE.
    now your surprising me here. if you dont' know the difference between pushing an arm bar further, and using a the leverage of a body to do the break or dislocation for you? come on you do this stuff as your primary focus don't give me that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/29/2012 5:32am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    I know the whole aliveness thing has already been discussed, but I don't think these specific videos have been addressed.

What you see in these two videos aren't exactly comparable. In one you have guys competing against each other doing their best to prevent their opponent implement his game-plan cleanly. When they go for a throw their opponent is not going to just let them do it. He'll try to stuff it, or at least land in a position where he has a chance of getting back up while taking less damage.

In the jujutsu video the two guys are cooperating. The guy taking the throw allows his partner to grip up nicely, pick him up and then lands cleanly on his back and waits for him to mime the finishing strike or joint lock then gets back up.

Also, while the competition format of judo does encourage you to follow your opponent to the ground and establish a pin, in regular training you don't usually do this. Most places there isn't enough space to allow fights to continue to the ground without becoming a trip hazard for the other people on the mats. Therefore most of the time you do your throw and either try to remain standing or you get back up as quickly as possible.
    fair enough I'll drop the judo thing.
Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 23456 7891016 ... LastLast