Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 142021222324
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/15/2013 8:25pm

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Serious question: doesn't the Ju in Judo refer more to "suppleness" and "subtlety" than to "gentle" or "soft"?

That is what my instructors (even the Japanese ones) tended to say. I remember a lot of "Ju means soft... well kind of. More like supple or yielding... but all of my body parts don't work properly from years of Judo... so, practice your ukemi so you don't get hurt as much." conversations.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/16/2013 10:24am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Krijgsman View Post
    Serious question: doesn't the Ju in Judo refer more to "suppleness" and "subtlety" than to "gentle" or "soft"?

That is what my instructors (even the Japanese ones) tended to say. I remember a lot of "Ju means soft... well kind of. More like supple or yielding... but all of my body parts don't work properly from years of Judo... so, practice your ukemi so you don't get hurt as much." conversations.
    That kinda sums up my experiance with the ju discussion as well. That being said gentle way sounds more poetic so thats what generally gets thrown around.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/01/2013 12:42am

Style: Judo, BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't all jump on me about this one, but certain moves in Judo do indeed SEEM "soft." An example would be last night when I performed tsubame gaeshi while in randori and my opponent hit the ground with all the force of his own footswep.

does that count as a "soft" sort of move if i am literally using an opponents energy that way? Also, it was "hard" as hell to learn it to the point where I could pull if off in randori! Had to mess it up a million times to be able to get it even occasionally

my own experience : 4 years in Judo and practicing regularly (sankyu brown belt)

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/01/2013 12:58am

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You read the title and did not read the thread, didn't you?

That's the only REASON to bump this thread, with that video and ask that question.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 5/01/2013 11:53am at .
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 142021222324