Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 61213141516 17181920 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/30/2012 10:26pm

Style: Thai Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazeLeeDragon View Post

of course, of course...muay thai wouldn't be illegal in the states...at all...
    maybe
    Yeah, I know I'm late replying to this, but I don't give a ****. There's nothing fucking illegal about Muay Thai in America. And there are Muay Thai associations in America. Just because it happens to be in America doesn't mean it falls under American Kickboxing rules, you magnificent retard.

Also, the video is fucking a demonstration. Those guys are clearly showing off more than they're fighting.

In summary, you're wrong about Judo and you're wrong about Muay Thai. Your words are mind cancer. Not brain cancer, mind cancer. They're damaging my thoughts.
    Last edited by Magpie McGee; 10/30/2012 10:27pm at . Reason: Added spaces for aesthetic purposes

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/30/2012 11:03pm

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Blaze,

I've read your website, Facebook and watched a few of your videos. This to let you know I've looked into the window that is you online. You seem like a caring person, albeit a bit 'out there' in my opinion. Granted, I'm a relatively old fart here.

Consider the offer of one months judo lessons earlier posted. I don't give up confidential information from PMs and this can be arranged via the dojo of your choice. No, I won't pay via PayPal on your web site. You should understand that this offer is made purely for my entertainment and in no way to embarrass you.

Entertainment value comes from you posting your experience here or in another thread started in the training log portion of this site. The training log area is moderated heavily and you needn't worry about being trolled.

You haven't trained 'hard' from reading your now edited 'about me' profile. Hard arts aren't when they're trained in a compliant manner. You've yet to train against a fully resisting opponent and one month of judo will open your eyes regarding the difference between definition and definitive truth.

If you're serious about training martial arts you should find this offer hard to refuse. Easy to refuse if you're content with the current training and collecting junk wall hanger swords/knives/spears, etc.

Judo has rules as does any sport. The rules are, for the most part, to ensure safety to the degree that being hit with mother earth will allow. Self defense? You can alter almost any technique within the judo syllabus and and turn it easily into a devastating combat tactic. Add the ability to punch/kick and you have what you won't get from the vast majority of JJJ schools.

No need to answer now, give it some thought.

Joe

Ghost of Kawaishi

Posted On:
    10/30/2012 11:10pm

Style: judo, parenting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hmm, Judo with strikes and kicking. Judo with the tori remaining standing. Please note the hanging banner.

Oh yeah, JJJ practicioner since 1983, judoka for the last 4 years.

What books do I use for reference? Here a thread from 2009 discussing books http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...t=80511&page=1
    Last edited by Cdnronin; 10/30/2012 11:39pm at .

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    10/30/2012 11:15pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Bruce Lee philosophical bs ahead

Quote Originally Posted by BlazeLeeDragon View Post
    all instructors I have talked to call it a soft art, my brother 2 years of BJJ calls it a soft art, well don't let me miss quote him soft art if done correctly is what I think he said. I dont' remember the magazine or book titles I first read them in or the name of the first instructor to explain it to me.
    This line you and many others perceive between "hard" (active, initiating contact)and "soft" (reactive, deflecting or redirecting contact) arts doesn't really exist in the real world. It's a decent teaching concept, but the boundary people draw between "hard" and "soft" is purely illusory.

During non-compliant sparring, there are moments when you are best served utilizing the "soft" concept that you differentiate. Other times, the "hard" concept is the most appropriate response. As one progresses in skill, there is no doubt that the "soft" option becomes more readily available.

I have experienced this firsthand in my sparring. The older and better I get, the easier it is for me to make the other guy work harder. Despite this, there are still times when a sudden explosive movement is the most applicable to the situation.

There is no "hard" or "soft" as separate entities. There is only the continuum between the two.

Ok, I'm done. Your post gave me an excuse to express a thought that's been knocking around in the back of my head for a while. Thanks.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Posted On:
    10/30/2012 11:23pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One cannot know hard if one does not know soft and vice versa. It is like a cup pointing its way to the moon, don't concentrate on the moon, because then your cup gets overfilled with bullshit. Probably a good idea not to keep your cup near a bovine's arsehole in the first place, what were you thinking?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    Ups to Battlefields for dropping the sage wisdom.

You are like a Pimp Yoda.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
    Battlefields... You're more of a man than I am.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Posted On:
    10/31/2012 1:20am

Style: BJJ/Zumba

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by battlefields View Post
    One cannot know hard if one does not know soft and vice versa. It is like a cup pointing its way to the moon, don't concentrate on the moon, because then your cup gets overfilled with bullshit. Probably a good idea not to keep your cup near a bovine's arsehole in the first place, what were you thinking?
    I would not drink from that bullshit filled cup if I had a two section staff and was able to push it over away from me while I also used nunchuku in my spare hand--just to look really cool.
    Daniel: I don't know if I know enough karate.

Miyagi: Feeling correct.

Daniel: You sure know how to make a guy feel confident.

Miyagi: You trust the quality of what you know, not quantity.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/31/2012 2:18am

Style: Muay Thai/Wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by battlefields View Post
    The real question is, are there two girls with that one cup?

Now iz BBQ Timez?

Posted On:
    10/31/2012 5:25am

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, Relson GJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    This line you and many others perceive between "hard" (active, initiating contact)and "soft" (reactive, deflecting or redirecting contact) arts doesn't really exist in the real world. It's a decent teaching concept, but the boundary people draw between "hard" and "soft" is purely illusory.

During non-compliant sparring, there are moments when you are best served utilizing the "soft" concept that you differentiate. Other times, the "hard" concept is the most appropriate response. As one progresses in skill, there is no doubt that the "soft" option becomes more readily available.

I have experienced this firsthand in my sparring. The older and better I get, the easier it is for me to make the other guy work harder. Despite this, there are still times when a sudden explosive movement is the most applicable to the situation.

There is no "hard" or "soft" as separate entities. There is only the continuum between the two.

Ok, I'm done. Your post gave me an excuse to express a thought that's been knocking around in the back of my head for a while. Thanks.
    True, but this dichotomy is a common one in books and articles on the martial arts. To be fair to Blaze, he didn't invent these categorizations, no matter how inaccurate or misleading they are. I think a lot of the "hard" vs "soft" dichotomy in MA writings comes from the Japanese/Chinese character 柔 (jū, yawara), meaning "soft" or "gentle." It is my understanding, and I may be totally full of ****, that the use of 柔 (jū, yawara) in Jūjutsu (and thus in Judo, too, as Judo is derived from Jūjutsu) was used by pre-Meiji (i.e. pre-1868) practitioners/teachers of Japanese martial arts (i.e. Koryū古流 old style, old manners, old school) to differentiate grappling arts from weapons arts. It had nothing to do with striking v.s. grappling. I think most of us would agree that even ippon seonagi or osoto gari would be relatively more of a gentle application of force when compared to being cut with a sword or shot full of arrows.

Again, many of these throws would incapacitate an opponent landing on a hard surface (e.g. teh st33t), especially if that person doesn't know how to fall properly, so aren't really soft or gentle unless compared to being cut by a sword or poked full of arrows.

In this respect to this interpretation of the use of soft, I think one can also see why Jiguro Kano and many others were advocates of Jūjutsu/Judo as an art for self defense, as it provides the practitioner with a broader range of options as to the application of force.

random stuff:
    Judo highlight reel

Example of why ground fighting is effective for self defense

and because someone mentioned Rhonda Rousey

and because Taekwondo hotness has been lacking up til now

Last edited by TEA; 10/31/2012 6:08am at . Reason: all posts are better with videos and pictures
    Mushi mo atsui hodo
    Mushiatsui

Originally Posted by chuey
    ...Well **** if that isn't the most anti-Mr. Miyagi **** I have heard in ages.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but
    Three rights make a left.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/31/2012 8:25am

Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Late arrival to the thread.

I have done Judo for about one month now, six sessions. It is 'harder' than jiujitsu; it reminds me more of when I wrestled.

Armchair Patton over there needs to actually get off his ass and try Judo for a few weeks :).

Now iz BBQ Timez?

Posted On:
    10/31/2012 8:44am

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, Relson GJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To remedy an oversight in my previous post, Jūjutsu/Judo is only soft or gentle when compared to this:

I really should have provided a true "hard style" video for comparison. Oh, and it my previous post I forgot to mention explosives. Judo is definitely more gentle than getting blown up.
    Mushi mo atsui hodo
    Mushiatsui

Originally Posted by chuey
    ...Well **** if that isn't the most anti-Mr. Miyagi **** I have heard in ages.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but
    Three rights make a left.
Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 61213141516 17181920 ... LastLast