Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/30/2012 6:11pm

Style: FMA/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ahead on points? Drop Seoi with no intention of landing it, grab your own collar, and turtle up tight. Wait for the judge to stand you up, then do it again. This tactic is why it is disliked.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    11/04/2012 4:37pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmonk View Post
    I actually call it seoi otoshi 95% of the time. I have an English degree and a ton of post-graduate work in language, so a small part of me dies when people unnecessarily abbreviate things or use silly nicknames. Etymology iz kewl.

I used "drop seoi" here because some people look at me blankly when I say seoi otoshi, even people who are excellent sambists or judokas.

I think your explanation is pretty thorough. At a tournament the other weekend, I saw 1001 crappy seoi otoshi attempts, and they had to have known they weren't anywhere close to completing that throw. It looked like an easy way to get a reset. Honestly, I can't say that I don't do the same thing sometimes, though, or try to bait my opponent into groundwork with similar tactics.

My "flop" throw is usually tomoenage, tani otoshi, or kosoto gake.
    Well, sorry for the didactic interlude, then. Kind of like a Quaaludes but not quite as fun.

That's precisely the sort of tactic that gets seoi otoshi it's "bad name".

I guarantee I had more than one stalling throw to escape being outgripped. Mine was usually Yoko Tomoe Nage. Saved my bacon many, many times after being outgripped and maneuevered to the edge of the tatami (the other guy was of course trying to force me out or get a stalling/defensive posture penalty because he knew he couldn't throw me, LOL).
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Welterweight

Posted On:
    11/04/2012 5:37pm

supporting member
     Style: belt and jacket wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Well, sorry for the didactic interlude, then. Kind of like a Quaaludes but not quite as fun.

That's precisely the sort of tactic that gets seoi otoshi it's "bad name".

I guarantee I had more than one stalling throw to escape being outgripped. Mine was usually Yoko Tomoe Nage. Saved my bacon many, many times after being outgripped and maneuevered to the edge of the tatami (the other guy was of course trying to force me out or get a stalling/defensive posture penalty because he knew he couldn't throw me, LOL).
    I don't usually get outgripped, but I did like crazy in Moscow... The only thing I could think to do, rather than get thrown into the stratosphere, was go to all fours and try to bait some groundwork. He wasn't having any of it, though.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12