My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    1/28/2014 11:41am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TEA View Post
    Another advantage of a bolt action, aside from price, is that most are a lot lighter than an M14. The main advantage of the M14 is that one can engage multiple targets more quickly than with a bolt action. One can also use the M14 in service rifle competitions, if that is a factor to consider.

M14s are select fire too, right ? So extra cool. Good for use against charging deer and man eating hogzilla. The tax stamp costs a bit more, but what the hell...

I've shot a M1 Garand that was converted to .308 Win. for use in service rifle matches. Way out of price range, but one hell of a shooter.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    1/28/2014 12:06pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is a timely necro as I am also looking for a dual purpose hunting/SHTF .308 rifle that is box magazine fed. I would like to keep the price under $1200, but $1500 is my actual upper limit.

I prefer wood stocks, threaded barrels and iron sights, but the absence of any of these items is not necessarily a deal breaker for me.

Posted On:
    1/28/2014 2:46pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Has anyone shot the 308 in the AR platform?
    You can get 308 uppers for a reasonable price.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    1/28/2014 6:40pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can say from experience that a .308 Win. in a short, light bolt action has a shall we say, intimidating muzzle blast and noise level. I wouldn't go under 20 inches on the barrel.

Yes, I had one, custom built for me back when I graduated from high school...1981. Synthetic stock, Remington 700 action and barrel cut to 20 inches. It weighed maybe 6 pounds loaded with a Leopold 4X fixed scope on it. Blind magazine

Anyway, I loved that rifle, but so did the assholes who broke into my house and stole it along with other items from my apartment. I killed several deer with it before the theft, though.

It was not a rifle to practice a lot with full power loads, even lighter 150 grain bullets. I downloaded for that (hand-loaded even back then).

So beware of going too short/light. If you don't practice, you won't shoot well.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    1/29/2014 10:51pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Ruger Gunsite Scout is pretty hard to argue with as long as you're okay with bolt action. If you're willing to go up in price a bit (or can find a good sale), the Ruger SR 7.62 or SIG 716 would be decent choices. Alternatively, I'd absolutely suggest ordering an AR10 stripped lower and piecing the entire thing out as money becomes available.

Final suggestion: For $1500, you could easily purchase a regular AR15 + a 300 blackout upper. .300 blackout is certainly no replacement for .308, but it can do a lot of what you might want.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    1/29/2014 11:13pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not looking for a bolt action. Keep in mind that this rifle will serve a dual purpose. First as a hunting rifle, but also as a SHTF weapon. I don't want a bolt action as a SHTF weapon.

I'm currently leaning toward Springfield Armory's M1A. They have one called the Scout that has a 18" barrel, midway between their tactical version, called the Socom, that has a 16" barrel and their standard 22" barrel. I like the Scout the most.

Posted On:
    1/29/2014 11:23pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    I'm not looking for a bolt action. Keep in mind that this rifle will serve a dual purpose. First as a hunting rifle, but also as a SHTF weapon. I don't want a bolt action as a SHTF weapon.

I'm currently leaning toward Springfield Armory's M1A. They have one called the Scout that has a 18" barrel, midway between their tactical version, called the Socom, that has a 16" barrel and their standard 22" barrel. I like the Scout the most.
    As long as the rifle fits you, that's a great option. The trigger is a tad heavy for a hunting rifle, but you could work with it.

One last black rifle alternative: DPMS firearms has a perfectly acceptable line of .308 AR10 type rifles that are well within your budget, as long as you're willing to consider non-wood stocks.

http://www.dpmsinc.com/
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    1/30/2014 11:19am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post

I have an M1A Scout. It's badass. If $1500 is your limit, that's going to be tough to find. You MAY find one for that online, but after you pay shipping and the transfer fee you're going to be overbudget.

Also keep in mind quality M1A magazines are expensive as hell and you'll want a good supply in case you have to kill a mob of angry hipsters. I like to stick with the Springfield Armory magazines and they're running around $40-45.

If you can work it out, you'll be happy with the rifle.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/31/2014 5:17am

Style: Western Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Check Stag Arms and Rock River oh yeah DPS. Prices range between 1100and 1995 $$. I have a Armolite AR-10(308). I suggest going with the gas piston . Does get fouled as much which less cleaning. My AR-10 will run cheap ammo , rips off parts of the rimm of the cartridgecausing a jam. Run s perfect Win. 168 gr. and my handloads with a Barnes 150 gr. tipped Triple Shock. This might give you a few directions to look. Joe

Posted On:
    2/11/2014 12:25am

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would really prefer an AR-10 type rifle to an M14/M1A personally. Many of the advantages of the AR-15 over it's competition in a larger caliber and there are TONS of choices on the market, including great options for much less than many of the M1A options available.

I would put the M1A second, though. It's pretty much those two in my book. I'm not that into bolt action rifles.
    "Intelligence is nothing more than discussing things with others. Limitless wisdom comes of this." - 山本 常朝
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast