Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Now iz BBQ Timez?

Posted On:
    10/29/2012 5:31pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, Relson GJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK, I just took a look at Heavenly Warriors by Farris. I was conflating a bit, I think, the curved ring pommel sword, or kantou tachi imported from China via Korea in the 5th and 6th Centuries (Farris, 19 and 20) with the warabite tou developed in the Tohuku in the 8th Century either by the Emishi or by the Court's warriors in the Kanto in response to the curving swords of the Emishi (Farris, 102). According to Farris, "Experts on weapons have surmised that the warabite tou was the direct ancestor of the samurai sword; emishi guards spread its use to the rest of Japan by the ninth century." (ibid, 103)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Warabite To.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	25.0 KB 
ID:	13946Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kanto tachi.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	26.5 KB 
ID:	13947
    Pictures from William Wayne Farris, Heavenly Warriors: The Evolution of Japan's Military, 500 - 1500, (Council on East Asian Studies, Harvard University; Cambridge, Mass. 1992)
    Mushi mo atsui hodo
    Mushiatsui

Originally Posted by chuey
    ...Well **** if that isn't the most anti-Mr. Miyagi **** I have heard in ages.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but
    Three rights make a left.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/29/2012 5:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Which is kinda funny, considering samurai swords are illegal in Japan
    was not aware of that, there is a video nova did where they talk about selling the blades. granted these real deal ones they show are with our tsuka and such. but they also had those practicing the sword art with katanas, not sure what the guild lines are for illegal though in japan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xg5YmyxlO_U

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/29/2012 5:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TEA View Post
    OK, I just took a look at Heavenly Warriors by Farris. I was conflating a bit, I think, the curved ring pommel sword, or kantou tachi imported from China via Korea in the 5th and 6th Centuries (Farris, 19 and 20) with the warabite tou developed in the Tohuku in the 8th Century either by the Emishi or by the Court's warriors in the Kanto in response to the curving swords of the Emishi (Farris, 102). According to Farris, "Experts on weapons have surmised that the warabite tou was the direct ancestor of the samurai sword; emishi guards spread its use to the rest of Japan by the ninth century." (ibid, 103)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Warabite To.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	25.0 KB 
ID:	13946Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kanto tachi.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	26.5 KB 
ID:	13947
    Pictures from William Wayne Farris, Heavenly Warriors: The Evolution of Japan's Military, 500 - 1500, (Council on East Asian Studies, Harvard University; Cambridge, Mass. 1992)

hey thanks for finding that

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    10/29/2012 6:04pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazeLeeDragon View Post
    was not aware of that, there is a video nova did where they talk about selling the blades. granted these real deal ones they show are with our tsuka and such. but they also had those practicing the sword art with katanas, not sure what the guild lines are for illegal though in japan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xg5YmyxlO_U
    Actually I should have rephrased that:
    mass produced wall hanger katanas are illegal to make in Japan. However, traditionally made swords are allowed, if they are made up to spec by a licensed sword maker. You wouldn't see the low quality flea market/swap meet swords there. Some that are considered culturally important can't be exported from Japan either.

http://www.swordforum.com/forums/sho...ese-sword-laws

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/29/2012 6:10pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually I should have rephrased that:
    mass produced wall hanger katanas are illegal to make in Japan. However, traditionally made swords are allowed, if they are made up to spec by a licensed sword maker. You wouldn't see the low quality flea market/swap meet swords there. Some that are considered culturally important can't be exported from Japan either.

http://www.swordforum.com/forums/sho...ese-sword-laws

ah ha, that's helpful thanks ;) that makes sense too since Japan takes great pride in there Katana.

Now iz BBQ Timez?

Posted On:
    10/29/2012 6:12pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, Relson GJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Which is kinda funny, considering samurai swords are illegal in Japan, while China sells boatloads of wall hangers.
    Swords are perfectly legal to own, buy or sell in Japan. Carrying swords is illegal. I've seen quite a few sword shops in Japan and even more touristy shops selling cheap knock offs. I'm not 100% sure, but I think that the ownership of pre-Meiji (i.e. pre-1868) swords is somewhat restricted in that one needs to register these swords with the Ministry of Culture (the Japanese government considers them to be cultural treasures) and the export of these swords is restricted.
    Mushi mo atsui hodo
    Mushiatsui

Originally Posted by chuey
    ...Well **** if that isn't the most anti-Mr. Miyagi **** I have heard in ages.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but
    Three rights make a left.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12