Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/28/2012 4:46pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    Multiple revolvers =/= swapping the chamber
    cute...but that's call swapping the gun and that wasn't the question. TEA was asking if he could buy this guy and mutliple cylinders and then swap them out.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    10/28/2012 5:33pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TEA View Post
    Thanks for that clarification. I thought I remembered a scene from Jose Wales in which Jose changed cylinders on one of his revolvers, but I am probably mistaken. I'm sure if that was possible with the design, then Civil War soldiers would have carried bandoleers with spare loaded cylinders.
    So, a couple things here. The guns in Josie Wales are all jacked up. He's using a few different guns. As for the 1860 Army revolvers he carries, some scenes show the correct cap and ball revolvers. In some scenes he has the 1860 revolvers with a conversion to fire cartridge blanks. This was anachronistic and done simply for safety and convenience while filming. There was a cartridge conversion available at the time but it was distinctive looking and not what you see in the movie.

As for removable cylinders during the Civil War - they had them. Especially later in the war. They could switch out the cylinders similar to a magazine change and they would carry a bag of them. This wasn't possible on the 1860 Army because you have to break the gun down to remove the cylinder. But they were able to do it with some other models.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    10/28/2012 5:42pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TEA View Post
    Thanks for that clarification. I thought I remembered a scene from Jose Wales in which Jose changed cylinders on one of his revolvers, but I am probably mistaken.
    You're thinking of the flick "Pale Rider", presumably some Yankee type can name the weapon featured?

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    10/28/2012 5:49pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post

Wait, you can shoot a .45 slug through the .44 bbl on the percussion pistol? I didn't see a new barrel in that kit?
    Yes, you can. .44 cap and ball revolvers have a .452 bore. Also, you have to use lead bullets with the conversions.

Posted On:
    10/28/2012 6:09pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
    You're thinking of the flick "Pale Rider", presumably some Yankee type can name the weapon featured?

That's a Remington 1858 New Army.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/28/2012 6:10pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    That's awesome you know that :D

Posted On:
    10/28/2012 7:16pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    That's the model I'm looking at on Cabela's.

Steel framed 1858 + Kirst civil war conrverter = @ $510.

No "competitive" value wise against modern firearms but that loophole is cool as hell especially for areas with heavy restrictions on centerfire hundguns.

Versatility wise this setup is darn usefull. It's a lot easier to make black powder from scratch than smokless. This is a weapon system that can fire cartidges or BP loads if cartridges are nowhere to be found. Some BP revolvers can even fire shot apparently. Making them great bush guns if not "weapons of war". More frontier utility than John Woo bullet hose. Nothing wrong with that IMHO.

Even in and emergency, defensively speaking five shots are a lot better than none if TSHTF.

I like this find Devil!

Posted On:
    10/28/2012 9:33pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    That's the model I'm looking at on Cabela's.

Steel framed 1858 + Kirst civil war conrverter = @ $510.

No "competitive" value wise against modern firearms but that loophole is cool as hell especially for areas with heavy restrictions on centerfire hundguns.

Versatility wise this setup is darn usefull. It's a lot easier to make black powder from scratch than smokless. This is a weapon system that can fire cartidges or BP loads if cartridges are nowhere to be found. Some BP revolvers can even fire shot apparently. Making them great bush guns if not "weapons of war". More frontier utility than John Woo bullet hose. Nothing wrong with that IMHO.

Even in and emergency, defensively speaking five shots are a lot better than none if TSHTF.

I like this find Devil!
    Write a review if you get it. It would be a cool setup. It is versatile and cowboy guns are fun anyway.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    10/28/2012 11:22pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a huge respect for blackpowder weapons whether or not the gun control crowd is really aware of them. Have you seen the size of a musket ball? Can you imagine one of those things going through your chest at low velocity? Also, old school muskets with bayonets are pretty badass melee weapons.

It all just goes back to how the gun control crowd is ignorant and pretty much driven by sensationalism, instead of any real understanding of trauma, wounding, and the capabilities of archaic weapon systems.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/29/2012 4:20am

Style: Jhoon Rhee Tae-Kwon-Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have an 1858 Remington reproduction. I love it. Yes you can exchange cylinders for a faster reload. But it's still nothing like slapping in a clip. Especially when you've been shooting for a little while and you get fouling on the cylinder pin. Also for the op if you use the lubricated black powder revolver wads you don't have to grease the cylinder to prevent chain firing. It's not authentic, but it's a lot more convenient.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast